Has Hollywood Gone Too Far With DVD Control? - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2006, 08:37 AM   #211
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

I am 39 years old, and I have loved King Kong since I was a little kid. I also hate to hear the use of the Lord's name in vain. Do you understand why I was so excited about a new King Kong movie and why it made me cringe when I hear the Lord's name in vain in that movie? If so, you would understand why I would pay someone to edit it for me.
It's a good arguement for your personal opinions. But do you really think it's a good idea to change copyright law based on people's personal religious beliefs?

Old 07-31-2006, 10:04 AM   #212
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

It's a good arguement for your personal opinions. But do you really think it's a good idea to change copyright law based on people's personal religious beliefs?
I see nothing wrong with anyone anywhere editing a movie to suit his own tastes as long as he/she has bought that copy legally and doesn't sell or give the edited copy away. I also see nothing wrong with that person having a professional edit out the swear words and objectionable content, with or without the studios' permission, as long as the person doesn't sell or give the edited version away.

Copy protection on DVDs upsets me - it takes away Fair Use rights. I understand the need for it; DVD piracy is a big issue. Maybe the DVD industry could implement I-Tunes technology. I-Tunes has discovered a way to protect from piracy while at the same time allowing for fair use rights. I-Tunes allows 7 backup copies of each song you buy. DVDs wouldn't need to allow that many. Allowing 1 backup copy would be sufficient.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:10 AM   #213
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
stinks of the censorship lamp. Detestable.

Ant.
So Anthony,
The people who buy these movies are censoring their own viewing habits. Censorship is being forced on no one. There are more copies of the original unedited version that can be found at any place that sells DVDs, and they are a lot cheaper, because they don't ahve the editing services fee attached. Do you believe that people don't have the right to censor their own movie viewing?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:32 AM   #214
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Copy protection on DVDs upsets me - it takes away Fair Use rights. I
So, let me get this straight, you advocate for people being able to purchase DVDs, edit them to their own tastes, and then re-sell them for profit without permission from the original company?

I don't care about iTunes or backup DVDs or whatever, that's not the issue here. We're talking about whether it's OK for company B to alter and sell company A's product.

What you do with your digital media is your business, I don't care if you're doing things that are technically illegal. Also, there are already companies where you download the movies legally, like a combination of iTunes and NetFlix.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:30 PM   #215
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:03 PM
Quote:

I can't understand what use they would have for that much control - so much that they wouldn't even want me to edit out the bad words so I don't have to hear them when I watch the movie on my own TV set. I don't understand why it matters to them.
But what you're not getting is that what's stopping this third party from doing more? You keep avoiding this question. You are only thinking about your wants in this situation. Your want to watch a movie this way does not entitle you to this. I'd be careful about the judgements you are throwing on "hollywood" when your views come off just as selfish.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:39 PM   #216
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I wasns't making any kind of point with my King Kong story; I was just telling a story.
Oh. Sorry about that.

Quote:

Go back and reread your question and my response. I sure as heck did answer your question. The question you just now asked was not what you asked the first time. You originally asked why people include God's name in vain. I answered that question; I said that they do it to convey emotion.
You answered my first question. The second question was this one:

[quote]So why do you suppose that some writers choose to use those particular words--the Lord's name used in vain--as opposed to other words that communicate the same emotions equally well?/[quote]

Quote:
And we're still back to my point; "it's not necessary.
Perhaps not for you. Perhaps not for me. But could you see how another author might use such words as part of creating a character and feel that removing those words would somehow change the character? I suppose you could argue that they could use obscenities rather than the Lord's name, but for irreligious people to express strong emotion what words would you recommend as alternatives?

Quote:
To me, the biggest disrespect is not shown by editing out the Lord's name in vain. The biggest disrespect is to actually use the Lord's name in vain in the first place.
I agree the disrespect to the Lord is great. I was referring to the disrespect to the artist. I think that matters too.

I understand and respect your desire to not hear God's name misused. I don't like it either. I just don't accept that a company has a right to break the law and alter an artist work just because the product disrespects our Lord. I'm not sure God needs us to defend Him in quite that way.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:04 PM   #217
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:03 AM
Artistic integrity is important to me. If someone comes in and changes part of my picture and has it filled in by another artist, then it's no longer my work. I agree about respect for Our Lord, but Irvine is right, we artists deserve some respect as well. We work hard on our work and it deserves to be respected by our fellow human beings. I don't want to sell a painting only to have it sliced up and someone else's work being marketed as mine. This is illegal and immoral.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:20 PM   #218
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Artistic integrity is important to me. If someone comes in and changes part of my picture and has it filled in by another artist, then it's no longer my work. I agree about respect for Our Lord, but Irvine is right, we artists deserve some respect as well. We work hard on our work and it deserves to be respected by our fellow human beings. I don't want to sell a painting only to have it sliced up and someone else's work being marketed as mine. This is illegal and immoral.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:30 PM   #219
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I don't care about iTunes or backup DVDs or whatever, that's not the issue here. We're talking about whether it's OK for company B to alter and sell company A's product.
This happens all the time. Pimp my ride!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:37 PM   #220
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:03 AM
The fact that it happens doesn't make it right.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:49 PM   #221
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

This happens all the time. Pimp my ride!
With permission.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:49 PM   #222
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:03 PM
Wow! That is pretty heavy handed. A good deal of our commerce is built on the revision or enhancement of items sold by other companies.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:06 PM   #223
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:03 AM
Of course there are thousands of companies that allow modifications to be made on their products, and thousands of companies that exist simply to make modifications. There are also companies that do not allow it at all, and then companies who regulate it closely for various reasons.

The iTrip I have for my iPod is not made by Apple. It is a product that has been given the official Apple thumbs up though, as they are not as yet that interested at all in the accessories market and are thus happy for others to do it, however they want the quality and reputation of the products to be up to Apple standards, so only a few get the formal approval.

The sunroof in my girlfriends car is not made by VW. Car makers generally don't give a f*ck what you do, as the game of 'doing up' your car is part of the appeal of cars to many, it drives more sales and more re-sales and is a valued part of car culture.

A friend has one of those little chips in his Playstation that allows him to play illegaly copied games. Sony says get f*cked and takes stores to court if found to be selling these.

McDonalds will not allow me to open a stand next door to one of their outlets, offering McDonalds burgers with my own modifications for sale.

Universal Studio's will not allow a company to make profit from editing and re-selling their films without permission and approval first.

All are correct.

The point is, the power is with the copyright holder, as it should be. Whether or not you think one particular case is incorrect or not, it doesn't matter, the decision is rightfuly in their hands and everyone else has to wear it.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:29 PM   #224
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Wow! That is pretty heavy handed. A good deal of our commerce is built on the revision or enhancement of items sold by other companies.

if you'd like, i can talk about the extensive contracts that are drawn up between companies and television networks that deal with product placement, after all, that's what a great deal of home improvement/makeover shows are all about -- product placement.

really, programming only exists to fill the time between commercials.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:29 PM   #225
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

With permission.
You don't have to get the automaker's permission to alter your car and then sell it to someone else.