McCain speaks out against attack ads - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2004, 10:18 AM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:44 PM
I think you raise a valid point Sting. We should vote for these guys for our future, not the past. Everything these men have done should count. I honor Senator Kerry's service, but yes, he does have a voting record in the Senate. He cast his votes in the context of the times, such as the naive period of the "peace dividend" mentality, but this doesn't mean all of his votes were necessarily "right". That's in the opinion of the individual voter.

Old 08-17-2004, 04:18 PM   #107
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
And as you said, "Even though Kerry did serve only 4 months compared to the standard 12, he still is a hero for serving his country and going to war." Seems you understand that you can view someone as a hero even if you don't agree with his cause.
It seems we are beating a dead horse here. Anyone who voluntarily signs up for the military to protect our freedoms is a hero.

I will close by saying it is true a vast majority of the 250 swifters weren't on the same boat as him. But they were next to each other and were able to see what the other was doing. These were honorably discharged veterans.

Now it is a he/said she said issue. There is a question of who to believe, Kerry and a few supporters, or 250 swifters who have all signed an affidavit that says what they say is true.

Like I have said many times. This is been made an issue by John Kerry, so it deserves criticism. The issues we as Americans should be looking at are far more important than what John Kerry did in Vietnam.

Out.

Old 08-17-2004, 04:55 PM   #108
Refugee

Local Time: 10:44 AM
I agree, we are beating a dead horse here. There is one clarification I'd like to make, though.

The vast majority of the 250 Swift Boat Veterans For Truth not only weren't on Kerry's boat, they never served with Kerry at all.

From the Swift Vets FAQ:
Quote:
6. How can I join Swift Boat Veterans for Truth?

The organization consists of, and is limited to, former military officers and enlisted men who served in Vietnam on U.S. Navy Swift Boats or in affiliated commands. Veterans can e-mail latch@swiftvets.com for more information on joining or adding their names to the list of signatures to a letter to Senator Kerry demanding full disclosure of his military records.
Contrast this with an earlier answer on the FAQ:
Quote:
Overall, more than 250 Swift boat veterans are on the record questioning Kerry's fitness to serve as Commander-in-Chief. That list includes his entire chain of command -- every single officer Kerry served under in Vietnam. The Kerry game plan is to ignore all this and pretend that the 13 veterans his campaign jets around the country and puts up in 5-star hotels really represent the truth about his short, controversial combat tour.
So, while I agree that it is essentially a "he said, she said" debate, don't let the number 250 sway you in deciding the Swift Vets legitimacy.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:39 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

McCain Lovers Unite

McCain Speaks Again!!

Quote:
Sen. John McCain saying Monday it was fair game to criticize the Democrat's anti-war protests three decades ago
Old 08-30-2004, 02:43 PM   #110
Refugee

And I agree with him. The Swift Boat Vets would have been far more honest if they had made this the thrust of their ads rather than attacking Kerry's military service.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:54 PM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

I have no trouble with anyone's disapproval of Senator Kerry's anti-war protesting. I agree with TG, if the Swift Boat guys had wanted to focus on this, they would have had alot more credibility than what they had criticizing his military service.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:11 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

That makes no sense. The Swift Boat guys served with Kerry in Vietnam, not during Kerry's protests stateside.

You are using credibility as a way to show what you approve of or disapprove of, not what they are qualified to say.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:22 PM   #113
Refugee

Navy records do not back up the Swift Boat Vets claims. Several members have been caught in lies and conflicting statements. If they had problems with Kerry's service they should have reported it at the time. They have no credibility when it comes to Kerry's time in the service.

On the other hand, I can understand that they're upset about Kerry's remarks after the war. I believe that this is their true reason for coming out against Kerry, and they should have pushed this issue instead of smearing his service record.