Guess Who's To Blame For Gas Prices??? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2004, 06:06 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Inexpensive, not necessarily fuel efficient cars

Old 08-04-2004, 07:13 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I agree that taxation isn't the answer. Gas may be cheaper here than in europe, but that doesn't change the fact that a sudden jump in prices will be very difficult for poorer people to handle and those out there driving hummers will be annoyed by it, but able to afford it so they aren't likely to change their habits or cars. In many areas of this country you HAVE to drive a long way to get where you need to go. If you don't live in a big city, there probably isn't any public transportation worth shit. I have to drive 35 miles to school (one way) and there isn't a bus that goes there and not everyone can afford to live near their school (or work).

Anyway, how long would it take to built the pipeline in say Alaska? Isn't going to take something like 5-10 years (I could be wrong, but I though I heard that oncc)? I don't think that increasing domestic oil production is really a feasable solution for the "meanwhile" than improving cars is. Think of how much technology can change in 5-10 years, just look at computers, surely we can do the same with cars. We have the technology, it just needs to get out there. Gee I wonder whose interests that goes against....

Old 08-04-2004, 07:35 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 08:49 AM
When will we Americans get the idea of 'bigger is better' out of out heads? The world laughs at our outsized cars, houses, bathtubs, even.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:52 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ILuvLarryMullen
Anyway, how long would it take to built the pipeline in say Alaska? Isn't going to take something like 5-10 years (I could be wrong, but I though I heard that oncc)? I don't think that increasing domestic oil production is really a feasable solution for the "meanwhile" than improving cars is. Think of how much technology can change in 5-10 years, just look at computers, surely we can do the same with cars. We have the technology, it just needs to get out there. Gee I wonder whose interests that goes against....
Re-engineering automobiles and production lines take just as long. Of course, there is no big incentive for auto companies to go any faster. Hybrids, while popular, have not taken over the market.

Opening up additional sources for production alone will have a positive impact on oil prices. Much of the increase in oil prices is a combination of OPEC domination of the market and perceived instability in the region.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:05 PM   #20
Refugee

What I'd really like to see is a Manhattan Project-type of program that treated this issue like the crisis it is. Pump a lot of government money into it, hire all the leading scientists in the field, and come up with workable alternatives to fossil fuel. Hydrogen fuel cells, solar power, wind, vegetable oil, whatever. If we knocked out something as complex as the atomic bomb in a short amount of time, why can't we do it for energy?

[/pie-in-the-sky fantasy]
Old 08-04-2004, 10:22 PM   #21
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:49 AM
Even big cities do not have the best mass transit around. I mean, places like NYC, and DC have a pretty good system, but those places are also walker friendly. Public transportation around where I live is ok, but urban sprawl means that one will probably still have to walk awhile to get to their destination. BUilding an extensive system here would be too expensive considering the amount of destinations there are.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:30 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Re-engineering automobiles and production lines take just as long. Of course, there is no big incentive for auto companies to go any faster. Hybrids, while popular, have not taken over the market.

I know that changing autos takes just as long, my point was if they both take the same amount of time why not do the one that is better for the environment. I don't think that they will see the incentive til the supply of oil is nearly out/cut off/whatever or there is more government regulation/incentives....which is not likely to happen with the amount of campaign contributions coming from the auto and oil industries. Grrr.... it's so annoying
Old 08-05-2004, 04:39 AM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Inexpensive, not necessarily fuel efficient cars
I wonder if they have the same kind of engines as cars in Europe. I mean, Ford, etc. is also a big producer here in Europe and their cars here are fairly fuel efficient, so it's not as if they don't have the technology. Why should the engine be different for US cars?
Old 08-05-2004, 10:59 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

It is not necessarily the availability of technology. Older, cheaper cars tend to be less fuel efficient. Also, when buying a car, people tend to place more emphasis on the purchase price of a car versus the long-term operational cost.