Just when I thought politics in Australia couldn't get any worse...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AussieU2fanman said:
Also you'll find that Christianity is quite prevalent in Africa, and Christians strongly dissapprove of the condom which means if for example, we consider taking in a migrant from Africa who has AIDS there's a good chance his faith will prohibit him in practicing safe sex here and the disease will spread. Christianity kills (another issue altogether though)

You know so little about Christianity and Africa it's not even funny.:|

But do you understand that people with AIDS DON'T spread the disease accidently.

Ok for example, if a man or women has AIDS and has unprotected sex with people without telling them they have AIDS then yes, they should be charged (is there even a law about this yet) and go to gaol.

BUT for the most part (say 99%) of AIDS victims, they are just like you and me, and therefore should not require any special treatment, or be denied anything (apart from the usual cautionary things)

i just don't see any sense in denying someone the right to be safe in a 1st world country, with our medicial facilities and medicines available, purely because they have a disease. Its not a big scary monster anymore, people live 15/20 years with AIDS now, and we are so much more prepared in this country. I just think its like saying to war victims missing legs or arms or eyes 'sorry we don't want you as you cannot work and will be a drain on our system' The world has a responsability to help our fellow man, regardless of who he is why he looks like and what non catchable diseases they have.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You know so little about Christianity and Africa it's not even funny.:|

"Promoting condom use, however, has often proved controversial and difficult. Many religious groups, most noticeably the Catholic Church, have opposed the use of condoms on religious grounds, and have sometimes seen condom promotion as an affront to the promotion of marriage, monogamy and sexual morality. This attitude is found among some health care providers and policy makers in sub-Saharan African nations, where HIV and AIDS prevalence is extremely high.[57] They also believe that the distribution and promotion of condoms is tantamount to promoting sex amongst the youth and sending the wrong message to uninfected individuals."

link

I interchanged christianity in general and catholicism, innocent mistake. It's not even the core of my argument, it was a very small example I used. Don't wait for opportunites like this where I make the slightest slip up to pounce.

AussieU2fanman said:

"Promoting condom use, however, has often proved controversial and difficult. Many religious groups, most noticeably the Catholic Church, have opposed the use of condoms on religious grounds, and have sometimes seen condom promotion as an affront to the promotion of marriage, monogamy and sexual morality."

link

I interchanged christianity in general and catholicism, innocent mistake. It's not even the core of my argument, it was a very small example I used. Don't wait for opportunites like this where I make the slightest slip up to pounce.

It's not an innocent mistake, it's a naive mistake at best. And who's using anything to pounce? You used this misinformation to attack. So maybe you should look in the mirror before telling others not to pounce.

Halifax said:
Hanson plans return to politics. theage.com.au

Pauline Hanson has ruffled a few feathers with the announcement yesterday she was planning a return to federal politics and would campaign about industrial relations laws and the ease with which Muslims and "diseased" Africans were entering Australia.

"I've been on about water for many, many years - but also immigration," she said.

"Why shouldn't Australians know that the people we bring in to this country are there for the right reasons, and we bring them in for the right reasons?

"Why do we have to bring people in who are of no benefit to this country whatsoever, who are going to take away our way of life, change our laws?

"And I'm asking these questions. And it's about time someone dam well did, because the federal government is not addressing the concerns of the Australian people."

'They've got AIDS'

Ms Hanson also said she was concerned by the ease with which people were able to gain Australian citizenship, especially Muslims and Africans.

"We're bringing in people from South Africa at the moment, there's a huge amount coming into Australia, who have diseases, they've got AIDS," Ms Hanson told AAP.

"They are of no benefit to this country whatsoever, they'll never be able to work.

"And what my main concern is, is the diseases that they're bringing in and yet no one is saying or doing anything about it."

A Department of Immigration spokeswoman rejected the claims, saying stringent health checks were carried out on all permanent and temporary residents.

Refugee groups were angered by Ms Hanson's comments, calling them "fanciful", damaging and hurtful to Africans who were simply trying for a life in Australia.

But Ms Hanson said politicians had gone too far in affording rights to minority groups and she was angered at the loss of Australian traditions because of Muslims.

"Our governments have bent over backwards to look after them (Muslims) and their needs, and regardless of what the Australian people think," she said.

"You can't have schools not sing Christmas carols because it upsets others, you can't close swimming baths because Muslim women want to swim in private, that's not Australian."

The Media was her best friend when she became well known.

Please don't let it happen again Australia

Just as a sidebar, the Bush Admin won't allow the promotion of using condoms during sex, so using your logic you shouldn't allow any Americans in as well. I believe all the Christian faiths promote abstinence?

MissMoo said:
Just as a sidebar, the Bush Admin won't allow the promotion of using condoms during sex, so using your logic you shouldn't allow any Americans in as well. I believe all the Christian faiths promote abstinence?

:lmao: :lmao:
-an american

She's failed at everything she's touched. I'm just surprised there's no-one around her pulling her aside this time and saying "Umm, I wouldn't bother".

The media give her all her power though - particularly talkback radio.

AussieU2fanman said:
I don't approve of just casting aspersions on decisions made by people in positions of power. It makes no sense to me to simply show no empathy and rule out understanding their perspective and not come up with any alternatives of your own if you were them.

Needless to say, I disagree. That is how they want you to think, my friend.

I have a different standard. Now, 'aspersions' are one thing, let's stick with 'legitimate criticism' for starters. I have a different standard because the powerful, have, well, POWER. Over you. Over me. That alone holds them to a different standard because they have resources that you and I do not. Their mistakes, disinterest or malice can destroy us... at worst we the citizen Joe or Jane might hurt their feelings.

Tough shit.

Kieran McConville said:

Needless to say, I disagree. That is how they want you to think, my friend.

I have a different standard. Now, 'aspersions' are one thing, let's stick with 'legitimate criticism' for starters. I have a different standard because the powerful, have, well, POWER. Over you. Over me. That alone holds them to a different standard because they have resources that you and I do not. Their mistakes, disinterest or malice can destroy us... at worst we the citizen Joe or Jane might hurt their feelings.

Tough shit.

I agree.

The power of 'discretion' needs an alert audience.

Back
Top Bottom