"I could care less"....??? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2005, 07:36 PM   #16
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I'd probably be chased out of FYM if I dared to let loose with my opinion on US English. I'm with you on the 'not good' front. I've had a couple of vicious flamewars elsewhere in the past and I honestly don't feel like one again.

But if you or anyone want to bash it privately, I won't hold back then!

I'm trying very hard to come to terms with it. Alin, my teacher, tried by reminding me that they are entitled to speak and write however they choose, and as much as I disagree with that as it was not theirs to alter, it's a kind of impasse. So far I have got as far as accepting it within the confines of America, but I never will accept it here.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:39 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:49 AM
It does happen here though. Programme in reference to a computer programme is spelt "program" ie the USA way. Probably because the USA dominates the computer software industry.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:45 PM   #18
Jesus Online

Sometimes when I work at the asphalt plant, I use a woman's desk which is adorned with drawings and messages from her kids. Quite lovely. Except...Her daughter has a few up " I Love You Mom!" and so on. It gives me chest pains.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:47 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Thats a bit peculiar

My daughter has started saying "class" as in ass, not arse.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:47 PM   #20
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by beli
There is a cheese ad on the side of the bus here that is written in Kiwi English which I find a little odd.

There are differences in Australian accents, and in the choice of words.

"Avon" is a good word for hearing the difference, as well as "Albany".

Theres Aaaavon in Sydney, and Avvvvvven in Perth. (Accents exaggerated for demonstration purposes). The Perth accent is faster than Sydneys and Brissies. And the rural WA accent is faster again. (well, from some parts anyway)
I've noticed a general difference between people from the Outback and those on the eastern seaboard. I don't suppose I've actually met many people from Perth, but all the eastern states sound as if they have the same accent to me.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-30-2005, 07:49 PM   #21
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

I'm trying very hard to come to terms with it. Alin, my teacher, tried by reminding me that they are entitled to speak and write however they choose, and as much as I disagree with that as it was not theirs to alter, it's a kind of impasse. So far I have got as far as accepting it within the confines of America, but I never will accept it here.
I haven't even come to terms with it then. I don't view it as a dialect; just bad spelling. I grew up as the spelling nerd of the school, and if anyone dared to write something like 'harbor' around me ... at least now I can make jokes about 'u' being rejected.

Oh, and 'zee'? I hate that. If I ever heard someone call NZ - that's En ZED, folks - 'En Zee', I'd ... not be impressed, to say the least.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-30-2005, 07:51 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I've noticed a general difference between people from the Outback and those on the eastern seaboard. I don't suppose I've actually met many people from Perth, but all the eastern states sound as if they have the same accent to me.
Sydney people sound more nasally than Melbournites.

:hiding:
Old 04-30-2005, 07:52 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
"Mangled grammar" is part of the slow evolution of language. That's probably why, over the centuries, "Old English" and current English are completely different from each other.

I have to wonder if English 1000 years from now will be vastly different or not.

Melon
Checkout Firefly, you have the Anglo-Sino alliance and that is reflected in the langauge and the clothing, peppering the speech with bits of Chinese and neologisms such as corpsified.

It will be on the big screen in September so check out Serenity!

www.serenitymovie.com
Old 04-30-2005, 07:52 PM   #24
Jesus Online

Oh God, dont get me started on Z. It's bad enough it replaces S so often, but at least fucking pronounce it correctly!!

Ok, I'm getting annoyed lol...
Old 04-30-2005, 07:53 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I was brought up in Sydney until I was 8 and then moved to Melbourne, going from saying Swimmers to Bathers was weird
Old 04-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #26
Vocal parasite

Quote:

All of you Aussies sound nasally.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-30-2005, 07:55 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

lol

I grew up in NSW, then Queensland, then WA so I went from swimmers to togs to bathers.

And don't forget case to port to bag lol
Old 04-30-2005, 07:56 PM   #28
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I was brought up in Sydney until I was 8 and then moved to Melbourne, going from saying Swimmers to Bathers was weird
They're togs I tell you, togs!

Though from living in Queensland for 7.5 years, I've gotten used to calling them swimmers.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-30-2005, 07:58 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

I must confess that the internet and Microsoft Word have forced me at times to screw around with my spelling especially with Z, although I do say 'zed' and not 'zee' and my elocution is very good.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:58 PM   #30
Jesus Online

wink

Quote:

All of you Aussies sound nasally.
It's totally choice eh bro