Is Death a bad thing? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2001, 05:55 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:30 PM
Is Death a bad thing?

It is a fact of life.
It is inevitable.
It is painful.
... Is it a bad thing?
AND is it a bad thing for the deceased, or the living loved ones left behind?

"When you learn how to die, you learn how to live."
- Morrie Schwart from the book, "Tuesdays with Morrie"

Old 08-13-2001, 06:19 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Trash Can:
It is a fact of life.
It is inevitable.
It is painful.
... Is it a bad thing?
AND is it a bad thing for the deceased, or the living loved ones left behind?
"When you learn how to die, you learn how to live."
- Morrie Schwart from the book, "Tuesdays with Morrie"
I think it is DEFINITELY a bad thing for those left behind. My brother was killed at the age of 31, with a wife and two young children left behind. That's a bad thing.

Old 08-13-2001, 06:50 PM   #3
Banned

Like 80's said, it's bad if the person dies at a young age. I'm not afraid of death at all, cause i know i'll be going to a better place.

------------------
"Fifteen referees. I want fifteen referees to be at this fight because there ain't no one man who can keep up with the pace I'm gonna set except me. There's not a man alive who can whup me. I'm too fast. I'm too smart. I'm too pretty. I should be a postage stamp. That's the only way I'll ever get licked."
Old 08-13-2001, 08:02 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:30 AM
Even for those who die young, you must take comfort in the knowledge that they are in a better place and at peace, as difficult as that is for us here on Earth.

~U2Alabama
Old 08-13-2001, 08:40 PM   #5
Acrobat

I dont believe in a better place or any place after death. But im not afraid. I mean what could it possible mean to you? It should be more scary for the ones you leave behind cos youre not gonna be there to live without you.
I never lost anyone I know, but I have seen someone die. That person wasnt afraid at all even though it was he hasnt been able to prepare himself (was stabbed), with preparing i mean being sick for a long time and knowing in advance you're going to die any time soo. I dont mean that this is an easier way to die, Id probably find it harder.
So imo its bad for the people that stay behind, even if you believe in live after death. I think the deceased one wont even notice, cos either he is gone (like really gone, nothing) or as many of you believe, he is in a better place and this better place wont be all about remembering the ones you left behind or else i wont be a better place.

Weird description, hope that you can all understand my point.
Old 08-13-2001, 08:42 PM   #6
the invisible woman

Local Time: 07:30 AM
Death, is something that obviously none of us have any control over it. Whether death is bad or not, in many ways it feels like it is bad. When you lose someone so close to you, it hurts and the pain lingers and its seems that life isn't fair. It causes pain to the ones left behind, so death becomes bad that way. Even though we all know from the beginning that we are all going to die someday. That you can't escape death. But when it happens to you all of a sudden, it just becomes the worse thing in the world, it becomes bad. But also if your spiritual and believe in God, then you can say that God, knows why he does these things. Why he decides to take a person's life at a young age or the life of someone with a family, only God knows. I mean God gave us the gift of life, and if he wants it back, then we can't complain. But this mentality is so hard to accept when your going through grief.

------------------
~*Dream Out loud*~

(.(*. .*).)
.. *Monica* ..
(.(.* *.).)
Old 08-14-2001, 12:57 AM   #7
Refugee

i so so scared of death. For me and for my loved ones. Its my greatest fear.

Is it bad. No. Death should be a celebrated thing!

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono
Old 08-14-2001, 01:46 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I guess death is definitely bad for the living loved ones. As for the deceased themselves... I don't know. There may be a possibility that we all go to a better place afterwards, but I don't see why there can't be an equal possibility of going to a worse place instead. Perhaps it ends then and there, and the spark just goes out, or maybe there is a re-incarnation process going on. I just hope it will take a reaaaaally long time before I find out,
Old 08-14-2001, 01:46 AM   #9
New Yorker

I'm not really all that in to death.
Old 08-14-2001, 09:16 AM   #10
She wore graaaapes

Local Time: 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler:
I'm not really all that in to death.
Maybe this is one of the reasons no one watches Six Feet Under!!

------------------
"See, the rock star gets his way! Thank you very much. This feels very Elvis. Thank you."

