Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 2 - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #541
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Well it's hard to say. Democrats outnumber Republicans in this country by at least 5 to 6 percent, so it creates kind of a weird paradox.

Perhaps the average American is a conservative Democrat?
I think reality is in the middle. I think the 40% that answered "somewhat conservative" and the 27% than answered "somewhat liberal" are, in reality, moderates. That's 67% plus 2%. 69%. Nearly 7 out of 10 americans are moderates.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #542
War Child

Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Local Time: 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post

The other interesting thing about this is I keep hearing from you and many others how the fact that this race is close is somehow an indication that the Democrats are screwing up, we should be up by 10 points. Sounds like some folks like to have it both ways.

Obama has tried to make McCain out to be GW Bush who has a 33% approval rating. Obama had the momentum he had going into the DNC. Without the choice of Palin I think he would have that 10+ point lead right now. However, it in not the case. It is not because a screw up from the Dems, (unless you consider not picking Clinton screwing up) It was a brilliant pick by McCain that has completely changed the election.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #543
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
And even though 60% claim to be conservative, judging by all the state polls on realclearpolitics.com and applying them to the electoral college, if the election were held today, Obama would win.
come on, that should be an easy one

Obama keeps saying he is pro 2nd amendment, that he is non-partisan, that he would appoint GOP to his cabinet, that he wants to move beyond the partisan politics - that means not let the Dems run the show by themselves if he is elected

True Liberals, like Dennis Kucinich are not being named by Obama as potential cabinet members

How much has Obama even campaigned with Kucinich of Ohio, a battlegrounf state?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #544
Refugee

Local Time: 06:49 PM
Quote:
And even though 60% claim to be conservative, judging by all the state polls on realclearpolitics.com and applying them to the electoral college, if the election were held today, Obama would win. :
Most of the State polling that realclearpolitics has is from before the conventions. Lets see what the map looks like later this week or next.

Take a look at the national polls:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - General Election: McCain vs. Obama

No leads at all for Obama.

McCain continues his 5 point lead in the Gallup poll for the second day in a row. Not a bad position to be in, eh?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #545
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
Obama has tried to make McCain out to be GW Bush who has a 33% approval rating. Obama had the momentum he had going into the DNC. Without the choice of Palin I think he would have that 10+ point lead right now. However, it in not the case. It is not because a screw up from the Dems, (unless you consider not picking Clinton screwing up) It was a brilliant pick by McCain that has completely changed the election.
Perhaps it has changed the election - what angers me is not that she has changed the election(although that is frustrating to an Obama supporter), it is WHY she has changed the election. She has changed the election by giving speeches about being a hockey mom or a PTA mom(both of which she was for a far shorter time than she would like us to believe, from what I read) or a mother of five or other stuff like that. There's nothing wrong with any of that. But it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, zilch, zero, nada, with whether or not she is fit/qualified/prepared/whatever adjective you want to use, to be the second most powerful person in America, to govern a nation, to make foreign policy decisions. Nothing at all. The fact that she was a hockey mom or a pta mom or whatever IS NOT relevant to the discussion of whether or not she should be VP. But she, with the McCain campaign, is running with it, because people buy into it. And that's what pisses me off. Not that people genuinely side with her because they agree with her policies, but because people side with her for reasons that have NO place in the discussion, that have NO relevance to the debate, and that are only presented to the public because the McCain campaign believes that there are enough gullible people out there that will buy into it. That may seem harsh, but to me it is symbolic of everything that is wrong with American politics.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #546
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Most of the State polling that realclearpolitics has is from before the conventions. Lets see what the map looks like later this week or next.

Take a look at the national polls:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - General Election: McCain vs. Obama

No leads at all for Obama.

