Ingesting one's placenta, acceptable or not? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Is this acceptable?
Yes, I'm a woman who is a mom and think it is 6 11.32%
Yes, I'm a woman with no kids and think it is 17 32.08%
No, I'm a woman with kids and say no. 2 3.77%
No, I'm a woman with no kids 7 13.21%
I'm male and say no. 9 16.98%
I'm male and say yes, and let them have cake too. 12 22.64%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
This gentleman sums up my views quite well:

The idea that eating a placenta is just practical and not an act of cannibalism is something I have some difficulty with. I suppose the notion is that it is of no further use to the mother or child after the birth so it may as well be put to good use. Well, supposing that a group of people lost in a remote part of the world suffer an attack from a crocodile who bites off someone's leg but is repelled before being able to devour it. The leg is of no further use to the unfortunate wretch who has lost it so why not eat it? What then if the victim takes a turn for the worst and dies from his injuries. His body is of no further use. Why not eat it? At least the man died of his injuries and was not killed for food. Which is worse killing an animal for food or eating meat from an animal (or human) who has died from some other cause.

http://perilouspierre.blogspot.com/2...fterbirth.html
a-ha. He steps up to the plate. . .

Granted with somebody else's argument, but. . .but. . .that's okay. It's legit. . .So now perhaps we can actually discuss this.

Clearly people in desperate straights might eat the flesh of someone's severed leg or even that of an unlucky companion that died, but that's a different situation. Definite harm or death to the person whose flesh is in question, and certainly the person is not eating his own flesh. This is not the case with placenta consumption.

Wouldn't booger-eating be more analogous?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:01 PM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:43 PM
And ever hear of Andrea Yates?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:02 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

Granted with somebody else's argument, but. . .but. . .that's okay. It's legit. . .So now perhaps we can actually discuss this.
What argument?

The guy supposes something ridiculous (that women are eating placentas because they may as well "put it to good use") which has absolutely nothing to do with the initial article at all. It's not as if the woman gave birth and thought she'd like to have a snack.

It's nothing more than a straw man argument.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:06 PM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

What argument?

The guy supposes something ridiculous (that women are eating placentas because they may as well "put it to good use") which has absolutely nothing to do with the initial article at all. It's not as if the woman gave birth and thought she'd like to have a snack.

It's nothing more than a straw man argument.
But it's better than "No."

The thing about straw man arguments is they are easy to bat down. . .Obviously he'll have to come up with something better.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:27 PM   #110
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Women do not get depressed around me, and boys only get angry.

angry because we can't ever have your rugged heterosexuality all to ourselves?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #111
Blue Crack Supplier

oh, as for the topic, i think eating a placenta is right up there with eating shit, at least as gross-out goes. but shit will make you sick, and it seems as if this might have some health benefits (whether psychosomatic or not), and it's a part of a woman's body, and so i don't give a fuck what she does with it.

and i'm free to think it's nasty and get neauseated at even the photo of a placenta. and she's free to eat the damn thing if she chooses.

and that's all i have to say about that.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:46 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
oh, as for the topic, i think eating a placenta is right up there with eating shit, at least as gross-out goes. but shit will make you sick, and it seems as if this might have some health benefits (whether psychosomatic or not), and it's a part of a woman's body, and so i don't give a fuck what she does with it.

and i'm free to think it's nasty and get neauseated at even the photo of a placenta. and she's free to eat the damn thing if she chooses.

and that's all i have to say about that.
Keep in mind she's not having it on rye with mustard, but in capsule form which isn't all that gross, although I supposed the process of handling it and making the capsules is pretty gross. But without going back and reading the article and risking glimpsing that lovely photo again, I thought that there is someplace that actually makes the placenta into capsules so she doesn't even handle it herself. Not even that gross, really. I guess after you've carried the child for 9 months and gone through childbirth, placenta capsules is no big deal. Probably not as bad as changing diapers.

But yeah, you're right--she can do what she wants and we can think it's gross if we want.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #113
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
No.

dbs
Old 07-20-2007, 08:25 PM   #114
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
This gentleman sums up my views quite well:

The idea that eating a placenta is just practical and not an act of cannibalism is something I have some difficulty with. I suppose the notion is that it is of no further use to the mother or child after the birth so it may as well be put to good use. Well, supposing that a group of people lost in a remote part of the world suffer an attack from a crocodile who bites off someone's leg but is repelled before being able to devour it. The leg is of no further use to the unfortunate wretch who has lost it so why not eat it? What then if the victim takes a turn for the worst and dies from his injuries. His body is of no further use. Why not eat it? At least the man died of his injuries and was not killed for food. Which is worse killing an animal for food or eating meat from an animal (or human) who has died from some other cause.

http://perilouspierre.blogspot.com/2...fterbirth.html
Which has what to do with the placenta? The motivations here are completely different.

Then again, I suppose with the black and white outlook, that's what you get.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #115
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I came here to present something and get viewpoints and acknowledged that we can agree to disagree.

This isn't a debate fourm, although some claim it to be, they are mistaken and this is what drives a lot of members away.

Here's how the template of FYM reads:

This is an off-topic forum. Discuss politics, spirituality, religion, world events.

good day,

dbs

This is a debate forum. It does make sense though that you disagree, because you rarely debate anyway.

However, you're probably the only one who posts wanting to "acknowledge that we can agree to disagree." This is supposed to be for discussion, as that said. Debate naturally is a part of discussion. It's not seperate from discussion, it's a type of discussion.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:39 PM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:43 AM
I think I'm going to have nightmares after opening this thread.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:19 AM   #117
ONE
love, blood, life

What I do find interesting is the women who have had children, only 3 think this is acceptable in the poll.

Yes, I'm a woman who is a mom and think it is (3) 8.82%

dbs
Old 07-21-2007, 01:21 AM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
What I do find interesting is the women who have had children, only 3 think this is acceptable in the poll.

Yes, I'm a woman who is a mom and think it is (3) 8.82%

dbs

but of women who have kids NONE think it's unacceptable. That doesn't tell you something?

just....oh, nevermind.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:27 AM   #119
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:43 PM
Remember, Republicans will twist numbers to fit their needs anyway they can...
Old 07-21-2007, 01:28 AM   #120
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
out of 3...

That's 100%...

Are you for real?