It's about a powerstruggle - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2003, 05:18 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:06 PM
And what on earth is faith in humanity? Sinners, as we are, have the ability to choose good, but will ultimately always choose what is in our self interest.

Old 09-14-2003, 06:44 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:06 PM
nbcrusader, you're smart enough to know not everybody shares the view that all of us are "sinners" - how many religions don't even have a definition of "sin" - and furthermore, not everybody shares the view that we're all selfserving first.

Old 09-14-2003, 09:37 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:06 PM
Yes, I am well aware of this. People tend to do what is right in their own eyes.

And you and iacrobat are smart enough to know that not everyone shares the worldview that humanity can make itself better all on its own.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:14 AM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

And what on earth is faith in humanity? Sinners, as we are, have the ability to choose good, but will ultimately always choose what is in our self interest.
I don't share the view that we will always choose "self interest." I believe this is a systemic problem of capitalism and has nothing to do with christianity. To say humanity will always be self interested is very limiting. It disallows the possibility of making something better.

Faith in humanity= believing and living in a way that expresses that we are made in God's image and that we are endowed with all that is good about God. And through this we can create a better, more just world.

What I don't like is the idea that we are in a position where we must choose between God and Humanity. This is another expression of the dualism between body and soul, spirit and flesh, heaven and earth. While all things "spiritual" are exalted, all things physical are demonised and devalued. God did see that what he made is good. I don't like this language of dualism and choice. I think it does mock God's creation.

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Yes, I am well aware of this. People tend to do what is right in their own eyes.

And you and iacrobat are smart enough to know that not everyone shares the worldview that humanity can make itself better all on its own.
I don't think what I am saying means that we are on our own. This "faith in humanity" that I am talking about is faith in God I think. He gave us the ability to choose, he gave us his qualities of love, justice, mercy and forgivness. This tells me he thinks that we can choose what is right. He has faith in us.

Dualistic language and talk of choice is can be escapist.