Is Jesus the only way to Heaven? How do you interpret these scriptures? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2004, 01:07 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:29 AM
To get back to the main topic of discussion about Christ being the only way, consider this — Christianity is the only religion where God became a man. (This excludes Judaism, which is still waiting on its savior). He did this to understand our perspective and go through what we go through —*what a God! Most other religions, those that believe in a God, believe it was a man who became God or was enlightened. How much sense does that make? That would take much more faith for me to believe that.
What always gets me is the links between the OT and the NT.
There are numerous prophecies about "the Messiah" in the old testament that are fulfilled in the new testament. Take Psalm 22:16-18 for example. It talks about Christ crucifixion hundreds of years before crucifixion was invented! Then look at the book of Isaiah. There are 66 chapters in Isaiah. The first 39 deal with the OT law. The last 27 deal with the Christ. Well, there are also 66 books in the Bible - the first 39, or the OT, deal with the law, while the last 27, or the NT, deal with the Christ!!
That proves that he is the Christ that Jews are waiting for, and there's many other prophecies that were fulfilled. If you think Islam is the way, did you know Christ is mentioned something like 96 times in the Koran? Mohammed, its main prophet, is only mentioned about 30 times!

I don't mean to beat anyone over the head with stuff like this, I'm just excited to share it. If anyone wants to discuss more, hit me at coemgen17@hotmail.com

Old 12-02-2004, 02:56 PM   #77
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

This is not a matter of interpreting one or two verses. There are dozens and dozens of verses that all point to one conclusion. Salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.

The clearest statements are found in:

John 14:6
Acts 4:11-12
Acts 16:30-31
1 Timothy 2:5
1 John 2:23
1 John 5:11-12
Luke 10:16
Luke 12:8-9
John 3:18
John 3:36
John 8:24

We can go on from there with verses that support

1. Jesus is the only source of salvation for the world
2. Jesus is the Father's choice
3. Rejection of Jesus is rejection of the Father
4. Rejection of Jesus brings judgment; belief in Jesus rescues from wrath
5. Jesus is the only one who provides forgiveness from sin
6. There are no other alternatives for salvation
Ok I've read most of those, but I haven't seen one yet that says you have to know Jesus. No one's clarifed exactly what these mean. Jesus has already died for our sins, so the door is open. Do we have to know him by name to get in?

I don't think the child born in Africa who never heard of Christ is denying him. Christ has already fulfilled his gift of grace, so why is this child doesn't get to partake in this gift because we didn't spread the word, because of geography. This is the part I'm trying to understand. Now I know I've simplified it a little too much by saying the door is open come on in, but really none of these versus say exactly what it is everyone needs to do to go through Jesus.

Old 12-02-2004, 03:04 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
I'll be honest guys. My wife and I have NO money right now. None. We have rent and a number of other bills and our account is overdrawn. We just applied for food stamps too. I know that if I didn't have God, I'd be freaking out now. But I'm not. He's in control and I've given my life to him. He's going to lead us out of this situation. I know it! He's never let us down. He sticks to his promises, which are everywhere in the Bible. That's the best testimony I can give you guys —*this peace I feel now despite the situation my wife, and child (soon to be two) are in. God is good!
Keep hanging tough, coemgen. I'm glad you have so much hope in your situation.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:05 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

I think the way to Heaven is knowing what is truly important and truly good in this world and doing your best to let that guide your life and your choices. Of course the teachings of Jesus and what Jesus represents for can be helpful for many people in determining that.

That's my completely simplistic way of looking at it, as of this minute
Old 12-02-2004, 03:15 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I don't think the child born in Africa who never heard of Christ is denying him. Christ has already fulfilled his gift of grace, so why is this child doesn't get to partake in this gift because we didn't spread the word, because of geography. This is the part I'm trying to understand. Now I know I've simplified it a little too much by saying the door is open come on in, but really none of these versus say exactly what it is everyone needs to do to go through Jesus.
Why was Jesus' closing words to the disciples "and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth" if other than to go an tell everyone about Jesus.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:19 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Personally, I think that the villages who have never been preached the gospel is much like the people who lived before Christ.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:27 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Good call Macfistowannabe. (And thanks for the encouragement.) Plus, maybe God's word hasn't reached everyone, but he still can through creation and other ways. An aboriginie who hasn't heard the Gospel can still cry out in his heart toward God with the wonder of the beauty found on the Earth. He may not know Christ, but I'm sure God will work where he's at. I don't have any firm, backed up answer to that question, but I know God likes to work with us where we're at.

