It is time to revise/update the U.S. constitution..... - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #286
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

You could anyway. He's got an illegally purchased gun and he's endangering the life of his daughter.

He sounds like an idiot.
Ahhhh some common ground.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #287
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Then should we eliminate drunk driving laws since, according to you, they don't prevent drunk driving from happening?

Should we eliminate speed limits since people still speed?

Should we? I do not know? I know taking guns from law abiding citizens, will not prevent a thing. I know that drunk driving laws do not prevent law abiding citizens....

And I know my need for speed willnot be reduced by any laws.

But in my world, drunk drivers who actually kill someone would receive the death penalty. I am pretty sure that would not fly in here either.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:10 PM   #288
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
People who are law abiding constantly have their rights restricted by the state.
This is a constitutional right guarenteed by the Bill of Rights. It is actually quite different. The Bill of Rights does not restrict, but it protects the citizens rights...

Now I agree there should be laws governing the ability of the citizenry to have guns for control purposes, however, I do not believe in the abolishment of the right all together.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:10 PM   #289
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:26 PM
Im still waiting on the US bringing in a constitutional right for mad scientists to bear doomsday weapons

The right to bear weapons for the overthrow of your own government is the epitome of freedom, some seem to think so
Old 04-22-2007, 07:12 PM   #290
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Then should we eliminate drunk driving laws since, according to you, they don't prevent drunk driving from happening?

Should we eliminate speed limits since people still speed?
No...lets get rid of booze and cars. Then there would be no problem. See drunk driving laws and speed limits, do not regulate. That is the point of this thread, no? That gun control laws do not work, so we must prevent people from owning them. Therefore, the same thing should apply to cars, since prohibition failed once already, lets ban cars, get the horse and carriage and ride. Personally I like reverse cowgirl.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #291
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

This is a constitutional right guarenteed by the Bill of Rights. It is actually quite different. The Bill of Rights does not restrict, but it protects the citizens rights...
That argument doesn't hold up. Constitutional rights are subject to limitations and interpretations. Take a look at the 5th amendment and how it was used in cases arguing for the expropriation of property (some of the dumbest SCOTUS decisions ever, btw). And how broadly the court was willing to interpret the phrase "public use" in order to LIMIT your right to property and the ability of the state to step in and expropriate.

So I ask again: why is gun ownership such a sacrosanct right that it should not be limited when other constitutional rights which are equally as guaranteed can be judicially and lawfully limited?
Old 04-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #292
Blue Crack Supplier

what is the purpose of a gun other than to kill?
Old 04-22-2007, 07:57 PM   #293
She's the One

Local Time: 09:26 PM
Quote:
I know taking guns from law abiding citizens, will not prevent a thing.
Yes it will. People are killed in gun accidents in their homes all the time. And by people, I mean children.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:59 PM   #294
She's the One

Quote:
I fail to understand why having a gun makes you feel that they are "paranoid".
Why else have a loaded gun within reach at night, like this man did? The only reason is fear. And if you're that fearful, you are fucking paranoid.

If the gun isn't loaded, then why have it? It can't "save your life" if you can't shoot it at will.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #295
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
As one of our friends once said "You can only use a gun once. Then you have to throw it away."
Old 04-22-2007, 08:08 PM   #296
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:26 AM
Quote:
From reading posts on some US conservative websites, I believe it has something to do with God and being a good Christian, but I'm still trying to work out what the link is.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:17 PM   #297
Blue Crack Addict

perhaps you don't know our anthem

"Onward Christian soldier...."
Old 04-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #298
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:56 AM
Quote:
to make lotsa money for weapons manufacturers
Old 04-22-2007, 08:33 PM   #299
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/0...tech-massacre/

STEPHANOPOULOS: How about the broader context? After Columbine, you gave a speech where you blamed 35 — blamed the shootings on 35 years of liberalism.

You went — you said, "I want to say to the elite of this country, the elite news media, the liberal academic elite, the liberal political elite — I accuse you in Littleton of being afraid to talk about the mess you've made and being afraid to take responsibility for the things you have done, and instead foisting on the rest of us pathetic banalities because you don't have the courage to look at the world you have created."

Do you stand by that prescription today?

GINGRICH: Yes, I think the fact is, if you look at the amount of violence we have in games that young people play at 7, 8, 10, 12, 15 years of age, if you look at the dehumanization, if you look at the fact that we refuse to say that we are, in fact, endowed by our creator, that our rights come from God, that if you kill somebody, you're committing an act of evil.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But what does that have to do with liberalism?

GINGRICH: Well, who has created a situation ethics, essentially, zone of not being willing to talk about any of these things. Let me carry another example. I strongly supported Imus being dismissed, but I also think the very thing he was dismissed for, which is the use of language which is stunningly degrading of women — the fact, for example, that one of the Halloween costumes this last year was being able to be either a prostitute or a pimp at 10, 11, 12 years of age, buying a costume, and we don't have any discussion about what's happened to our culture because while we're restricting political free speech under McCain-Feingold, we say it's impossible to restrict vulgar and vicious and anti-human speech.

And I would argue that that's a major component of what's happened to our culture in the last 40 years.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #300
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

That argument doesn't hold up. Constitutional rights are subject to limitations and interpretations. Take a look at the 5th amendment and how it was used in cases arguing for the expropriation of property (some of the dumbest SCOTUS decisions ever, btw). And how broadly the court was willing to interpret the phrase "public use" in order to LIMIT your right to property and the ability of the state to step in and expropriate.

So I ask again: why is gun ownership such a sacrosanct right that it should not be limited when other constitutional rights which are equally as guaranteed can be judicially and lawfully limited?
Again, it is not different. Limitations within policy is allowed. removing the right completely, which is the basis of this thread is quite different from REGULATION.