Bono ~ Houston, Texas 4-02-01
Old 08-14-2001, 12:52 PM   #11
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by SweetOnU2:
. Why he decides to take a person's life at a young age or the life of someone with a family, only God knows. I mean God gave us the gift of life, and if he wants it back, then we can't complain.

I have a problem with the concept that God "takes people away". That God "came and took Mommy away". Tell that to a six year old boy and he will grow up to hate and fear ( not the "biblical fear") God.
I have to believe that God feels the pain that the deceased loved ones feel. I have to believe that He cries as we cry.
I have to believe that He knows what it is like to see a loved one suffer and die, because He did see it.
I have to believe He knows what we feel. How we suffer. How we hurt.

There are no easy answers. At least I don't ahve them. I know this: Life is NOT fair. Innocent people die. It is a fact.
And we are left to do what we like with these facts.
Be it that we do a good thing, or a bad thing.

Peace.
Old 08-14-2001, 01:32 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:30 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by SweetOnU2:
. Why he decides to take a person's life at a young age or the life of someone with a family, only God knows. I mean God gave us the gift of life, and if he wants it back, then we can't complain.

I have a problem with the concept that God "takes people away". That God "came and took Mommy away". Tell that to a six year old boy and he will grow up to hate and fear ( not the "biblical fear") God.
I have to believe that God feels the pain that the deceased loved ones feel. I have to believe that He cries as we cry.
I have to believe that He knows what it is like to see a loved one suffer and die, because He did see it.

There are no easy answers. At least I don't ahve them. I know this: Life is NOT fair. Innocent people die. It is a fact.
And we are left to do what we like with these facts.
Be it that we do a good thing, or a bad thing.
Peace.
Trash Can, as we do on many theological issues, I agree with you.
Old 08-14-2001, 09:07 PM   #13
the invisible woman

Quote:
Maybe I didn't mean it to sound that way, but when you come to it, who gives us life? (If you believe in the god) GOD? And who is the only person who can take our life, our existance from this world away? God. I'm not saying to tell a six year old that "its god's fault," obviously the child is too young to understand. And I would never do that. Only god knows why he does the things he does, yes I do believe that.

Quote:
I never said GOD doesn't "feel" or that he doesn't know our pain, of course he does. That goes without saying. I know he knows that we hurt, that we suffer. And why do we suffer? Is it a test from god? I don't know. I don't know why people die and why the living are left to suffer.
Quote:
There are no easy answers. At least I don't ahve them.
I don't have them either. I can only go by what I know and chose to believe.

Quote:
I know this: Life is NOT fair. Innocent people die. It is a fact.
And we are left to do what we like with these facts. Be it that we do a good thing, or a bad thing.

Peace.
I understand what your saying.. and the facts all ....Yes life is not fair, but who said it had to be? I constantly ask myself why we were put on this earth to suffer like this? I dunno. And I will never know the answer. People constantly die, and it may not be fair but its part of life. I dunno, if I'm making any sense, just saying what I feel. To me there is no, right or wrong answer to the question of "Is death bad?"

------------------
~*Dream Out loud*~

(.(*. .*).)
.. *Monica* ..
(.(.* *.).)

[This message has been edited by SweetOnU2 (edited 08-14-2001).]
Old 08-15-2001, 01:40 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:30 AM
The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning - Ecclesiastes 7:4

Well you know what? I'm sick of thinking about death. I do it 24/7 and I'm not sure if it's making me wiser or not.

Just today, I discovered from a friend how EXACTLY my childhood friend had died. The details I heard just broke my heart and right now I am feeling very heartbroken. Here's a poem I had written way back when I first heard the news.

_Joshua_

Not long before, 'twas in fine fettle
But now as fierce flames lick the metal
The wreck is wreathed in tongues of fire.

I cringe at how fast it had sped
How it always plays in my head
A horrid metallic funeral pyre.

Fiendish fire Burning friend
No one wants to comprehend
How such small follies turn so dire.
I close my eyes and say a prayer.

foray
Old 08-15-2001, 01:48 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:30 AM
I want you to know this, too. That even though I have had many friends die on me, I still believe that death is not a bad thing. It is as natural as the birth of a baby. Our lives have to end anyway, why 'blame' God for that? He gets blamed for everything. I remember when my grandmother died, how I was thinking it was a very beautiful thing to happen, and I was 15 years old then.

foray