Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 3 - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #241
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoilbheannacht View Post
Well, I would assume her approval rating is probably based on a wide variety of things. I'm sure it does involve whether people think she is intelligent to some degree. Certainly, its a better indicator than some people who are foaming at the mouth waiting to see if they can find any Gaffe or near Gaffe from a couple of interviews. Alaska may have a lot of oil, but has any politician ever in Alaska had the approval ratings that she has had up there?

when has oil ever been this profitable?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #242
Refugee

Local Time: 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
For Alaska, I would say the 1970s when they did not have all the restrictions on drilling and the price of oil was relatively high even compared to today.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:25 PM   #243
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:38 AM
Quote:
so it is this profitable

why hasn't the Democratically controlled congress got a wind-fall profits tax bill passed?

Can you show me where Obama even offered some legislation?
Old 09-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #244
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
so it is this profitable

why hasn't the Democratically controlled congress got a wind-fall profits tax bill passed?

Can you show me where Obama even offered some legislation?

fwiw, Obama has spoken about wind-fall profits as part of his platform.

do you see this passing a 50/50 Senate?
Old 09-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #245
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
For Alaska, I would say the 1970s when they did not have all the restrictions on drilling and the price of oil was relatively high even compared to today.

so ... ?

and to further my point, not only does she pay off Alaskans (there are only 600,000 of them and it's one of the least diverse states in the nation), but she's been governor for 18 months.

what was GWB's approval rating 18 months into his presidency?

an 80% approval rating is hardly indication that she's qualified for national office. it's 600,000 people. many, many, many cities in this country have more people and more diverse populations.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #246
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:38 AM
thank you irvine.. ^
Old 09-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #247
Refugee

Local Time: 11:38 AM
Quote:
so ... ?

and to further my point, not only does she pay off Alaskans (there are only 600,000 of them and it's one of the least diverse states in the nation), but she's been governor for 18 months.

what was GWB's approval rating 18 months into his presidency?

an 80% approval rating is hardly indication that she's qualified for national office. it's 600,000 people. many, many, many cities in this country have more people and more diverse populations.
Since when has the number of people a state had and its level of diversity determined if a candidate was qualified for office? Adjusting for the time period and differences in population, Lincoln represented a smaller number of people in Illinois in the 1830s and 1840s than Sarah Palin has represented over the past two years.

If the Governor of Arkansas can be President, so can the Governor of Alaska.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #248
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
fwiw, Obama has spoken about wind-fall profits as part of his platform.

for the record

that ad a few weeks back

"Obama to give sex ed to kinderganden"

I have to admit it was a bad ad,
when I first viewed it,
I believed Obama had written or at least co-sponsored the legislation

that was not the case, the ad was misleading

now. Palin's record with the Oil and gas? producers is real

these folks had both parties doing their bidding in Alaska, there was collusion, perhaps corruption, she took it head on, made them renegotiate the fees/ taxes they pay

to try and dismiss this accomplishment or minimize it because one does not want to give her due credit

is as bad as believing Obama wrote legislation that would let teachers tell 5 year olds anything they wanted to about sex,
just because one wants to cast Obama in the poorest light possible.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #249
Blue Crack Supplier

^ does this somehow make up for everything else?

would such a thing be possible anywhere other than Alaska?

it's a deeply different state from the lower 48. to think that skills gleaned from 18 months in office north of Canada is somehow adequate preparation for the presidency is deeply weird.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #250
Blue Crack Addict

You know what, we have had an awful provincial government up there in Alberta which makes Alaska's oil deposits look like a couple of droplets. And they boast about the wonderful work they've done balancing the budget and so on when they are sitting on more oily gold than anywhere else in the free world. Well, gee, what an accomplishment it is to be swimming in profits when commodities skyrocket! If my dog ran that economy, he'd post the same results.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #251
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
^ does this somehow make up for everything else?

would such a thing be possible anywhere other than Alaska?
you don't get it

before Palin everyone believed it was impossible to accomplish this in Alaska

It was perceived as much less likely than

Quote:
wind-fall profits tax

Old 09-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #252
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
you don't get it

before Palin everyone believed it was impossible to accomplish this in Alaska

If was perceived as much less likely than

diamond? did you steal your brother's laptop?

