McCain speaks out against attack ads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoveTown

Refugee
We had a thread here some time ago that discussed Kerry's military record and it stated that many of Kerry's own men did not support him. Well McCain is now speaking out against the ads that state the same thing. Why am I posting this? Hopefully to correct any of the damage done to Kerry's repuation by the thread that was previously posted.

Here are two links for those of you that wish to read them.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic.../08/05/politics1020EDT0544.DTL&type=printable

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/05/kerry.mccain.ap/index.html

That's one guy. You can read his story here.

The rest of the "Swift Boat Veterans For Truth" never served on a boat with Kerry. The leader of the group was on the boat Kerry commanded after Kerry left.

nbc I think that was something that some supporters of Kerry used to fight back against the attack ads. Of course, they should have gotten all the facts instead of just saying it but they didn't they just lashed back by saying those speaking out against him just had an axe to grind.

Anyway, the truth is coming out now and truth is always good.

LoveTown said:
nbc I think that was something that some supporters of Kerry used to fight back against the attack ads. Of course, they should have gotten all the facts instead of just saying it but they didn't they just lashed back by saying those speaking out against him just had an axe to grind.

Anyway, the truth is coming out now and truth is always good.

Some of them might legitimately have an axe to grind. Roy Hoffman, for example. Douglas Brinkley recounts the following in Kerry's biography:
Kerry would never forget how ardently Captain Hoffman lauded the exploits of one ?enterprising officer? from the Danang Swift division. The officer had surprised some thirty Vietnamese who were fishing in round, floating baskets just off the shore of a peninsula in an area that was, unfortunately for them, a free fire zone. Hoffman considered it ideal military thinking that the Swift skipper had shown the presence of mind to sneak his boat in between the baskets and the shore, cutting the fisherman off from escape and then opening fire on them. All the baskets were sunk, and so were the fishermen. ?Fantastic,? Hoffman reportedly proclaimed upon hearing the news.

He may not have liked Kerry coming back and denouncing free fire zones.

yeah I think you are right to point out that example ThatGuy.

I don't want to pass judgement on any of the guys that served in Viet Nam because it must have been hell but it seems like most of the Viet Nam vets that have a problem with Kerry have problems with the fact that he spoke out against the war after the fact.

It's ironic, though, because Kerry wasn't speaking out against the vets, he was speaking out against the government that got them into and perpetuated the war. It's been shown that the Nixon administration tried to discredit Kerry at the time by portraying him as being anti-veteran.

I've posted this before, but it's too important not to see. It's Kerry's testimony in front of the Foreign Relations Committee.
http://www.cwes01.com/13790/23910/ktpp179-210.pdf

I agree totally ThatGuy. Kerry NEVER said the vets were bad. He just disagreed with the war itself.

Yeah because calling the Vets War Criminals before a Senate Comittee and then saying that you hadnt actually seen any War Crimes is the type of pro-Veteran deeds that gain so much respect.

A_Wanderer
Kerry fully admits that some of his fellow veterans did horrible things in Vietnam but they did so because they were ordered to. He spoke out against the government that FORCED young soldiers to commit terrble acts.

Last edited:
And we thought the definition of "is" was critical.....

The Vets are claiming they served "with John Kerry"

The DNC counters that they did not serve "on John Kerry's boat"

Unless PBR's conducted only solo missions, it is quite possible for vets to serve "with John Kerry" but not serve "on John Kerry's boat". It is quite possible for vets to serve on boats that saw action with John Kerry's boat.

No one has suggested that the individuals in the commercial, who are also decorated vets, were not in action with John Kerry.

agreed nbc. However, one cannot use the statements of those who oppose Kerry to take away from his record of service. He DID serve in Vietnam, he WAS wounded three times and he WAS a leader during that time.

If the topic of service is going to come up then we have to ask the question....where was Bush?

And I say this knowing full well that I am a big supporter of Bill Clinton and he never served. However he never pretended that he did either.

Last edited:
Not to mention that those that served on John Kerry's boat have a far different recollection of the man. And that his superiors at the time wrote glowing reports.

You can listen to the Swift Boat Veterans For Truth if you want, but you have to do so with a very big grain of salt.

when you're in a room with 9 other people 3 will become friends, 3 will be indifferent to you and 3 of them you'll never get along with

I think this is sort of what is happening to Kerry which is probably his own fault since he is putting his Vietnam experiences in the limelight
so you will get the backlash

I guess when you stay at home at least you won't meet 3 more people who won't like you :hmm:

Yes, just like that.

And if the Kerry situation were reversed I'd still give more credence to the guys that served on the boat with him.

Is it possible, and I am not suggesting that this occurred, that the members of a swift boat never criticize each other in the same way that police officers keep (or are alleged to keep) a "code of silence" with respect to their partners?

or...is it possible that Kerry is actually a good guy that did a good job in Vietnam and did indeed do what he said?

Kerry was in command of two different boats. I suppose he could have made "deals" with both crews at the time, but I don't see why they'd go along.

