Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 2 - Page 56 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #826
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Any particular evidence for this assertion?

the obsession with abstinence-only education that goes along with the anti-choice movement; the notion that a collection of cells is more important than the autonomy of a woman; the sneaking suspicion that concern for "murdering babies" is just a pretext for wanting to keep women clean and unsoiled for their future husbands.

just how many pro-choicers do you think wear chastity rings? or make virginity pledges? or go to purity balls and vow to their fathers to remain "pure" until marriage?

and the lack of emphasis on purity for the menfolk. it's still always about women's vaginas and what goes in there. there is no similar standard of behavior expected of men in the way that there is for women.

further, not all (many anti-choice organizations do good work in helping women have babies and then find employment) but much of anti-choice movement could well be considered to be pro-birth but not genuinely pro-life. where is the universal health care? where do we guarantee that women get equal pay for equal work? where is the federally funded child care?

Old 09-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #827
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
apparently the right defines feminism differentlly from the left.
This doesn't come as a shock. The right defines everything differently from the rest of the world.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #828
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:20 AM
Stumper : Palin's Favorability Ratings Begin to Falter

Palin's Favorability Ratings Begin to Falter

Quote:
The polls reflected the early success of her strategy. In the three days after Palin joined Team McCain--Aug. 29-31--32 percent of voters told the pollsters at Diageo/Hotline that they had a favorable opinion of her; most (48 percent) didn't know enough to say. By Sept. 4, however, 43 percent of Diageo/Hotline respondents approved of Palin with only 25 percent disapproving--an 18-point split. Apparently, voters were liking what they were hearing. Four days later, Palin's approval rating had climbed to 47 percent (+17), and by Sept. 13 it had hit 52 percent. The gap at that point between her favorable and unfavorable numbers--22 percent--was larger than either McCain's (+20) or Obama's (+13).

But then a funny thing happened: Palin lost some of her luster. Since Sept. 13, Palin's unfavorables have climbed from 30 percent to 36 percent. Meanwhile, her favorables have slipped from 52 percent to 48 percent. That's a three-day net swing of -10 points, and it leaves her in the Sept. 15 Diageo/Hotline tracking poll with the smallest favorability split (+10) of any of the Final Four. Over the course of a single weekend, in other words, Palin went from being the most popular White House hopeful to the least.

What happened? I'd argue that Palin's considerable novelty is starting to wear off.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #829
Blue Crack Supplier

question for the anti-choice/pro-life people: would you have an amniocentesis? why? why do you think Palin had one?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #830
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
..that many here are resorting to race baiting shows their desperation.

<>
I think you better be concerned with that speck in your own eye:

Quote:
The 2008 Republican National Convention in Minneapolis/St. Paul had the lowest black representation in 40 years, the Center reported. The 36 African-American delegates in 2008 represented only 1.5 percent of the party’s total delegate count. That’s a 78.4 percent decline from 2004, when 164 black delegates participated at the Republican Convention.

The Joint Center has prepared similar reports for both the Republican and Democratic conventions every four years since 1972. (It found that nearly 25 percent of delegates attending the Democratic Party’s 2008 convention were African American.)
Why is nobody talking about John McCain's problem with black people?

Obama's problem with PUMAs, Catholics, rednecks, women, racists, Pennsyltuckians and heaven knows what else has been discussed ad nauseum.

Does John McCain not care about black people? Why isn't he courting them? Are they not part of his country too? Is he not ashamed that he'll get 3% of their vote if he's lucky?

Let's talk about race if you want to talk about race.

What's he down with Latinos these days? 40 points?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #831
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:20 AM
Old 09-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #832
Blue Crack Supplier

John McCain hates black people...
Old 09-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #833
Blue Crack Distributor

I was waiting for that Kanye
Old 09-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #834
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
why do you think Palin had one?
From what I've read, her explanation was that she "likes to be prepared"--meaning, I assume, that she'd rather not find something like that out only at birth, as opposed to having had time to come to terms with the emotions, the anticipated extra care burden, etc. (Though I find this hard to reconcile with the fact that she didn't tell her other children, but maybe that's just me.)

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-16-2008, 05:32 PM   #835
Blue Crack Distributor

Isn't it usually normal for a woman over 40 to have an amnio?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #836
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:20 PM
You can refuse one, though, and I think a lot of pro-life women would on principle.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-16-2008, 05:39 PM   #837
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
(Though I find this hard to reconcile with the fact that she didn't tell her other children, but maybe that's just me.)
The fact that the 15-year-old daughter took one look at the baby and then asked why they weren't told that he was Down's struck me as incredibly odd. When I relayed the story to my Mom, she commented that she thought it was extremely selfish not to prepare your children better, especially since they are older children.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #838
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

Obama's problem with PUMAs, Catholics, rednecks, women, racists, Pennsyltuckians and heaven knows what else has been discussed ad nauseum.

Does John McCain not care about black people? Why isn't he courting them? Are they not part of his country too? Is he not ashamed that he'll get 3% of their vote if he's lucky?

Am I missing something or is this THE FIRST TIME EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES THAT A BLACK MAN IS RUNNING FOR THE HIGHEST OFFICE IN THE LAND. And you wonder why McCain is only getting 3%???
C'mon, it's not rocket science.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #839
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

"I'm not a racist, but the reason no one cares is because they don't vote."

I've heard this not once but twice in the last week, once in private and once on the radio by a talking head.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #840
Blue Crack Addict

I am wondering why McCain is unconcerned about it.

I am wondering why he's been down by as many as 40 points with Latinos - is Obama Hispanic now too? And why nobody in the media seems to give a shit about this.