Just when I thought politics in Australia couldn't get any worse... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2006, 02:47 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 08:22 AM
Just when I thought politics in Australia couldn't get any worse...

Hanson plans return to politics. theage.com.au

Pauline Hanson has ruffled a few feathers with the announcement yesterday she was planning a return to federal politics and would campaign about industrial relations laws and the ease with which Muslims and "diseased" Africans were entering Australia.

"I've been on about water for many, many years - but also immigration," she said.

"Why shouldn't Australians know that the people we bring in to this country are there for the right reasons, and we bring them in for the right reasons?

"Why do we have to bring people in who are of no benefit to this country whatsoever, who are going to take away our way of life, change our laws?

"And I'm asking these questions. And it's about time someone dam well did, because the federal government is not addressing the concerns of the Australian people."

'They've got AIDS'

Ms Hanson also said she was concerned by the ease with which people were able to gain Australian citizenship, especially Muslims and Africans.

"We're bringing in people from South Africa at the moment, there's a huge amount coming into Australia, who have diseases, they've got AIDS," Ms Hanson told AAP.

"They are of no benefit to this country whatsoever, they'll never be able to work.

"And what my main concern is, is the diseases that they're bringing in and yet no one is saying or doing anything about it."

A Department of Immigration spokeswoman rejected the claims, saying stringent health checks were carried out on all permanent and temporary residents.

Refugee groups were angered by Ms Hanson's comments, calling them "fanciful", damaging and hurtful to Africans who were simply trying for a life in Australia.

But Ms Hanson said politicians had gone too far in affording rights to minority groups and she was angered at the loss of Australian traditions because of Muslims.

"Our governments have bent over backwards to look after them (Muslims) and their needs, and regardless of what the Australian people think," she said.

"You can't have schools not sing Christmas carols because it upsets others, you can't close swimming baths because Muslim women want to swim in private, that's not Australian."

Old 12-07-2006, 03:07 AM   #2
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:22 PM
What a country of choice, we are. Rudd, Dickface, Hanson...Do we get spoiled or what, guys?? Well???

Someone needs to teach Pauline how to speak. You know, in an Australian way.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:21 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:22 PM
Ah racist economic protectionists, all types of wrong.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:54 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

*sticks fingers in her ears and hums very loudly*
Maybe if I ignore her, she'll go away.... I bet she couldn't even make a decent batch of fish & chips.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:01 AM   #5
Vocal parasite

I love how Pauline Hanson goes on about these people from Africa being of no benefit to the country when she ignores the blindingly obvious: if anyone is of no benefit to this country, it is HER. Can we classify racism as a disease and kick Pauline out of the country and send her to, oh I don't know, a deserted island off the coast of Antarctica?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-07-2006, 04:10 AM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 06:52 PM
I'm all for not letting people into this country who are of no benefit to the economy whatsoever. If they come here, they have to work and cannot live off the government. And if they have AIDS they shouldn't be let in full stop. Surely we all agree on that? I'm all for immigration and multiculturalism but there must be limits and we can't let the floodgates open. Some of her policies make complete sense although it sucks that she's obviously a closet racist otherwise I'd vote for her.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:27 AM   #7
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by AussieU2fanman
I'm all for not letting people into this country who are of no benefit to the economy whatsoever. If they come here, they have to work and cannot live off the government. And if they have AIDS they shouldn't be let in full stop. Surely we all agree on that?
I don't agree with that. What if there are other circumstances, e.g. someone is moving with family members? Or shall we just say "OK, great, you and your wife and your son can come and work here, but you have to leave your AIDS-infected daughter to fend for herself in Botswana"?

And why is their admittance ultimately based upon their economic benefit? There are many other benefits that people can offer, and I don't see why economic benefits trump those. They should be considered, of course, but even if someone does not offer this country an economic benefit, there may be an array of other benefits they can offer and those should be given equal consideration.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-07-2006, 04:46 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Open immigration is great, it's just a problem when there is a system of government support for immigrants and their families.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:25 AM   #9
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Not letting people with AIDS into Australia is pathetic. What are they going to do, cut themselves and bleed on everybody? I mean maybe if it was contagious like SARS, but AIDS is not easily caught so its a MOOT argument even.

and I FUCKING hate when they say its 'not australian' well im a fucking australian, and i think what Pauline Hanson is saying is bunch of bullshit and she needs to shut her big fucking mouth and stop making assumptions about other australians. Perhaps shes been hanging round the RSL halls for too long.

I just hate that some people think Australia stands for -biogeted racist christian white missionary lights out people, when CLEARLY this is not a country like that..

*shudder*
Old 12-07-2006, 06:33 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

There is no need for you, Pauline. Go back to Dancing With TEH STARS. You are not needed, as John Howard has taken your constituency.

Dazzlingamy, Australia stands for whatever John Howard says it stands for. I'm sorry you didn't get the memo.

John Howard stands for the best of both worlds, and the best thing is none of it adds up or coheres in any fashion:

He is WITH the white supremacists (in this case, let's apply a modernised version of white, where Chinese, Vietnamese etc, are to some extent admitted to the club, but Middle Eastern and African are out of the club).

He stands up for social conservatism, both the overtly valuable and decent parts, and the ugly and destructive parts. In a lip-service kind of way, which is all that is needed.

At the same time he stands up for all that let-the-market-rip luvviness that is surely the one thing guaranteed to destroy 'family values' in this country, as in any other.

Again, Pauline, you are not necessary. John took the ball and ran with it.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:31 AM   #11
Refugee

If not letting somebody into the country who has AIDS prevents him/her from spreading the disease to just ONE other person through intercourse, well then I'd say we've done a good thing. It's far too risky to say 'Ok just don't have sex with anyone.'

From a 'hippy/love everybody don't care about reality' standpoint, sure we can just let everybody in who doesn't contribute to (EDIT) economic growth. But in reality, if they do not contribute more than they expend in the form of welfare etc.etc. then they shouldn't be let in as they'll only slow Australia down. I'd love to hear what anybody here would do if you were in a position of power and you had to make these decisions. I get the impression everybody is just trying to prove they are 'soooo not racist' by being overly generous and unrealistic/unpragmatic in their views on immigration.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:39 AM   #12
Vocal parasite

So, basically, the value of someone is ultimately determined by their contribution to GDP, this entirely trumps whatever else they may have to offer, and any dissenting opinion is from a "hippie/love everybody don't care about reality" standpoint?

Wow. I didn't think anyone was quite that cold.

And in any case, the indicative use of GDP isn't perfect. If you must reduce people to whether they generate an economic profit or not, at least don't just rely on one marker.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-07-2006, 07:48 AM   #13
Refugee

Economic growth is an all encompassing measure which includes quantitative (GDP) and qualitative measures such as quality of life etc. to determine growth of the economy. If a migrant comes in and cannot work or cannot find any way to increase economic growth, they shouldn't be let in, it is regression.
Economic growth is not simply a financial measure, it's very complex. Anyway, say if you were in a position of power (which is a role you MUST assume in order to rebuke the actions of people that ARE in a postion of power), what would you do and justify it. I am by no means a cold person, I'm trying to be a realist.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:59 AM   #14
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
AIDS is not a health risk, if you practice safe sex (and i believe anyone who doesn't carries the burden of whatever happens to them, unless in extreme circumstances like rape etc) so only if you decide to share a needle, or practice unsafe sex are you going to possible get AIDS from them. There is no other way someone with AIDS can infect someone so to not let in someone with AIDS is stupid and not even a vaild point.

Secondly, while i dont think immigrants should be able to recieve financial benefits for the rest of their lives purely for being refugees/immigrants, i do believe they should have the same access to everything and support and money to help set up a home for themselves here. We're not talking about millions of dollars per family, just enough to help them get on their feet to be ABLE to contribute to society. I don't think putting every single person to work will help anyway (and what about stay at home mums, people with severe trama etc)
Yes taxes are shit, but we are all in this world together, and you gotta do what you gotta do. And i'd rather my taxes go towards a Sudanese family who no longer have to live through war/torture and fear every moment of their lives, then to some stupid fcking commonwelath games or other commercial bullshit.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AussieU2fanman
If not letting somebody into the country who has AIDS prevents him/her from spreading the disease to just ONE other person through intercourse, well then I'd say we've done a good thing. It's far too risky to say 'Ok just don't have sex with anyone.'

From a 'hippy/love everybody don't care about reality' standpoint, sure we can just let everybody in who doesn't contribute to (EDIT) economic growth. But in reality, if they do not contribute more than they expend in the form of welfare etc.etc. then they shouldn't be let in as they'll only slow Australia down. I'd love to hear what anybody here would do if you were in a position of power and you had to make these decisions. I get the impression everybody is just trying to prove they are 'soooo not racist' by being overly generous and unrealistic/unpragmatic in their views on immigration.
Maybe Hanson does have a constituency out there..

Hmmm