Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And it's not hard to pronounce Iraq the way it's supposed to be. It's not Eye-rack, you dumb bitch! :banghead:

:|

I kid you not, earlier this summer CNN had a segment on where they compared the way McCain and Obama pronounce Iraq and Pakistan. After concluding that Obama pronounced both correctly, the Republican talking heads proceeded to mock him for his elitist ways of pronouncing it differently than most of the ignorant American public.

Par for the course.

After reading all the remarks in here

about the Palin interviews on CBS in here the last couple of days

I thought it was a complete disaster ( of course FYM has an 85% bias against her )

so I watched them

she did a very good job

she will continue to attract many voters, especially women

I will admit that overall she was better than I expected her to be, but it was painfully clear when she was out of her depth, and that was painfully clear on more than a few occasions.

Deep, what did she do that you think was correct? I literally think she screwed up every answer.

:huh: deep, did you watch the same interview? Are you still on the fence? cos you sound like you've made your decision.

She did a very good job at what exactly? I honestly don’t understand this. I’m honestly not sure how people could watch her in one of these interviews and come away from it with any kind of good opinion. She’s not a celebrity, not an actress or something where all you want to see is enough to go “oh, she seems down to earth, nice” etc. There’s extra focus on her because of McCain. If McCain were 10-15 years younger, it would be easier to write her off as just a VP, doesn’t mean anything, she’ll just jet around the country as the soft PR face of the Administration. But because it’s McCain, and it’s a really, really important election, she’s got the extra “this person could really be President one day” focus on her, as there should be, and under that spotlight, I can’t fathom where her support is coming from. I don’t see anything there that even remotely has her up for the job. I can’t believe that this is one of four people who could be President of the United States at some point over the next four years. I wouldn’t make any judgment on her background or personality or her record or whatever – she’s seems fine to me, genuine etc – but holy shit! Come on! Potentially the President of what is still the most powerful nation on earth? Can you imagine?!?! I seriously don’t understand it. And if I were a US conservative, I’d be incredibly pissed off.

After she was announced as VP, it was a combination of Harry Vest, deep, STING and possibly U2186 (I hope I'm not confusing him w/ another username) who were the ones most consistently claiming an effect on women/female voters. It seems like most of them have stopped, probably in light of the polls, except for deep tonight.

After she was announced as VP, it was a combination of Harry Vest, deep, STING and possibly U2186 (I hope I'm not confusing him w/ another username) who were the ones most consistently claiming an effect on women/female voters. It seems like most of them have stopped, probably in light of the polls, except for deep tonight.

Huh. She does have "an effect on women/female voters". Some hate her from the core of their beings, others love her, and others are just simply confounded. Today's gallup poll is...get this...A TIE!!! It appears middle America isn't quite as horrified as most FYM'ers. Geez, what a surprise. Like I've said countless times the biggest mistake the Democrats and others can do is simply write her off as a clown. I remember all too well the years 1979 and 1980 when most of the world was laughing hysterically at the prospect of Ronald Reagan actually running for the highest office in the land.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

I remember all too well the years 1979 and 1980 when most of the world was laughing hysterically at the prospect of Ronald Reagan actually running for the highest office in the land.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

This is quite true, at least based on my admittedly hazy recollection. I do remember before that election, it was "Hey, even Americans aren't mad enough to elect a Hollywood movie actor". I do remember that the media at least on this side of the pond were not expecting Reagan to win.

This is quite true, at least based on my admittedly hazy recollection. I do remember before that election, it was "Hey, even Americans aren't mad enough to elect a Hollywood movie actor". I do remember that the media at least on this side of the pond were not expecting Reagan to win.

Thanks. At least someone on FYM remembers this. See, I wasn't making this up people. It happened.

I recall Reagan putting himself before America, answering media questions, campaigning in at least 52 of the 57 states, displaying some measure of executive competence in being governor of the largest state and managing a national campaign, and directly assuming the burden of proving that he was a competent President.

I also recall Sarah Palin being selected by one man, with one of the best arguments for her place on the ticket being "well she's a quick learner".

I also recall Sarah Palin being selected by one man, with one of the best arguments for her place on the ticket being "well she's a quick learner".