I think John McCain is COURAGEOUS for speaking out against this most DESPARATE ATTEMPT to defame John Kerry. :wink:

And I'm not speaking as supporting either Bush or Kerry - I'm trying to stay out of most of those threads. But this is NOT about partisan politics - it's about POLITICAL and PERSONAL INTEGRITY!

The fact that one of the MOST RESPECTED Republicans would take such a strong stand against these ads that have not been refuted by the White House is SIGNIFICANT.:yes:

It signals that GROWING numbers of mainstream Republicans are breaking rank with the Bush ADMINISTRATION over its tactics and its policies whether at home or around the world.

And there is NO other Republican that the majority of American people respect more than John McCain - a heroic prisoner of war during the Vietnam War. He showed TREMENDOUS STRENGTH OF COURAGE AND CHARACTER then as he is showing now. :up:

GOD BLESS JOHN McCAIN....:hug:

Jamila said:
I think John McCain is COURAGEOUS for speaking out against this most DESPARATE ATTEMPT to defame John Kerry. :wink:

And I'm not speaking as supporting either Bush or Kerry - I'm trying to stay out of most of those threads. But this is NOT about partisan politics - it's about POLITICAL and PERSONAL INTEGRITY!

The fact that one of the MOST RESPECTED Republicans would take such a strong stand against these ads that have not been refuted by the White House is SIGNIFICANT.:yes:

It signals that GROWING numbers of mainstream Republicans are breaking rank with the Bush ADMINISTRATION over its tactics and its policies whether at home or around the world.

And there is NO other Republican that the majority of American people respect more than John McCain - a heroic prisoner of war during the Vietnam War. He showed TREMENDOUS STRENGTH OF COURAGE AND CHARACTER then as he is showing now. :up:

GOD BLESS JOHN McCAIN....:hug:

I'd just like to inform you that John McCain is going to be a key speaker at the Republican convention starting August 30. He is going to essentially talk about why you should vote for the Bush/Cheney ticket in 2004 and NOT Kerry/Edwards.

Since you hold him in such high regard, please listen to what he has to say on this and remember that he supports Bush for president!

I admire him for speaking out against attack ads. However I do not share his support of Bush and I never will.

Of course McCain supports Bush. He's a Republican. Surprise, surprise. It also doesn't surprise me that he's speaking out about aspects of his campaign that he doesn't like. I respect the guy's honesty even if I can't share his political views.

I couldn't care less....

Kerry had the balls to serve; Bush did not.

But Bush has no problem sending men to die in Iraq for false reasons.

If I was in the military, I'd want Kerry for president.....at least he'd think twice before sending my ass to die for nothing.

....and Kerry also saved a man's life while endangering his own while on that gunboat.

Does he have all the answers? No. But godammit, he's gotta be better than the chicken-hawk.

JOFO said:
I couldn't care less....

Kerry had the balls to serve; Bush did not.

But Bush has no problem sending men to die in Iraq for false reasons.

If I was in the military, I'd want Kerry for president.....at least he'd think twice before sending my ass to die for nothing.

....and Kerry also saved a man's life while endangering his own while on that gunboat.

Does he have all the answers? No. But godammit, he's gotta be better than the chicken-hawk.

Bush did serve in the National Guard and I do not think you should be ripping apart his service or the service of anyone else that served in the National Guard.

Bush was elected the President of the United States. He is the Commander in Chief and in consultation with his advisors to include people like Colin Powell, Don Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney, and Condelezza Rice, made the important decision to remove Saddam because of his failure to verifiably disarm of all WMD per the conditions of the 1991 Gulf War Ceacefire. The President had overwhelming approval from the US congress for his actions as well as the support of John Kerry!

The only thing false about the war in Iraq was Saddam's position that he was in compliance with UN resolutions.

While everyone should salute John Kerry service of 4 MONTHS in Vietnam, eveyone should be mindful of the fact that John Kerry has spent most of his Career in the Senate trying to take money away from the Military. When Kerry first Campaigned for the Senate in 1984, he campaigned against Weapon Systems that are currently vital to the work are military is doing in Iraq and other places in the world. Kerry was against Weapon systems like the M1 Tank, M2 Bradley, Apache Attack Helicopter, as well as the Patriot Missile.

Mr. Kerry has not been a Senator that has had a record of fighting hard to get money for the US military or important weapon systems. He has in fact done much of the opposite.

Mr. Kerry was against the removal of Saddam's military from Kuwait in 1991 through the only way possible, the use of military force. If Mr. Kerry had been president back then, not only would Saddam still be in power, he would still be in control of Kuwait and its energy reserves that are so vital to the global economy.

When it comes to John Kerry's post-Vietnam activities in the 1970s, I'd take George Bush and his controversial Alabama National Guard record any day over John Kerry and his Jane Fonda activities.

Whats really important is what the two men have done in elected office. Bush has supported the military and has had an excellant foreign policy. Kerry has done his best to rob the military of some of its best weapons and capabilities as well as having made poor decisions on foreign policy, such as his unwillingness to remove Saddam from Kuwait in 1991.

Back
Top Bottom