Map of Religiousity - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2006, 06:05 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:19 PM
Map of Religiousity

versus 2004 election county maps (Red = Republicans, Blue = Democrats)

Interesting the bits where there isn't a correlation.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:39 AM   #2
Refugee

Don't you mean political party strongholds?

Old 04-14-2006, 06:45 AM   #3
Refugee

Have you got one for Oz?
Old 04-14-2006, 06:46 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

No the upper map puts that big blob of belivers in the middle, although the methodology could be a bit dodgy.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:19 AM
That political map is always misleading, mainly because the population density of bluer areas is statistically much higher than the red areas. You could put in 10 South Dakotas in New York City and still not equal NYC's population.

In Michigan, as well, the entire state voted "Yes" on a proposition once, but the tiny little blue area for Detroit voted "No." "No" won.

Melon
Old 04-14-2006, 09:09 AM   #6
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
the methodology could be a bit dodgy.
It was. Several major African-American denominations, such as the African Methodist Episcopal Church, were not included, and independent churches--which describes a lot of Protestant churches--were only counted if their memberships exceeded 300. Particularly in the Deep South, that could make for some very skewed results. Also Muslims, Buddhists and Hindus were way undercounted because mosques and temples don't generally maintain lists of "members," which was what the study asked for. And Jews were way overcounted because they counted all self-identified ethnic Jews, regardless of religiosity, as "religious" for the purposes of this study. Also several other Christian denominations, including some pretty large ones like the Jehovah's Witnesses, refused to participate.

Really, you could make a map based on any of several demographic factors--minority concentrations, economic stratification, degree of urbanization, etc.--that might just as adequately (or inadequately) explain the political correlations.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-14-2006, 09:14 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Seek answers and you will find, this is a better information source than google
Old 04-14-2006, 09:18 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

It was. Several major African-American denominations, such as the African Methodist Episcopal Church, were not included, and independent churches--which describes a lot of Protestant churches--were only counted if their memberships exceeded 300. Particularly in the Deep South, that could make for some very skewed results. Also Muslims, Buddhists and Hindus were way undercounted because mosques and temples don't generally maintain lists of "members," which was what the study asked for. And Jews were way overcounted because they counted all self-identified ethnic Jews, regardless of religiosity, as "religious" for the purposes of this study. Also several other Christian denominations, including some pretty large ones like the Jehovah's Witnesses, refused to participate.

Really, you could make a map based on any of several demographic factors--minority concentrations, economic stratification, degree of urbanization, etc.--that might just as adequately (or inadequately) explain the political correlations.
That makes sense to me, as I was wondering why the area I grew up in (sw ohio) was so low. I mean in some places around just about every third building is a church. But if the independent ones (a lot of them were splinter groups) had to have membership of 300 or more very few of them would be included. Hell, very few of the afiliated Churches in the more rural area's would have those numbers (although apparently they would be counted).
Old 04-14-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:19 PM
Depending on which organization precisely they were affiliated with, they might not have been counted either--not all "Southern Baptist" churches actually belong to THE Southern Baptist Conference, for example, and plenty of smaller "offshoot" conferences were left out. I remember choking on my coffee when I first saw this map a couple years back because I knew no way was Leflore County, MS only 35-50% religious. Not everyone was a regular churchgoer of course, but EVERYBODY made sure to get on the membership roster of some church or another, if only because that was the sole way to avoid the indignity of being laid to rest in the pathetic tiny public cemetery. Which in Delta country is quite literally the last word in utter humiliation.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:19 PM
Whaddya know...some democrats are actually christian!
Old 04-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:19 PM
That's right, this Christian voted Democratic in the last election. I have never voted for a Republican presidential candidate. I may end up voting in our Republican primary this year just to try to keep Roy Moore out of the governor's office. If he gets elected I don't know what I'll do. I'll be tempted to leave the state, even though this is terribly impractical for me. Once again my state will be the laughing stock of the planet. This is getting old. I'm tired of idiots in my state's government. The current governor is actually OK, but Moore is my worst nightmare.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:05 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
you're kidding!

wish i knew some.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:23 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
But why do they hate God?

j/k!!!!
Old 04-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Depending on which organization precisely they were affiliated with, they might not have been counted either--not all "Southern Baptist" churches actually belong to THE Southern Baptist Conference, for example, and plenty of smaller "offshoot" conferences were left out. I remember choking on my coffee when I first saw this map a couple years back because I knew no way was Leflore County, MS only 35-50% religious. Not everyone was a regular churchgoer of course, but EVERYBODY made sure to get on the membership roster of some church or another, if only because that was the sole way to avoid the indignity of being laid to rest in the pathetic tiny public cemetery. Which in Delta country is quite literally the last word in utter humiliation.
I noticed a similar trend in tiny Mendenhall MS. One one stretch of residential country road, we walked passed five different chuch buildings to get to the Mendenhall Ministries building.

It would be interesting to see the list of reasons for all the offshoot churches - probably many tied to small, personal differences in leadership style for these already tiny congregations.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:30 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 03:19 PM
Re: Map of Religiousity

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

Why does that map remind me of Red Alert 2 (the game)?