Well, shit!:ohmy: Why am I not McCain's VP? I'm a quick learner. Why, just last week I learned how the entire sales and cash process works at my new job. I'm ready to handle the economy!:hyper:

Well, shit!:ohmy: Why am I not McCain's VP? I'm a quick learner. Why, just last week I learned how the entire sales and cash process works at my new job. I'm ready to handle the economy!:hyper:

Come on. You don't have the foreign policy experience. Or do you? Do you like Mexican food?

I recall Reagan putting himself before America, answering media questions, campaigning in at least 52 of the 57 states

Shit. I always thought there were just 50 states. :ohmy:

Come on. You don't have the foreign policy experience. Or do you? Do you like Mexican food?

I didn't get a chance to eat dinner, so I'm about to do a Taco Bell run now!:hi5: Also, I live 30 minutes from the Ambassador Bridge (not to be confused with the Bridge to Nowhere) which is in Detroit. This bridge leads directly to the foreign nation of Canada! That's right, if I drive to Detroit, a mere 30 minutes from my home, I can then drive across this bridge, which takes about 20-30 more minutes, and I will be in Canada! I'm like frickin' Henry Kissinger here. Come on! M I RITE?!?!1111:happy:

What type of experience would some one running for President in 1860 typically of had?

What type of experience does someone running for President in 2008 typically have?

Yes, there are all kinds of differences between 1860 and 2008, but were talking about one thing, the experience required to be President.

The experience and knowledge required to lead a country. I wouldn't argue that Palin is simply inexperienced, though some more time in high profile politics might be helpful in her case, but that she simply lacks in brightness, curiousness and knowledge about important issues. And it doesn't help herself trying to desperately claim she's having some international experience only because Putin likes to fly over Kanada.
She isn't honest herself about this lack, and she seems to know fully well why she isn't. Because it seems to be of importance.
And well, in this day and age it's not helpful to know so little about foreign countries when you want to be president or vice president of any country simply because in that position situations occur where you have to know how to work together and negotiate with other countries not after you have went through some extensive training.

However, in my opinion it's not her lack of having had to deal with foreign leaders that makes her incompetent, but rather that she has no clue of what is going on in the world, she never seemed to care what is going on and she apparently lacks the intellectual capability to engage with foreign leaders and to get behind foreign issues in all their complicated matters. Her answers in the interviews so far show very clear that all she can say about foreign issues is the little bit she has seen in US media (and I'm really sorry, but when it comes to explaining the world your media just sucks) and what her advisors have trained her so far. She can't answer the questions, but rather blabbers away without making sense, repeating the interviewer's question and saying exactly the same nonsensical, nonfitting sentence at least two times in one sentence.

Another thing is, and there we seem to differ fundamentally, is that I just don't care how Lincoln was prepared in international relations, or any other person was prepared when running for office. The fundamental difference is, if you look at those people and their history you always find that they were extremely intelligent, very open and their whole career reflect just another sense of political talent etc.
I view people on their own, I look at how they engage difficult issues and questions, I try to get behind how they think when it comes to such issues like foreign relations, knowledge in the areas required for doing their job as president and I assess the people on their own, on their personal capacity. And seriously, listening to or reading what Sarah Palin so far has said in her few interviews as well as reading about what she has done in Alaska gives me the impression that she is a person who certainly is very determined of assuming high positions in politics, but she herself simply is not capable of filling that position. It's not Lincoln running, it's not Kennedy running, it's not Agnew running, it's no one else running but Sarah Palin. And she is just not fit to be a good vice president.

I don't really know if you believe what you write, but trying to interfere there is some static point when one becomes ready, and some static amount of experience one needs to be a good president, and trying to get this answer doesn't bring you any further, simply because you are asking for the non-existent. People are not black and white, you need to assess each one on their own. And by doing so you see fundamental differences in Palin, Lincoln, Obama and whoever else you want to throw in.

Shit. I always thought there were just 50 states. :ohmy:

A few months ago Admiral Obama discovered 7 more, and claimed them for the great nation of America. The native "Canadians" weren't too pleased, but they were surprisingly polite about it. :hmm:

Couric: You don't think the United States is within its rights to express its position to Israel? And if that means second-guessing or discussing an option?

Palin: No, abso … we need to express our rights and our concerns and …

This is one of the things I was alluding to. She listens to the interviewer's question and then tries to use the same words for her answer. But "rights to express" and expressing one's rights is not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom