It Was International Women's Day This Week - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:31 PM
It Was International Women's Day This Week

Meanwhile in Saudi Arabia..

Saudi gang-rape victim faces 90 lashes

Mon Mar 5

A Saudi woman who was kidnapped at knifepoint, gang-raped and then beaten by her brother has been sentenced to 90 lashes -- for meeting a man who was not a relative, a newspaper reported on Monday.

In an interview with the Saudi Gazette, the 19-year-old said she was blackmailed a year ago into meeting a man who threatened to tell her family they were having a relationship outside wedlock, which is illegal in the ultra-conservative desert kingdom.

After driving off together from a shopping mall near her home, the woman and the man were stopped and abducted by a gang of men wielding kitchen knives who took them to a farm where she was raped 14 times by her captors.

Five men were arrested for the rape and given jail terms ranging from 10 months to five years by a panel of judges in the eastern city of Qatif, near the woman's hometown.

But the judges also decided to sentence the woman, identified by the newspaper only as "G," and the man to lashes for being alone together in the car.

Unrelated men and women are forbidden from interacting in public in Saudi Arabia, which strictly enforces Islamic Sharia law.

"G" said one of the judges told her she was lucky not to have been given jail time. "I was shocked at the verdict. I couldn't believe my ears," said the woman, who has appealed against her sentence.

The woman also told the paper she tried to commit suicide because of her ordeal and was beaten by her younger brother because the rape had brought shame on their family.

Fuziyah al-Ouni, described as an activist by the paper, said she was outraged by the case. "By sentencing her to 90 lashes they are sending a message that she is guilty. No rape victim is guilty," she said.

There are severe legal restrictions on women in Saudi Arabia, including a strict dress code required outside the home and a ban on driving.

Where is the comment from anyone in the Bush administration about this and all such cases? *deafening sound of crickets*

Old 03-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:31 AM
I guess that's why they have those days. So people care or people don't forget. I guess they're not much more than symbols.
Too bad.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: It Was International Women's Day This Week

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Meanwhile in Saudi Arabia..

Saudi gang-rape victim faces 90 lashes

Mon Mar 5

A Saudi woman who was kidnapped at knifepoint, gang-raped and then beaten by her brother has been sentenced to 90 lashes -- for meeting a man who was not a relative, a newspaper reported on Monday.

In an interview with the Saudi Gazette, the 19-year-old said she was blackmailed a year ago into meeting a man who threatened to tell her family they were having a relationship outside wedlock, which is illegal in the ultra-conservative desert kingdom.

After driving off together from a shopping mall near her home, the woman and the man were stopped and abducted by a gang of men wielding kitchen knives who took them to a farm where she was raped 14 times by her captors.

Five men were arrested for the rape and given jail terms ranging from 10 months to five years by a panel of judges in the eastern city of Qatif, near the woman's hometown.

But the judges also decided to sentence the woman, identified by the newspaper only as "G," and the man to lashes for being alone together in the car.

Unrelated men and women are forbidden from interacting in public in Saudi Arabia, which strictly enforces Islamic Sharia law.

"G" said one of the judges told her she was lucky not to have been given jail time. "I was shocked at the verdict. I couldn't believe my ears," said the woman, who has appealed against her sentence.

The woman also told the paper she tried to commit suicide because of her ordeal and was beaten by her younger brother because the rape had brought shame on their family.

Fuziyah al-Ouni, described as an activist by the paper, said she was outraged by the case. "By sentencing her to 90 lashes they are sending a message that she is guilty. No rape victim is guilty," she said.

There are severe legal restrictions on women in Saudi Arabia, including a strict dress code required outside the home and a ban on driving.

Where is the comment from anyone in the Bush administration about this and all such cases? *deafening sound of crickets*
Seems to me we overthrew (is that even a word?) the wrong government...barbaric Saudi bastards.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:31 AM
David Frum said the same.
Instead of Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan should've been the targets.

But that wasn't possible

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...461512,00.html
Old 03-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Interesting article.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:01 AM
What horrible history I know is a matter of cultures and ways of thinking but that is disgusting!

BTW I don´t think that your goverment has nothing to do with it, you can´t blame them for what happened
Old 03-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
David Frum said the same.
Instead of Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan should've been the targets.
Weren't the 911 hi-jackers Iraqi and financed by Iraq and Saddam?

Aren't we killing Iraqis by the tens of thousands because of 911?

Well at least Iraqi women are free to roam the streets, go to schools and drive cars in Iraq now, Saddam would never have allowed that, right?
Old 03-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:31 AM
Sorry if it came across a bit wrong.

I never supported the Iraq war, nor any intervention into Saudi Arabia or Pakistan.

I just took the other post to throw in what I just read in this interview, since it in a way fitted it.

It shouldn't have intended that I was for a possible military intervention.