May this be a lesson... Hatred never pays. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2004, 02:58 PM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:43 PM
Hatred never pays. So right.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:00 PM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 11:43 PM
I've been finding it interesting that the Republicans have been promoting people like Arnold and Rudy who have dissenting opinions from its base. On the opposite spectrum, people as moderate as Joe Lieberman are being ostracized from the new Democratic base. I've been a democrat for years. I will probably never be a republican, but I am really wondering where my party has gone. I have a hard time ever seeing anyone like JFK (Kennedy) ever being nominated these days. I can't imagine him with Sharpton, et al.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:05 PM   #18
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
to say the dems will never resurface is A) stupid, and
Headache, you must be more optimistic. The liberals are killing their own kids at all time record high rates, and many of the other liberals are talking about moving to Canada and Europe. Hillary agrees with Kerry on 99% of the issues, if a male candidate and veteran can't win with those views, there is no way a female candidate can with those views. And now with the Christians mobilized, I'm writing off the DNC for at least a good 10 years.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:05 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:43 PM
I do not want to comment on this in detail, but members of my family have had a longstanding relationship with George Soros. These are intellectuals with PhDs.

What you fail to consider, Headache, that in the 80s, Soros was essentially doing Reagan's work, because he was funding Eastern European intellectuals secretly in the hope that they will one day bring democracy to the Soviet bloc. He was incredibly instrumental in this and the Americans LOVED him for it.

He is a man who has always put his money where his mouth is, and he has done an amazing amount of work to promote democracy all over the world. He's really not this far leftist that your American media has portrayed him as. If anything, he operated on behalf of the right for most of his life.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:09 PM   #20
New Yorker

Boston -- I think the problem is that Gore couldn't pull it off in 2000 by being centrist. And the Democratic base wanted someone more liberal, hence we voted for the "most liberal senator". And I really don't consider Bush a centrist either -- more people voted AGAINST him than any other president and in the past four years, the divide in this country has become even bigger than it was before he took office. Clinton was a centrist. Bush and Kerry were not. Sometimes that's a bad thing, sometimes it's a good thing depending on where the country is going.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:12 PM   #21
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I do not want to comment on this in detail, but members of my family have had a longstanding relationship with George Soros. These are intellectuals with PhDs.

What you fail to consider, Headache, that in the 80s, Soros was essentially doing Reagan's work, because he was funding Eastern European intellectuals secretly in the hope that they will one day bring democracy to the Soviet bloc. He was incredibly instrumental in this and the Americans LOVED him for it.

He is a man who has always put his money where his mouth is, and he has done an amazing amount of work to promote democracy all over the world. He's really not this far leftist that your American media has portrayed him as. If anything, he operated on behalf of the right for most of his life.
Interesting point about democracy. Soros has said that living under the Nazis has made him push for democracy, which is why he supported Kerry. He feels that Bush is not conservative when it comes to economics and his Patriot Act etc. are pushing us towards a more intrusive gov't, which he is fighting against. would highly recommend the recent profile in the New Yorker as a must read about Soros. He's not the boogey man the media portrays him to be.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:10 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Only love will conquer hate...
Old 11-05-2004, 06:33 PM   #23
The Fly

sharky - i agree with you. it seems like these days the dems are looking for an identity in pursuit of victory. in doing so they are moving closer to their base, similar to what the republicans did in the 90s. what would be refreshing is a race where both parties had centrist candidates running at the same time.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:45 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

the republicans have managed to put a fancy facade on the same old shit.
I agree with the above
the GOP convention was pure show

Tom Delay is THE power broker fueled by hate. He makes Lott seem reasonable.

Swift boat vets were PURE hate.

Kerry went up in the polls went he defined himself at the convention
and in the debates.

Karl Rove and company had too much money to distort his image.

Our low class president campaigned on name calling and divisiveness.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:06 PM   #25
The Fly

deep .. you can say what you want about the others but the Swift vets earned their right to say what they want. they started the day after kerry released his book. if kerry has nothing to hide about it why wont he sign the release of his full military records?
Old 11-05-2004, 08:02 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

obfuscate-
all you like

they were/are bald face liars
Old 11-05-2004, 08:06 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:43 AM
So are you saying that each and every one of those SBV were liars?
Old 11-05-2004, 08:12 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I am saying the naked teenager shot in the back wearing a loincloth was completely made up.

These guys hated Kerry because of his testimony and opposition to the VN war.

I can understand that and would not have a complaint with them going after that aspect of Kerry’s past.

The attacks on his service, and distortions and flat out lies pretty many takes any credibility away.

Yes they lied and they know it.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:09 PM   #29
The Fly

kerry lied in his book too .. somewhere in the middle is the truth...
Old 11-05-2004, 10:05 PM   #30
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Boston01
sharky - i agree with you. it seems like these days the dems are looking for an identity in pursuit of victory. in doing so they are moving closer to their base, similar to what the republicans did in the 90s. what would be refreshing is a race where both parties had centrist candidates running at the same time.
We had that in 2000 and it represented only a small sliver of the population. The rest of us kind of threw darts to determine who to vote for. Remember that one debate when Bush and Gore agreed on everything. Bore.

You can't have two centrist candidates or no one has a choice. I think the problem was that by going extreme, Bush was able to rally the extremists. Maybe the answer isn't centrists and trying to get more voters -- maybe what wins is getting your extremists base rally. Too bad -- it cuts out those in the middle who then don't vote.