i see someone's preaching the Politics of Hope.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #253
Blue Crack Addict

And here is a nice summation from a Palin apologist:

Quote:
But Sarah Palin's performance in the tiny vignettes of unscripted dialogue in which we've been allowed to see her has been nothing short of frightening -- really, as I said, pity-inducing. And I say that as someone who has thought from the start that the criticisms of her abilities -- as opposed to her ideology -- were much too extreme. One of two things is absolutely clear at this point: she is either (a) completely ignorant about the most basic political issues -- a vacant, ill-informed, incurious know-nothing, or (b) aggressively concealing her actual beliefs about these matters because she's petrified of deviating from the simple-minded campaign talking points she's been fed and/or because her actual beliefs are so politically unpalatable, even when taking into account the right-wing extremism that is permitted, even rewarded, in our mainstream. I'm not really sure which is worse, but it doesn't really matter, because with 40 days left before the election, both options are heinous.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #254
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Well, I would assume her approval rating is probably based on a wide variety of things. I'm sure it does involve whether people think she is intelligent to some degree. Certainly, its a better indicator than some people who are foaming at the mouth waiting to see if they can find any Gaffe or near Gaffe from a couple of interviews. Alaska may have a lot of oil, but has any politician ever in Alaska had the approval ratings that she has had up there?
I've done extensive reading of the blog that Irvine just posted. The blog was created earlier this year to discuss Alaskan politics, so it was around well before the Palin VP nomination, it wasn't created expressly to bash her. The blogger is from Anchorage, and quite a few of the commentors are Alaskan (although the longer this campaign goes on, the more 'outsiders' go to it for information, and to post).

From what I gather, Alaskan politics have long been corrupt, and Palin ran on a platform of cleaning up matters, and breaking up the ol' boys club. She took over from a corrupt administration, and people held out great hope, so of course she was popular. Add in the government payouts to citizens, and she was able to maintain that popularity for quite a while. Then, her numbers started to drop. Only into the 60's, but still, it was a drop. They apparently rose again after McCain selected her, due mostly to the fact that one of their own was on the national stage, poised for big things.

People engaged in politics up there recognize that she didn't so much take out the old boys network, as much as she created a new one, where she would hire people she knows for cushy positions, in exchange for crazy degrees of loyalty. Anyone left over from the old administration was put through certain loyalty tests, and if they didn't measure up to her standards, they were fired.

The huge news up there at this time, and, what I suspect will drop her numbers down even lower now is Troopergate. In mainland US, Republicans seem to poo-poo the trooper thing as not a big deal, but Alaskan residents seem extremely pissed off about it, especially in light of the way she promised transparency in her administration, but now, has gone to extreme lengths to block the investigation. And that's only one problem with her, there are many more.

Many people who know her personally post there, and while I've not heard her described as unintelligent, I have heard the words ambitious, vindictive, secretive, private, lacking common sense and insular bandied about, among others. She's also said to politically drift in whichever way the popular winds blow. She's not nearly as principled as she lets on. As well, a week or so ago, there was a pro-Palin rally held where she spoke. It had less than 1,000 attendees. The same day, and anti-Palin rally was also held. It was the biggest political rally in Alaska's history, with well over two thousand in attendance.

So yeah, is she popular up there? No doubt. But, the state is heavily Republican in the first place, and the residents are handed oil money. And, as she's becoming mired in controversy and scandal, her numbers are dropping, and more and more people are becoming disillusioned, and speaking out against her.

I urge you to check out that blog. It's eye-opening.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #255
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Since when has the number of people a state had and its level of diversity determined if a candidate was qualified for office? Adjusting for the time period and differences in population, Lincoln represented a smaller number of people in Illinois in the 1830s and 1840s than Sarah Palin has represented over the past two years.

If the Governor of Arkansas can be President, so can the Governor of Alaska.
Really? You're going to defend Sarah Palin by referring to something that happened 170 years ago?