Justin and Janet's Boob = Racism - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2004, 12:29 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:07 PM
Justin and Janet's Boob = Racism

[Q]Timberlake Under a White-Hot Spotlight
Singer ripped for abandoning Janet and urban fans

By Rafer Guzmán
STAFF WRITER

February 11, 2004

It started as a controversy over exposed skin. Now the focus is on skin color.

When Justin Timberlake ripped away Janet Jackson's bra cup to reveal her right breast during CBS' broadcast of last week's Super Bowl halftime show, they sparked a public- relations disaster that drew the ire of CBS, the NFL and even the FCC. In the days following, both singers issued public apologies - but with very different results.

While Jackson shouldered most of the responsibility for the incident, Timberlake distanced himself from it, painting himself as a victim. Now Timberlake is under fire from urban radio stations that feel he betrayed not only Jackson but, in a sense, the entire urban-music community he's worked so hard to emulate.

"It doesn't take a genius to notice that he pays homage to a lot of African-American singing greats," says Miss Info, a morning-show host on the hip-hop station "Hot 97" (WQHT/97.1 FM). Many callers "feel like he's been accepted by a multicultural audience, and they want him to stand by his multicultural musical coworkers."

Initially, Jackson and Timberlake benefited from the Super Bowl stunt, which became a popular topic in newscasts, late- night monologues and watercooler conversation. Jackson's new single "Just a Little While" was released to radio stations the day after the Super Bowl and became a hotly requested song. "That was fun," Timberlake said in a television interview immediately after the performance. "We love giving you something to talk about."

But as criticism grew and the FCC announced it would launch an investigation, Timberlake changed his tune, blaming the incident on a "wardrobe malfunction" and apologizing for any offense. Jackson went even further, claiming responsibility for the maneuver.

What has angered many black music fans is that Timberlake then seemed to turn his back on Jackson. In an interview with a CBS television station in Los Angeles, Timberlake claimed he was "completely shocked and appalled" by her partial nudity. He also described himself as a successful artist who's above such stunts. "I've had a good year," he said. "I don't feel I need publicity like this."

Those statements raised issues of Timberlake's loyalty to Jackson and to black music as a whole. A former crooner in a boy band, Timberlake has essentially used R&B music to gain credibility as a solo artist, says Erik Parker, music editor at the urban-music magazine Vibe. From his Michael Jackson-esque vocals to the records he's made with musicians such as Nelly, Brian McKnight and the Neptunes, Timberlake has ingratiated himself with an audience that often regards blue-eyed soul with suspicion.

"When that audience feels betrayed or exploited, there's going to be some type of repercussions," Parker says. Consciously or not, Timberlake is "abusing his white privilege."

At urban radio stations, callers have been irate. "They're mad at Justin," says Wendy Williams, a nationally syndicated radio host based in New York, whose show airs on WBLS/107.5 FM. "They'll support Janet, but they'll look at Justin and say, 'Your ghetto pass has been revoked. You're no longer an honorary brother.'"

It didn't help that Jackson's planned performance on CBS' Grammy awards broadcast Sunday night was canceled, while Timberlake's went forward. (He also collected two Grammys.) In fact, CBS asked both artists to apologize at the ceremony before they would be allowed to perform, and Timberlake did so. Jackson declined to attend. Still, the perception has been one of unequal treatment.

"I did a poll about whether if Janet was to be barred, should Justin be barred also, and the resounding answer was yes," says Ed Lover, a morning show host on "Power 105" (WWPR/105.1 FM). "My audience thinks there's some racism involved there."

Timberlake triumphed at the Grammy ceremony during his duet with trumpeter Arturo Sandoval, pushing aside the controversy and forging ahead with his song "Seńorita." The number proved that he was adept at not only R&B but Latin-inflected jazz.

"Our audiences are very savvy and critical, but they're also forgiving," Miss Info says. "If he can stand the heat, he'll be able to come back into the kitchen." [/Q]

Old 02-11-2004, 12:42 AM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:07 AM
So now covering your ass is racism?

I think Justin took the pansy way out by not admitting he knew what he was doing, but by no means is it racism.

Old 02-11-2004, 02:44 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

^ ditto, and now I have reason 45897196731948756743815761 to add to my list of why Justin sucks

has MTV been sued yet?...
Old 02-11-2004, 08:37 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:07 AM
Playing the race card has become a source of power for some. Unfortunately, it does little to bring an end to racism in this country.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:38 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:07 PM
Oh, this is crazy. I don't think racism is involved. They are making way too much out of this incident.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:50 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
has MTV been sued yet?...
Not yet but people are calling for a boycott of MTV and their sponsors at www.boycottmtv.net. Such a load of crap this is I can't believe nipplegate causes more of a stirr than Bush's Newsweek interview.

Quote:
For years MTV has been sexually exploiting our children. The Super Bowl show, which contained Janet Jackson grabbing her breasts, Nelly repeatedly fondling his crotch, striptease cheerleaders, gyrating transvestites, simulated lesbian sex, a "performer" who wore the American Flag as a poncho, and Jackson and Justin Timberlake groping each other in addition to Jackson's exposed breast, was mild compared to other MTV programs.
get a life
Old 02-11-2004, 10:57 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

You got it! JARWC! (Just another right wing conspiracy)

GWB operatives rigged this as a major distraction to all the things people hate about Bush!
Old 02-11-2004, 11:00 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I hope you're not putting those words in my mouth nbc, because that would make neither of us look good.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:02 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Sorry, I should have included a "not serious" smilie or other such disclaimer. I posted for entertainment sake only.....
Old 02-11-2004, 11:04 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

alrighty then
Old 02-11-2004, 06:40 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Oh, this is crazy. I don't think racism is involved. They are making way too much out of this incident.
U think?
Old 02-11-2004, 06:43 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

U think?
Yes, they really are making a mountain out of a molehill. I mean, yeah, the incident was in terrible taste and showed a lack of originality, but now they are saying the controversy is racist? Gimme a break.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:46 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Justin is just a lame asshole who can't sing. As somebody once said, he is the musical equivalent of tofu - has no flavour, but you can make him taste like anything you want.

No racism here, just a sad attempt to direct all blame away from himself.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:32 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
So now covering your ass is racism?

I think Justin took the pansy way out by not admitting he knew what he was doing, but by no means is it racism.
Agreed.

And I agree with verte-this whole thing has gotten blown WAY out of proportion. Who knew that a two second flash of a breast would cause this much controversy?

Seriously, I just want this whole thing to be over and done with. We have way more important things in this country worth being riled up over.

Angela
Old 02-12-2004, 12:16 AM   #15
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Justin is just a lame asshole who can't sing. As somebody once said, he is the musical equivalent of tofu - has no flavour, but you can make him taste like anything you want.

No racism here, just a sad attempt to direct all blame away from himself.
Absolutely. To me, it was fairly obvious that he enjoyed all the attention. After his past incidents involving Kylie et al, I can't take his apologies seriously.