How Big Of A Bounce? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2004, 02:01 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Ratings for the convention were down from the Gore acceptance speech in 2000.
This doesn't surprise me since more people have decided who they are voting for in November.

Old 07-30-2004, 05:58 PM   #17
War Child

I imagine both candidates will get a 'bounce' from their respective conventions, and that things will remain neck and neck until the debates. That's when I think Kerry will trounce Bush, who's record and debate skills are both less than stellar.

Old 07-30-2004, 06:19 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
I imagine both candidates will get a 'bounce' from their respective conventions, and that things will remain neck and neck until the debates. That's when I think Kerry will trounce Bush, who's record and debate skills are both less than stellar.
This is possible given that there will probably still be undecided voters. I understand that this election is different from 2000, but at one point Al Gore had an eleven-point lead in the polls and look what happened. The debates nuked him.

*edited because I can't type*
Old 07-30-2004, 06:23 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
That's when I think Kerry will trounce Bush, who's record and debate skills are both less than stellar.
I remember similar naive optimism about Gore in the debates....
Old 07-30-2004, 06:49 PM   #20
War Child

Naive optimism? I thought it was an honest opinion, silly me. Kerry is a great closer, and I DO think he'll do well in the debates. Call me naive if you want to, NBC. I don't think optimism is a bad thing.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:10 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 06:13 AM
Perhaps the Gore team misunderestimated Bush in the debates. I don't think it will happen again. I believe Kerry will have worked harder to embetter himself for these debates.

Also, the Zogby polls say the bounce is pretty good.

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=849
Old 07-30-2004, 07:34 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I am shocked at the numbers in the Catholic community, of which I'm a member. Awhile back it was claimed in some publication, I don't know which one, that Bush was leading among Catholic voters. It's an absolutely lopsided count in Kerry's favor these days, 52%-37%. The poll states that the wedge issues like gay marriage and abortion have sort of blown up in Bush's face. Holy !!!
Old 07-30-2004, 08:00 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatGuy
Perhaps the Gore team misunderestimated Bush in the debates. I don't think it will happen again. I believe Kerry will have worked harder to embetter himself for these debates.

Also, the Zogby polls say the bounce is pretty good.

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=849
According to the Zogby poll taken the past 4 days, Kerry leads Bush 48% to 43%. A few weeks ago that same poll had Kerry at 48% and Bush at 46%. I guess you could say Kerry got a bounce in that he is now 5 points ahead instead of 2 points. In that since it would be a 3 point bounce which is nothing.

I think wait for the polls that will be done this weekend and show up on Monday. If on Monday we see Kerry ahead by say 53% to 40%, the election is over and Kerry will be President. But if Kerry is only ahead by say 48% to 44%, then I say Bush has will have it locked up. Where it gets tricky is when Kerry is ahead by 8 or 9 points, indeed a bounce, but will it be enough to last him to November?

The Republicans will get their convention at the end of the Month, and if Kerry only gets a small or no bounce from this convention then Bush will be idealy positioned to take a firm lead in September.

As far as the debates go, remember that George Bush did just fine in his debates with John McCain. John Kerry is not on the level of John McCain either in that area. While Bush is not a great speaker, the Kerry campaign would be foolish to think that the debates could win it for them based on what we know from 2000.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:00 PM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I remember similar naive optimism about Gore in the debates....

Gore's problem was that his strategy was to keep his mouth shut and hope the the American people were perceptive enough to get that Bush wasn't exactly the brightest crayon in the box. Obviously, it didn't work because Bush didn't slip up. However, I think that if Bush goes up against someone who is willing and ready to have a gritty debate, he will be shredded to pieces.

The only debates I'm worried about are the Edwards/Chenney debates. Chenney does indeed have more experience than Edwards, but I Chenney's weakness will be in his inability to keep cool.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:08 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by kariatari

The only debates I'm worried about are the Edwards/Chenney debates. Chenney does indeed have more experience than Edwards, but I Chenney's weakness will be in his inability to keep cool.

I'm not worried (right now) because what Edwards lacks in experience he makes up for in charm. Tell me the last time you heard "charm" and "Cheney" in the same sentence.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:24 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:13 AM
wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
the next democratic leader who accuses bush of using 9/11 for votes after that desplay at the convention should be muzzled for a month.
desplay? I think I may be misunderetimating Headaches's ability to embetter his spelling and grammar during the Bush term.

OK...I am going to go "muzzle" myself now.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:02 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by kariatari

Gore's problem was that his strategy was to keep his mouth shut and hope the the American people were perceptive enough to get that Bush wasn't exactly the brightest crayon in the box. Obviously, it didn't work because Bush didn't slip up. However, I think that if Bush goes up against someone who is willing and ready to have a gritty debate, he will be shredded to pieces.

George Bush went up against John McCain in 2000 and held is own and was definitely not shredded to pieces.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:28 AM   #28
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
Tell me the last time you heard "charm" and "Cheney" in the same sentence.

Old 07-31-2004, 06:51 AM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 10:13 AM
On congress.org, people can pledge their vote and later change it. While I'm not sure how accurate it is, it is really neat to check out the map and see how many people from each state pledged.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/
Old 07-31-2004, 10:44 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Zogby also reports that there are far fewer undecided voters this year than there were in 2000. More people are tuned into the election than they were at this point in 2000, and more people have made up their minds. This will no doubt affect the post convention bounces for both conventions. We're not going to see the fifteen point bounce that Bill Clinton got in 1992.