Have you ever wondered what the hell I'm going to with my life? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2002, 11:17 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 02:55 AM
Have you ever wondered what the hell I'm going to with my life?

I about to graduate from college and have goals, but none of them are easy. I wish that I could plan my whole life ahead of time so I wouldn't have to worry about the uncertainies of the future. I wish I had more time to plan for the future, and to build for the future.

Does anyone out there understand what I'm going through? I'm a total wreck and it's making me have a nervous breakdown!

HELP!!!!!!

Old 01-23-2002, 11:30 PM   #2
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Local Time: 07:55 AM
Grad School. MBA.. It can't hurt in anything you do.. and there's lots of 1 year programs out there...

But I also hear that Alan Alda in the market for a new masseuse... ya kno.. one of those oriental types.

L. Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 01-23-2002).]

Old 01-23-2002, 11:33 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Danospano:
I about to graduate from college and have goals, but none of them are easy.
HELP!!!!!!

What college helped create that sentence?

CK
Old 01-24-2002, 01:42 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:55 PM
Talk to your guidance counsellor!
Old 01-24-2002, 06:24 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:55 PM
Dano I got out of uni 3 years ago and im still in the very position youre in now.
I know what you're going through and yes it sucks.
Seek help or end up nuts like me.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:16 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

*raises hand*

I'm there! It sucks. Talk about being "stuck in a moment that you can't get out of..."

-sula
Old 01-24-2002, 11:26 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Danospano:
I wish that I could plan my whole life ahead of time
that wouldn't in any way be a good life.
it wouldn't even be a life really.
you're not a sim, dammit. i understand what you're going through cause i'm starting to feel it as i near the end of my (1st) degree with grad school ahead, but uncertainty is part of the excitement of life.

------------------
silver
shiny

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 01-24-2002).]
Old 01-24-2002, 11:28 AM   #8
Refugee

Urrggghhhh! Life is short. Life is shit and soon it will be over.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:29 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:55 AM
You don't have to have it all figured out right now. I remember how stressful that period was for me (a long time ago) but I just chilled out, took some odd jobs, traveled a bit, and enjoyed the freedom of being out of the educational system at last for a couple of years. Things kind of fell into place after that. Everyone goes through what you're feeling in varying degrees, so try not to worry too much or be too hard on yourself. It'll work out.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:18 PM   #10
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 03:55 AM
Yes, I'm a college senior and I'm constantly stressed over this. Blah.

------------------
You will believe in me
And I can never be ignored
Old 01-24-2002, 12:37 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm there right now. Graduated a month ago. I feel like I'm living in hell...*sigh*

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time
Old 01-24-2002, 04:30 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Well, I don't have any enlightening advice, just some commiseration.

I'm 25 and have already accomplished every goal I've ever set for myself. I've got two degrees and my dream job, I've seen U2 live, and I have no idea what to do with the rest of my life, however long it may be.

I'm thinking that things just have a way of working themselves out. So I look forward to the adventure of tomorrow and keep going, trying to enjoy myself along the way.

And if you really think you're going crazy, therapy can be a big relief. It can even be fun.

Good luck.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart
Old 01-24-2002, 06:23 PM   #13
Refugee

To be honest, confessing my insecurities to a bunch of U2 fans was the best therapy. I already feel much better and I think I won't be worrying as much about the future. I've already accomplished a lot in my life, so I know I can accomplish much, much more.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-24-2002, 06:23 PM   #14
Acrobat

Some people are very lucky, they know *exactly* what they want to do with their lives early on. But you'd be surprised when talking with people from all walks of life, that those people are few and far between.

Some people have dreams of being astronauts or great scientists or fantastic writers or philophers or singers or ballerinas: each hope of chasing the dream and ultimately making their mark on society in a good way. But the reality is, we all don't get to grow up to be what we want to be, as life is a journey that takes us through many twists and turns, dips and drops.

For a lot of people including myself when I was younger, the future may seem dreadfully uncertain at time and upon entering the 'real world' after your education is complete, and this can be so frightening. It was constantly pounded in my head that I needed to attain certain goals or I would be a worthless bum with a worthless life. Chock it up to that incessant pounding done by the school board or by my family - but I think it's nearly impossible for someone so young to have their lives mapped out so perfectly because life is full of surprises and uncertainty.

What I found out later on (hindsight is 20/20) is that when I reached adulthood and got out of college, it was expected of me to take a certain path. This prospect, to put it lightly, scared the living crap out of me. I had a small window of time in which I could reach a goal and settle myself into my life's work and continue to succeed until my golden years.

But it didn't work out that way, of course, because my life took a lot of turns for the worse, and a lot of turns for the better. There were times when life was sweet and life was bitter, and looking back I can safely say that my life has been bittersweet so far. I have no regrets, I've lived a full life so far and have experienced so many things I wouldn't have been able to experience had I not taken chances outside o the realm of my supposed impending success.

Sure I have goals, and I have accheived a lot of previous goals - but right now in my life with everything else going on, time really isn't of essence like it was when I was young and twenty because I want to enjoy what life has to offer whether it be a grueling challenge or a night at a concert. I look forward to experiencing what my life has to offer, even the good and the bad. It's just the way life is and when you realize that you'll be much happier. The realization process really does take a long time, but there's that old saying carpe diem. You know, seize the day. It's good to have life goals but it's healthy to enjoy yourself on your way to realizing those goals, you know what I mean?

It's easier said than done, but try not to stress about the life ahead of you. Seize the day and cherish those moments because you don't want to live a life full of regret. Take risks but don't take risks at the expense of others or your well being. You're young, and you should travel and see the world while nothing right now is holding you back. You'll be glad you did. Find something that gives you solace, whether it be religion or a good book or good music. Make more friends, get a 'fun' job and take it easy. You'll find that your life alone isn't neatly planned out like the Sims as kobayashi pointed out, and despite what's been pounded in your head all these years, the uncertainty isn't really a bad thing...
Old 01-24-2002, 06:24 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Then there are the losers like me, who never went to college. And now feel that I am past the point of being able to. Sure I've got a job that I love, and I make ok money, but this job cant last forever. Then what.

I think my prob is I live one day at a time and dont think ahead. But yeah, life is short, soon it wont matter.

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP