Iraq: regrets, i've had a few ... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 03-21-2006, 04:50 PM   #16
Local Time: 10:13 AM
I was generally against the war before it started but conditionally supported our government when it started on the basis that it must have had information that it could not make public.

But the issues of poor intelligence really made me think, particularly with the shithole that we've left behind and our neglect.

They've had my trust once and abused it. I don't think I can trust them again, regardless of whether it's for the right cause or not.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:51 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 06:43 AM
Following 9/11, George Bush was quoted as saying, "Go massive," and "Sweep it all up." Words like these pushed the War on Terrorism, and the pre-emptive military action we've seen in Iraq.

Three years later, he's letting the Iraqis do the sweeping, and not much has changed.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:37 PM   #18
love, blood, life
Local Time: 05:13 AM
Here was one of the MAJOR Players who supported the Iraq War....

Ken Pollack....

It is a LONG read, but worth it.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:40 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 04:13 AM
I had a lot of misgivings about the war from the beginning because I wasn't convinced we had justification for a pre-emptive strike.

Then I found out there really weren't any WMD. That's when I went from merely having misgivings to being really pissed. And the more time that has passed and the more things that have come out, like the Downing Street memo, the more pissed I became.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:54 PM   #20
Local Time: 09:13 AM
Apparently it doesn't really matter what anybody thinks or how much it costs.,,1736471,00.html

US troops in Iraq for another three years

Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington
Wednesday March 22, 2006
The Guardian

George Bush yesterday raised the vision of an American troop presence in Iraq that would extend for the next three years, an admission that a US withdrawal was unlikely during his term in the White House.

With US forces entering their fourth year in the country since the invasion, Mr Bush's comments suggest he foresees a longer military commitment in Iraq than that experienced by troops in the second world war or the Korean war.

Asked at a White House press conference whether he could foresee a complete withdrawal from Iraq, Mr Bush held out little hope. "That will be decided by future presidents and future governments of Iraq", Mr Bush told reporters.

He added later: "I'm optimistic we'll succeed. If not, I'd pull our troops out."

The prospect that US troops could remain in Iraq into 2009 is unlikely to help Mr Bush's efforts to reassure an increasingly doubtful domestic audience that America is making progress in Iraq.

With US casualties in Iraq reaching 2,320 dead, public confidence in the president's ability to bring the war to a successful outcome hovers just above 30%, as does his approval rating. Mr Bush is rapidly losing credibility on Iraq - not least among his fellow Republicans who are increasingly nervous about November's mid-term elections.

At a time when 80% of Americans fear the outbreak of civil war in Iraq, Mr Bush insisted yesterday that the wave of sectarian killings over the last month were not as dire as they appeared. "We all recognise that there is violence, that there is sectarian violence. But the way I look at the situation is that the Iraqis took a look and decided not to go to civil war."

The US army handler of a dog seen snarling at Iraqi prisoners in photographs from Abu Ghraib was convicted of mistreatment and assault yesterday. Sergeant Michael Smith, 24, awaits sentence for using his dog to terrify inmates.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
so Mr. Bush is going to hand over to the next president, Republican or Democrat, a Civil War in Iraq and a debt so huge that the only choice left will be to raise taxes.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:00 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Originally posted by Irvine511
so Mr. Bush is going to hand over to the next president, Republican or Democrat, a Civil War in Iraq and a debt so huge that the only choice left will be to raise taxes.

YEAH but look at the falling oil and gas prices that we were going to reap from selling Iraqi Oil!!!