Iowa Caucuses Results - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2004, 07:45 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Big Grin Iowa Caucuses Results

Well, today we shall know a little more about the coming weeks.

Any predictions before tonight? Will we know the results before we go to bed? Hehe? Will Dr. Dean hold on? Can Mr. Edwards pull of one of the major come from behind upsets to put his name on the political map?

Old 01-19-2004, 07:56 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

One more reason Mr. Dean should be keeping his mouth closed....He definitely reminds me more and more of the picture someof you paint of GW lying all of the time, except he gets caught

[Q]Pressed in recent interviews about why he would leave Iowa at crunch time, Dean said he could not turn down an invitation to appear with a former president he admires. But when a visitor to the Maranatha church -- thousands come from out of town annually to hear Carter's Sunday-morning homilies -- thanked Carter for inviting Dean, Carter quickly interjected "I did not invite him," before adding "I'm glad he came."

"He called me on the phone and said he'd like to worship with me," Carter explained to reporters before the church service began. [/Q]
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Jan18.html

Talk about trying to make it look like Carter was giving you some kind of a nod. Man I hope this makes some of the papers in Iowa today!

[Q]Dr. Dean said last week that he was skipping 20 of the last 48 hours in the Iowa campaign because "when the former president of the United States asks you to go to church with him on the Sunday before caucuses, I think you probably take that up." But Mr. Carter said today that the visit had actually been Dr. Dean's idea and that he hoped all the Democratic candidates would make the pilgrimage to Plains "to kind of heal wounds and show that we can all worship together."

"I didn't invite him," the former president, wearing a bolo tie, told reporters and parishioners as he entered the church this morning. "He called me on the phone and said he'd like to come worship with me."[/Q]
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/18/po...ns/19DEAN.html

Go Edwards......I love the underdog!!!!! Shake up the system

Old 01-19-2004, 08:09 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

This mornings Zogby Poll has Kerry at 25%, Dean at 22%, and Edwards at 21%. Edwards is surging in at 21%, Gephardt at 18%

[Q]"Pollster John Zogby: "The story here is that Kerry had a huge day (29%) on Sunday alone. He carries his lead into the caucuses. He will probably be on top in Monday's entrance poll. Edwards finished strong and Dean bounced back. Only Gephardt seems to have faded on this last day.

"Kerry dominates in the western part of the state, among Independents, and among voters with at least a college degree. Dean holds a strong lead with younger voters. Edwards is well ahead in the central part of the state, but trails a bit in the west and east. Gephardt has slipped to a tie with older voters and high school educated. The lowest income voters are still with him.

"The race is very close among union voters and liberals. All four candidates have the same amount of very strong supporters.

"A reminder to all Iowa observers: this is a caucus not a primary. The rules of engagement and the commitment of time are far different. Iowans who show up take this responsibility very seriously and they understand that this is a dynamic process that occurs after discussion, debating, a little horse-trading, and some consensus- building. After all, they are neighbors. Thus, anything can happen. There are no predictions here.

"There are limits to pre-caucus polls. But can anyone doubt that this race has tightened among four serious challengers? The tracking poll has captured statistically what conventional wisdom has observed. If Dean's minions of young volunteers do their job, he can indeed win this process. If Gephardt's legendary and tested labor machine can bring out its supporters, then he will have done it again in Iowa. If voters respond to a 'refreshing' new face or "the experienced Senator' who have surged in later days, then either Edwards or Kerry will rule the evening's events.

"Will Dean's photo op with former President Carter persuade doubters? Will Gephardt's appeal on trade and health care turn the debates? Will Kerry's experience, war heroism, and late surge be enough? Will Edwards' avoidance of negatives be the right formula?

"Or, all four can emerge with bragging rights. The polls can only take us up to the moment the caucuses begin. That even includes the entrance polls. But one thing is certain: the campaign for the Democratic nomination is already exciting and unpredictable."[/Q]
Old 01-19-2004, 08:13 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:12 AM
I just hope the Democrats get a better candidate than Al Gore this year.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:05 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I hope Edwards wins. The more I see him on CSpan, etc, the more I like him. You can find out more about him on his site

www.johnedwards2004.com

I read that President Carter's son said they offered Dean several dates to attend service w/ them, he picked the one right before the caucus

No one gets anything past President Carter, and imo he won't lie for anyone either.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:03 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

I hope that Clark gets the overall nomination.

Melon
Old 01-19-2004, 10:09 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:12 AM
I hope it's November soon so we can leave behind all this stuff.

Plus, we probably have a new U2 album by then.

Marty
Old 01-19-2004, 10:35 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Kerry is doing quite well here. Interesting.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:31 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]01/18/04) U.S. Sen. John Edwards placed second in a new poll of likely Iowa caucus-goers commissioned by The Des Moines Register.

The poll, published in Sunday's editions, showed U.S. Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts with the support of 26 percent, followed by Edwards of North Carolina with 23 percent.

Former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean had 20 percent, and U.S. Rep. Richard Gephardt of Missouri had 18 percent.

None of the other candidates registered above 3 percent, while 5 percent remain undecided.

The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.
[/Q]

Edwards is the ONE candidate in IOWA who did not go NEGATIVE. he stayed completely on message. His rise has been one of the most incredible things I have witnessed in Politics. He is now on my radar screen and maybe he should be on yours as well. I do not know if this can translate into anything under a Caucus system of voting, but wow, talk about out of nowhere.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:25 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
[Q]01/18/04) U.S. Sen. John Edwards placed second in a new poll of likely Iowa caucus-goers commissioned by The Des Moines Register.

The poll, published in Sunday's editions, showed U.S. Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts with the support of 26 percent, followed by Edwards of North Carolina with 23 percent.

Former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean had 20 percent, and U.S. Rep. Richard Gephardt of Missouri had 18 percent.

None of the other candidates registered above 3 percent, while 5 percent remain undecided.

The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.
[/Q]

Edwards is the ONE candidate in IOWA who did not go NEGATIVE. he stayed completely on message. His rise has been one of the most incredible things I have witnessed in Politics. He is now on my radar screen and maybe he should be on yours as well. I do not know if this can translate into anything under a Caucus system of voting, but wow, talk about out of nowhere.
In 1976 another obscure Southern politician broke through in the primaries--Jimmy Carter. Some may not like the comparison, but it does show you don't have to be a "big name" to win the whole thing. Sure, things have changed. But geography might repeat itself as well as history. Who'd have thunk it? I am going to turn on the news to check this development. Will it be Upset City??
Old 01-19-2004, 02:36 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

The interesting thing is that under the Caucus system, delegates can be freed up...ie Kuchinick can free his delegates to go with say dean or Gephardt. They are not likely to go with Kerry or Edwards.

The theory is that Dean would be the most likey to benefit because of his anti-war stance and Gephardt because of his anti-Nafta stance.

Thus, the Caucus system really can be one in which a candidate is made KING by one of the lesser candidates.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:54 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Edwards and Kucinick struck a deal to support each other depending on the situation precinct by precinct.http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...ich/index.html
Old 01-19-2004, 06:18 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I would say Kerry is going to win it, but if other candidates can give other candidates their votes then I doubt he will be on top.

Popmartijn,

According to Italian and French sections of Universal, the album is coming out in May. May 24/25 most likely.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:42 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I am very happy to see that other Interlanders like John Edwards as well. He is my choice. I like his positive message, and the fact that he seems to understand the concerns of working-class America.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:58 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Diane L
I am very happy to see that other Interlanders like John Edwards as well. He is my choice. I like his positive message, and the fact that he seems to understand the concerns of working-class America.
He's an appealing candidate and he can run really well in the South. No one can win an election without winning some of the Southern states.