MANDATORY health insurance, part 2 - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #121
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
is there anything i can do?

seriously, anyone. any ideas? i'm kind of aghast.
Kind of aghast? I think my eyes came closer to popping out of their sockets than they have in a long time when I read about your premium increases.

I really think the only thing that will have any effect long term is to tell as many people as you can about it. That goes for all of us -- the more people that tell their insurance/health care access woes the less the people and companies against health care reform will be believed when they say "our current system is just fine." If you know 30 people who have such issues you are going to be a whole lot less likely to believe the insurance lobby's bullshit than if you know only one or two people with problems getting/paying for insurance/health care.

It doesn't help you (or me) right now, but it might spur a desperately needed overhaul of the whole system before you go completely broke (I'm already there ).

Old 10-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #122
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
i know this sounds kind of wussy, but can you complain to hr? that's a ridiculous price increase.

i'm a freelancer/permalancer, so i have to buy my own insurance directly from BCBS.

there is no HR to speak of.

where's Canada?

Old 10-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
my premium just went up another $50 a month. it's increased by $100 per month since 2007.

That's rough. Is it because of the accident at the swimming pool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
And the reason she supported it according to Rush, "because she's a woman".

But all you Rush worshipers don't worry Rush is not sexist, nor is he a racist, or an arrogant asshole.
This guy is willing to say anything.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:44 PM   #124
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
That's rough. Is it because of the accident at the swimming pool?

it has to be. i spend thousands out of pocket now covering my various injury-related expenses. like $230 on an inhaler.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:19 AM   #125
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:05 AM
Quote:
i'm a freelancer/permalancer, so i have to buy my own insurance directly from BCBS.

there is no HR to speak of.

I am self employed and started buying insurance from Blue Cross just this last year. My premium started at $460 a month and within 6 months was bumped to $540 a month.
My policy has a $2400 a year deductible which I had paid out in about 5 months.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:04 AM   #126
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Ha. Show me.
Here you go:

Women! Collins Likely to Join Snowe in Support of Obamacare

You've probably become a little desensitized to this and his racist remarks.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #127
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Here you go:

Women! Collins Likely to Join Snowe in Support of Obamacare

You've probably become a little desensitized to this and his racist remarks.
I read that on his website yesterday, but wasn't sure that was what you're referring to. I still don't see him saying that they voted for it "because they're women"

And no, I recognize real racism (and hypocrisy- see my Olbermann clip) when I see it, and I don't see it listening to Rush. I know people love to paint Rush a racist, as evidenced by the past week or so of people in the "news" saying Rush has made certain statements that he simply has never made.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #128
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm sorry if you don't see it...

He knew what he was saying, that's why he made the delay joke. It was pretty obvious.

And like I've said before and you haven't even tried defending it, "Magic Negro" one of his most obvious racist on-air moves... yet the right just sweep it under the rug.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:09 AM   #129
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I am self employed and started buying insurance from Blue Cross just this last year. My premium started at $460 a month and within 6 months was bumped to $540 a month.
My policy has a $2400 a year deductible which I had paid out in about 5 months.

wow.

what do other people pay?
Old 10-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #130
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

And like I've said before and you haven't even tried defending it, "Magic Negro" one of his most obvious racist on-air moves... yet the right just sweep it under the rug.
Tell me what was racist about that. You're ignoring a number of things. First, the song was much more of a knock at Sharpton than it was at Obama. Also, you're aware Rush wasn't the one who first called Obama a "magic negro," right? It was a columnist in LA. Is he a racist? Also, tell me you're aware that neither Rush nor the columnist created the phrase "magic negro," and that you know the phrase is a widely used element of film and literature.

But go on confusing being provocative with hating black people.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #131
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Tell me what was racist about that. You're ignoring a number of things. First, the song was much more of a knock at Sharpton than it was at Obama. Also, you're aware Rush wasn't the one who first called Obama a "magic negro," right? It was a columnist in LA. Is he a racist? Also, tell me you're aware that neither Rush nor the columnist created the phrase "magic negro," and that you know the phrase is a widely used element of film and literature.

But go on confusing being provocative with hating black people.
A little insight:

Magical negro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The word negro, now considered by many as archaic and offensive, is used intentionally to suggest that the archetype is a racist throwback, an update of the "Sambo" and "savage other" stereotype.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I read that on his website yesterday, but wasn't sure that was what you're referring to. I still don't see him saying that they voted for it "because they're women"

And no, I recognize real racism (and hypocrisy- see my Olbermann clip) when I see it, and I don't see it listening to Rush. I know people love to paint Rush a racist, as evidenced by the past week or so of people in the "news" saying Rush has made certain statements that he simply has never made.
Seriously? The title of the article is Women!

How can you not see that he's implying that it's their "female-ness" that's causing them to vote this way. I don't know how he could be any clearer!

You need to cut this guy loose, 2861. . .you're better than this, you're smarter than this, you don't need him cluttering your worldview.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #133
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

How can you not see that he's implying that it's their "female-ness" that's causing them to vote this way. I don't know how he could be any clearer!
Maybe he meant it in a "women are inherently smarter than men, so of course they voted for this" kind of way.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #134
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You need to cut this guy loose, 2861. . .you're better than this, you're smarter than this, you don't need him cluttering your worldview.
Yeah I honestly don't see how anyone can spin this any other way...

I've just given up.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:28 AM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Even my father, who is a Rush fan, admits he is sexist. "Reporterette, anchorette, authorette"--he makes it clear he is using it as a diminutive. He is consistent in that, I'll give him that. He obviously does not think women stack up to men in almost any regard, particularly intellectually. I don't get angry. He's far too tedious about it. I notice it though.