Jill Carroll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carrieluvv

Refugee
I have no link I want to post.

I just HOPE that she returns home ,,,,and soon.

its obvious shes a very courageous and altruistic woman

I admire her greatly and dread the thought of her being killed

I agree carrieluvv, nicely said

I was just reading an article on cnn.com

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraqi officials believe kidnapped American journalist Jill Carroll is alive and they are working toward her release, the U.S. ambassador to Iraq said Monday.

In a broadcast interview, Zalmay Khalilzad said, "Yes, I did talk to the minister of interior late last night, and he said that based on the information that he has, that she is alive and that they have information with regard to where she might be held.

"We are doing all that we can to help bring about a release and will persist with that. But the minister announced today that he's optimistic about her release."

Iraqi Interior Minister Bayan Jabr made similar statements in a broadcast interview Monday on ABC.

The latest in a series of apparent deadlines set by kidnappers holding Carroll passed Sunday with no word on her fate.

i hope its not false hope too.....

there is something in the pictures ya see of her and the video that moves me.

its like a sister tryin to make a difference amid chaos
a very patient sister

I pray for her release

Iraqi Official Says U.S. Reporter Is Alive

The Iraqi Interior Minister believes that kidnapped American journalist Jill Carroll remains alive, his office said on Monday, one day after the deadline set by her captors for killing her.

In an interview with ABC, the interior minister, Bayan Jabr said he knew who abducted the 28-year-old freelance reporter for The Christian Science Monitor on Jan. 7.

I believe that it was a set up to protest against Bush and the war on Iraq. That she could have been behind the whole thing. Why wasn't she killed? Why was she held for so long?

Things don't add up to me. I guess I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist in a way. I'm wavering whether it was a set up or it was the way it was.

Anyways, I'm glad that she's safe.

U2Girl1978 said:
I believe that it was a set up to protest against Bush and the war on Iraq. That she could have been behind the whole thing. Why wasn't she killed? Why was she held for so long?

Things don't add up to me. I guess I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist in a way. I'm wavering whether it was a set up or it was the way it was.

Anyways, I'm glad that she's safe.

Actually you're not the first person I've heard say this.

I notice she had nothing to say about the man who was killed when she was abducted or his family. I believe this man was her translator/driver and had been working with her for a while. Certainly, the people who abducted her are far from nice and people just interested in defending their country from the United States. What is the point of killing and Iraqi translator/driver who was only helping a journalist?

Perhaps she will be able to say more when she is safe on US soil. She may have been threatened to say only certain things.

She may also be aware of others who are captive who have been threatened if she talks. That's nothing but speculation.

U2Girl1978 said:
Things don't add up to me.
I think the fact that her translator was killed makes it most unlikely that she ever had any kind of collusionary control over the situation, unless you mean to suggest that she was so unethical as to have no concern for what the consequences of collusion might be for him. And there's nothing especially unique about either the length of her captivity or the fact that the initially stated deadline came and went--both have happened before. (Remember Kenneth Bigley?) More than 425 foreigners have been taken hostage since the invasion, and 80 are still missing (while at least 50 are known to have been killed).

It wouldn't be particularly surprising or significant one way or the other if Carroll had been personally against the war all along--journalists have their own private views on the topics they cover just like anyone else. However, that's very different from being a collaborator.

An update from Reuters, including a comment from Carroll about her translator:
Freed US reporter says forced into anti-US video

1 Apr, 2006
By Jason Szep

Describing her captivity in Iraq as horrific, freed American hostage Jill Carroll disavowed on Saturday critical statements she made about the United States, saying she had been forced to make a propaganda video.

In the video made before her release and posted on a jihadist Web site that also showed beheadings and attacks on American forces, Carroll denounced the U.S. presence in Iraq and praised the militants fighting American forces there. "Things that I was forced to say while captive are now being taken by some as an accurate reflection of my personal views. They are not," she said in a statement read in Boston by Richard Bergenheim, editor of The Christian Science Monitor, the Boston-based employer of the 28-year-old journalist.

Carroll, who was abducted in Baghdad on Jan. 7 and released 82 days later on Thursday, said in her first public statement since leaving Iraq that her captors forced her to make the video during her last night of captivity. "They told me they would let me go if I cooperated. I was living in a threatening environment, under their control, and wanted to go home alive. I agreed," she said in the statement made while she is in Germany.

In her statement on Saturday, she said she been threatened repeatedly and also recanted statements she made in an interview given to the Iraqi Islamic Party shortly after her release. "The party had promised me the interview would never be aired on television, and broke their word. At any rate, fearing retribution from my captors, I did not speak freely. Out of fear I said I wasn't threatened," she said. "In fact, I was threatened many times. The people who kidnapped me and murdered Alan Enwiya are criminals, at best. They robbed Alan of his life and devastated his family. They put me, my family and my friends - and all those around the world, who have prayed so fervently for my release - through a horrific experience. I was, and remain, deeply angry with the people who did this."

She said at least two false statements about her had been widely aired: that she refused to travel and cooperate with the U.S. military and that she refused to discuss her captivity with U.S. officials. "Again, neither is true," she said. "I want to be judged as a journalist, not as a hostage. Let me be clear: I abhor all who kidnap and murder civilians, and my captors are clearly guilty of both crimes."

In the statement, Carroll described her captivity as "horrific" for her and her family, and thanked her supporters around the world for rallying on her behalf after she was kidnapped by the militants who also killed her Iraqi interpreter. "Now, I ask for the time to heal," she said. "This has been a taxing 12 weeks for me and my family. Please allow us some quiet time alone, together."

Last edited:
Nobody else is going to say it?
That conspiracy talk is complete and total bullshit.
Yes, she had her translator killed to "protest" Bush....
Completely fucking retarded.

Why wasn't she killed?
Because she was worth more alive.
Either someone paid for her release or if they didn't, they just let her go for the propaganda angle. "Get her to make a statement against Bush!!!"
She's also a woman, who are still held in high regard in the Arab world, aside from Saudi.
She was held for period of time, compartively short with others, if you want to call it a logn time, fine it was because they were waiting to get cash and or release of the female prisoners.

This is not rocket science. On the morning after she was released they leaked out that she was forced into making that tape, then the reactionary tribe of fools who didn't hear this, assume the worst and jumped all over her, assuming she was just another "liberal sympathizer" and thus you see this fucking lame brained conspiracy talk.

Give Ms. Carroll a God damned break.

Sorry if that's harsh, had to say it.

Maoilbheannacht said:
I notice she had nothing to say about the man who was killed when she was abducted or his family. I believe this man was her translator/driver and had been working with her for a while. Certainly, the people who abducted her are far from nice and people just interested in defending their country from the United States. What is the point of killing and Iraqi translator/driver who was only helping a journalist?

Perhaps she will be able to say more when she is safe on US soil. She may have been threatened to say only certain things.

Her father, who obviously has spoken with her, made statements to the press right after she was released that she was deeply hurt when they killed her "friend". Of course that doesn't make the splash to the wingnuts. He also pointed out long befoer the CSM read Jill's statement, that the video was propaganda, she was trying to get her ass freed.

What is the point of only killing him? 1-he's more of a threat
2-it is already a proven fact that male hostages are worthless in terms of a bounty 3-they were trying to exchange females 4-who is to say he didn't try and fight back?

Good God people

There's no need to get into direct or indirect personal attacks here, U2DMFan. Everyone has a right to their own personal take on this story, and doubts about precisely what went on behind the scenes are par for the course with any hostage situation. U2Girl1978 made it clear that she was glad for Carroll's safety regardless, and I think you may have misconstrued Maoilbheannacht's comments altogether.

In any case, I'd appreciate it if we could keep the tone of discussion between posters respectful here, regardless of what ideas are being offered.

yolland said:
There's no need to get into direct or indirect personal attacks here, U2DMFan. Everyone has a right to their own personal take on this story, and doubts about precisely what went on behind the scenes are par for the course with any hostage situation. U2Girl1978 made it clear that she was glad for Carroll's safety regardless, and I think you may have misconstrued Maoilbheannacht's comments altogether.

In any case, I'd appreciate it if we could keep the tone of discussion between posters respectful here, regardless of what ideas are being offered.

There is no personal attack involved, I've never taken this forum seriously enough to personally attack people. In fact, I said I was sorry it that seemed harsh, so I note the fact that I was harsh and could have been more "nice". I probably didn't show proper respect in being dismissive, but that's what having differing opinions is all about.

So to anyone invloved, there is no malicoius intent to attack you personally, I'd like to think I'd never stoop that low, but I still stand by my opinions.

My personal take on this story, for which I have a right as you said, is not neccessarily "nice".

I didn't mention anyone by name, I am talking about the groups that perpetuate these conspiracies. I don't hold the average person with an opinion on the matter accountable as I do with irresponsible journalists, bloggers and TV talking heads and pundits. That's why I said "wingnuts" and "reactionary tribe of fools" ...'reactionary' being the key word, which is the far right wing. I don't think anyone on this thread falls into those groups, I am more or less trying to say "don't perpetuate this garbage".
Again, it's not personal and I hope nobody takes it that way.
I'll try and use better language in the future.

Maybe I did misconstrue Maoilbheannacht's comments. In the context of this thread, I read them as questioning her sympathies but I could be mistaken.

Let's just say something struck a nerve and I could have reacted with more tact. But I don't want to be over-apologetic for speaking my mind. If we were sitting in bar drinking loads of beers and got into a heated argument, I wouldn't take that personally either.

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:
Nobody else is going to say it?
That conspiracy talk is complete and total bullshit.
Yes, she had her translator killed to "protest" Bush....
Completely fucking retarded.

Why wasn't she killed?
Because she was worth more alive.
Either someone paid for her release or if they didn't, they just let her go for the propaganda angle. "Get her to make a statement against Bush!!!"
She's also a woman, who are still held in high regard in the Arab world, aside from Saudi.
She was held for period of time, compartively short with others, if you want to call it a logn time, fine it was because they were waiting to get cash and or release of the female prisoners.

This is not rocket science. On the morning after she was released they leaked out that she was forced into making that tape, then the reactionary tribe of fools who didn't hear this, assume the worst and jumped all over her, assuming she was just another "liberal sympathizer" and thus you see this fucking lame brained conspiracy talk.

Give Ms. Carroll a God damned break.

Sorry if that's harsh, had to say it.

Annnnd this is the reason why I don't bother posting in here more often. :|

I'm not going to apologize for having my doubts about this whole situation. We all have our own theories after all.

Last edited:
Jill Carroll reunites with family

BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) -- After nearly three months in captivity in Iraq, journalist Jill Carroll returned Sunday to the United States and was reunited with her family.

"I finally feel like I am alive again. I feel so good," the 28-year-old reporter for the Christian Science Monitor said Sunday, according to an article published on the newspaper's Web site.

"To be able to step outside anytime, to feel the sun directly on your face -- to see the whole sky. These are luxuries that we just don't appreciate every day."

U2Girl1978 said:

Annnnd this is the reason why I don't bother posting in here more often. :|

I'm not going to apologize for having my doubts about this whole situation. We all have our own theories after all.

You didn't or don't have to apologize for anything.

Do you have anything else to add to your conspiracy theory, or can I take it at face value?

If the reason you don't post more often is you have theories that you can't back up, or don't want to bother to, well I wouldn't post either.

In fact, I don't post all that much for the exact same reason.
I think things, then I dont' say them. If I do, then I take the heat.
If I open my mouth someone will surely take me to task.
That's the nature of this forum.

Don't play victim though. Just say what you want to say.

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:

You didn't or don't have to apologize for anything.

Do you have anything else to add to your conspiracy theory, or can I take it at face value?

If the reason you don't post more often is you have theories that you can't back up, or don't want to bother to, well I wouldn't post either.

In fact, I don't post all that much for the exact same reason.
I think things, then I dont' say them. If I do, then I take the heat.
If I open my mouth someone will surely take me to task.
That's the nature of this forum.

Don't play victim though. Just say what you want to say.

I said what I needed to say. She's home safe so that's all that matters really.

Iam happy and relieved for Miss Carroll and her family.I couldnt imagine being in that situation ever!

Iam in no position to judge her or second guess her actions or words.

Back
Top Bottom