Also, for those of you are interested Christianity without all the crap, visit www.relevantmagazine.com. It's a magazine/publishing company that talks about faith issues and pop culture. They've been called "U2 Christians," and had Bono on the cover recently and have a book on their faith called "Walk On."
Good stuff.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:34 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
From www.relevantmagazine.com:
According to MTV, Eminem has been bestowed the honorary title of "priest" by the cult group the Raeleans for his anti-war anthem "Mosh." Not only are the Raeleans extreme pacifists, but they also believe that God is really an alien.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:50 PM   #84
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Plus, maybe God's word hasn't reached everyone, but he still can through creation and other ways. An aboriginie who hasn't heard the Gospel can still cry out in his heart toward God with the wonder of the beauty found on the Earth. He may not know Christ, but I'm sure God will work where he's at. I don't have any firm, backed up answer to that question, but I know God likes to work with us where we're at.

Ok I understand this, so then here's my next question what if this aboriginie is living a righteous life in another religion? Because that's the religion of the land. It's all he knows. Now granted it's not a religion that calls for killing, casting judgement etc. He's a righteous man, he's really dove into his heart and nothing in his heart tells him this religion is wrong. In all aspects with the exception that the name he speaks isn't Jesus he's as a good a Christian if not better than most. What happens?

Here's where I'm getting at I think the power of God transends religion and it trandsends a name. God's son has made his sacrifice. If a man is living a life as close as he can to the example set by Jesus without even knowing Jesus how is it that a just God will deny him heaven but take your neighbor?
Old 12-02-2004, 04:01 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
You're in my prayers U2Kitten. Hang in there.
Thanks, same to you
Old 12-02-2004, 04:26 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Hey BonoVoxSupastar, that's a great question. It's tough to try to figure out all of this stuff because, well, we're not God, ya know? I consider myself a Chrsistian who has read a lot, but I'm still learning. I do know that God is a just and fair God, and when judgement day comes, we will accept our judgement as fair and perfect. God will do that with you, me and the aboriginie. If he hasn't heard of Christ, I don't know how God deals with that. If he has it's a different story. It's not up to me to judge, it's up to God. I know also that God is after us all, he wants us for eternity! He gives us all chances to know him, it's up to us to do our part, which is simply accepting his son, his sacrifice and forgiveness after we ask for it. While we should be concerned about the aboriginie as much as the next guy, where are you with it all?
Old 12-02-2004, 04:56 PM   #87
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Here's where I'm getting at I think the power of God transends religion and it trandsends a name. God's son has made his sacrifice. If a man is living a life as close as he can to the example set by Jesus without even knowing Jesus how is it that a just God will deny him heaven but take your neighbor?
I would bet that he gets taken while someone sitting in the pew on Sunday doing nothing for his brother finds out something different.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:03 AM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I would bet that he gets taken while someone sitting in the pew on Sunday doing nothing for his brother finds out something different.
Are you suggesting that there is a works component to salvation?
Old 12-03-2004, 08:05 AM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i have sort of an interesting spin to put on this thread...unless it was already spun and i missed it. anyway.

what do the christians here think about someone who has left the church and/or renounced christianity? the pastor of the church i used to attend believes that once you accept christ - that's it, you're saved not matter what may come but i don't know if that's the common assessment. any opinions on this?

ps. i am one such person
Old 12-03-2004, 08:09 AM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I feel that you have to take charge of your faith, and you can't just stop believing. When you decide to screw over your Christianity altogether, it's as if you've never believed in the first place.