McCain continues his 5 point lead in the Gallup poll for the second day in a row. Not a bad position to be in, eh?
You keep saying this is a convention bounce - it is called a bounce for a reason. It goes up after the convention and then back down again as time goes by. Otherwise it would be called a convention surge, or a convention boost.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #547
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
How much has Obama even campaigned with Kucinich of Ohio, a battlegrounf state?
Maybe it is because Obama doesn't want to ride in Kucinich's spaceship?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #548
ONE
love, blood, life

Also, Sting, a few of the states there have updated Rassmussen polls with an end date of 9/7, including Colorado, a state that may end up mattering more than any other.

In Colorado, Obama's lead is now one point, an increase over his earlier .3 of a point.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #549
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Well, since according to many, the current Republican President in the White House is the "worst in US history", Democrats should win in November by one of the largest landslides in history.
Well he is the worst in US history, but humans are creatures of habit...
Old 09-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #550
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yes this pick has changed the election, but the question now is it a permanant change? Will the novelty wear off or is she for real? We'll see.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #551
War Child

Quote:
Perhaps it has changed the election - what angers me is not that she has changed the election(although that is frustrating to an Obama supporter), it is WHY she has changed the election. She has changed the election by giving speeches about being a hockey mom or a PTA mom(both of which she was for a far shorter time than she would like us to believe, from what I read) or a mother of five or other stuff like that. There's nothing wrong with any of that. But it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, zilch, zero, nada, with whether or not she is fit/qualified/prepared/whatever adjective you want to use, to be the second most powerful person in America, to govern a nation, to make foreign policy decisions. Nothing at all. The fact that she was a hockey mom or a pta mom or whatever IS NOT relevant to the discussion of whether or not she should be VP. But she, with the McCain campaign, is running with it, because people buy into it. And that's what pisses me off. Not that people genuinely side with her because they agree with her policies, but because people side with her for reasons that have NO place in the discussion, that have NO relevance to the debate, and that are only presented to the public because the McCain campaign believes that there are enough gullible people out there that will buy into it. That may seem harsh, but to me it is symbolic of everything that is wrong with American politics.
I can say the same of Obama. He made one speech at a DNC that people we impressed with...sound familiar?? He won a Senate seat pretty much uncontested. Palin took on her own party and won. I dont think there is anything on his resume that makes me feel that he is the best choice. He rode the excitement to his place just as Palin has. The big difference is shes #2 on the ticket, Obama's name is on the top. There continues to be a comparison of Obama to Palin. Thats not who he is running against.

I know whats coming so I will save you the time. McCain is 73 he could die. If that is the best you can come up with for going at Palin v Obama instead or McCain v Obama, its not very strong in my opinion.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #552
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
If that is the best you can come up with for going at Palin v Obama instead or McCain v Obama, its not very strong in my opinion.
Well McCain was hurting before he picked Palin, even conservatives have stopped talking about McCain, face it he's now riding on her coattails. He's just hoping they are long enough.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #553
War Child

Quote:
Also, Sting, a few of the states there have updated Rassmussen polls with an end date of 9/7, including Colorado, a state that may end up mattering more than any other.

In Colorado, Obama's lead is now one point, an increase over his earlier .3 of a point.
And McCain has stretched out his lead in OH from 5 point to 7 and picked up a point in Virgina, not a 2 point lead and now has a 2 point lead in FL.

With the exception of OH its all too close to call. They can go either way.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #554
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Well McCain was hurting before he picked Palin, even conservatives have stopped talking about McCain, face it he's now riding on her coattails. He's just hoping they are long enough.

Maybe they are excited and willing to listen because his pick of a Washington outsider is consistent with his being a maverick? Maybe they see this a a real attempt at change not just talking about in?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #555
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
It was a brilliant pick by McCain that has completely changed the election.

it has turned out to be a short-term politically astute pick,

but i'd be worried about long-term damage to the ticket as a whole because she undercuts his entire pre-convention narrative, takes experience off the table, and has shifted the entire campaign from issues to personal narratives.

and i think we all agree, even if we are loathe to admit it, that this pick was only about politics, not about competence.

some might think it was necessary in order to raise McCain from the dead yet again, but what does this say about McCain and the "country first" narrative?