Importing Racism? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2006, 11:02 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:02 AM
Importing Racism?

I heard about this study on the news this moring.

Study: Latinos bring view of blacks

Quote:
DURHAM -- Latino immigrants bring negative attitudes toward blacks with them from their home countries rather than develop them after they arrive here, a team including four Duke and two UNC researchers say.

The study, which will appear in the August issue of the Journal of Politics analyzed survey data drawn from Durham residents in 2003.

Latinos also more often identified with whites than blacks, although whites were less likely to see themselves as having much in common with Latinos.

The survey asked 500 residents nearly equally divided among the three groups. The researchers chose Durham because of its nearly 500 percent increase in Latino population between 1990 and 2000, and because its black population spans socioeconomic levels.

"What surprised us most was the high level of negative stereotypes on the part of Latino immigrants," said Paula McClain, a professor of political science at Duke University and the study's lead author. "We were also, I guess, pleasantly surprised at the low level of stereotypes of blacks held by whites in Durham. Less than 10 percent of our sample of whites held negative stereotypes of blacks. And that blacks were more tolerant of Latino immigrants than Latino immigrants were of blacks."
According to the study, the views are not adopted from the local population, but brought in by new residents.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Local Time: 11:02 AM

Well... as a "Latina" I don't identify myself with those kind of attitudes. My bf and some members of my family are black (we're all like a rainbow ) so I don't understand where the prejudice comes from, and I admit that it is really sad to read this kind of things, whether if they are truth or not.

I don't know.. It feels like we are talking about an "outsider" attitude... And, according to the article it seems more the expression of a problem of class more than racisms itself. I'm going to think about this a little more

Old 07-12-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:02 AM
Re: Importing Racism?

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

According to the study, the views are not adopted from the local population, but brought in by new residents.
This doesn't really say much. It only backs the idea that we learn it at a young age and that if we're exposed to it when we're older and more educated we're less likely to adopt those ideas.

Nothing new to me.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
you are what you is

Local Time: 05:02 PM
so basically Latino's are as likely to be racists as white people

maybe humanity can bond some day because of equal amounts of racist behaviour!
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-12-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

One of the problems of racism is the clinging to old beliefs about people and their behavior. It is unfortunate that a study would be ignored by those wanting to cling to their old stereotypes, as that in and of itself is racisms. Retorts like “Latinos are as racist as white people” shows an uninformed attitude towards both groups.

The study really shatters the long standing view and perhaps convenient views of race relations.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
One of the problems of racism is the clinging to old beliefs about people and their behavior. It is unfortunate that a study would be ignored by those wanting to cling to their old stereotypes, as that in and of itself is racisms. Retorts like “Latinos are as racist as white people” shows an uninformed attitude towards both groups.

The study really shatters the long standing view and perhaps convenient views of race relations.
Can you elaborate? What exactly are we ignoring in here?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

^ yes, i am puzzled by NBC's post as well.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:32 PM   #8
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
hmm... maybe my opinion isn't important here... but the most disturbing phrase for me is this one

Quote:
Latino immigrants bring negative attitudes toward blacks with them from their home countries
because that's not what I live in my own country, and althought there's always a few rotten apples I don't feel that there's a negative attitude against black people, I don't know about other countries.

so I don't know how deep is this study and if it is rushing to get some conclusions... maybe the article is racist by itself , nobody is fully unbiased and reinforcing all those labels and stereotypes is not very smart in my opinion.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:02 PM
The blacks and Latinos that I know get on with each other great. If there's racism in the Latin community, let us admit that that's par for the course. Like Muggsy said, always some bad apples.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:20 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Can you elaborate? What exactly are we ignoring in here?
You haven't said anything here. I can't tell what you got or what you missed from the study.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:38 AM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You haven't said anything here. I can't tell what you got or what you missed from the study.
Did you miss my post? Or are you saying that my observation isn't saying anything?
Old 07-13-2006, 04:17 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:02 PM
Where I live there are a ton of Hispanics and I can say for sure that alot don't like blacks too well.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

[q]The study really shatters the long standing view and perhaps convenient views of race relations. [/q]

i don't understand what you're saying here -- what conclusion are you drawing?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:22 AM   #14
you are what you is

Local Time: 05:02 PM
Quote:
Retorts like “Latinos are as racist as white people” shows an uninformed attitude towards both groups.
I definitely am uninformed on this topic
but I wouldn't be surprised if deep down all human beings are basically the same
this especially shows when they're all in a comparable position
Old 07-13-2006, 11:36 AM   #15
Refugee