Greatest US President - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock

Plus the Muslims took Jerusalem for no other reason than cultural (some would even say nationalist) and religious expansionism.
And the Christians told their soldiers, "The more people your slaughter, the less guilt you have before God."

It's sad that you don't give me more information that proves that the majority, or at least many people, here in Europe thinks the American intervention in WWII was a bad thing.

I'm just asking because I'm interested, as I never heard that sentiment besides some stupid and ignorant (neo-)nazis.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #107
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:34 PM
Quote:

I guess if you can't tell the difference between historical fact and entertainment bias we don't have anything to discuss. It's not like I'm going to change your mind or I find the changing worthwhile enough to start digging up every minute fact over the course of the last 40 years of human history to do so. Especially when, someday, you'll come to that conclusion yoruself anyway.

wow, a patronizing cop-out.

posting an article from The New Republic is hardly the same as Rush Limbaugh or Jon Stewart, and if you're not going to take the time to fact check a scholarly article printed in the most respected political magazine published in the United States and just dismiss it out of hand because it doesn't agree with whatever you've decided to believe about whatever historical event, then i suppose you're right, there's no point arguing. but you'd do much to further your case if you'd engage in a discussion rather than posting a single sentence of opinion.

someday, you'll understand that.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #108
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

It's sad that you don't give me more information that proves that the majority, or at least many people, here in Europe thinks the American intervention in WWII was a bad thing.

but don't you see? we're much more interested in unsubstantiated opinion than in entertainment journalism.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I guess if you can't tell the difference between historical fact and entertainment bias we don't have anything to discuss. It's not like I'm going to change your mind or I find the changing worthwhile enough to start digging up every minute fact over the course of the last 40 years of human history to do so. Especially when, someday, you'll come to that conclusion yoruself anyway.
This is the most ignorant post I've read in a long time.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #110
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

Agreed... I'm just a casual observer here, but they basically said "No, you're wrong" and then didn't bother to give any kind of facts to back this up, even when they were asked to - politely as well, I thought.

How odd...
Old 02-21-2007, 03:53 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:34 PM
Quote:

And the Christians told their soldiers, "The more people your slaughter, the less guilt you have before God."

Any Christian who said this knows nothing about Christianity. Nowhere is this taught in the New Testament. Jesus took on our guilt at the Cross.

Islam, on the other hand, has all the scripture they need to justify the slaughter of non-believers.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

Any Christian who said this knows nothing about Christianity. Nowhere is this taught in the New Testament. Jesus took on our guilt at the Cross.

Islam, on the other hand, has all the scripture they need to justify the slaughter of non-believers.
But all of a sudden, a new challenger has emerged...

Old 02-21-2007, 04:56 PM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

But all of a sudden, a new challenger has emerged...

No, I already learned my lesson that Islam gets a "free pass" from the liberals. If you're really interested, pick up a Koran. If you don't want to read it, just go and visit the countries dominated by Islam and see if that's what you want.

But I warn you, don't carry a Bible or wear or cross. And definitely don't wear yamaka...
Old 02-21-2007, 05:03 PM   #114
Refugee

Local Time: 06:34 PM
Quote:

I'm just asking because I'm interested, as I never heard that sentiment besides some stupid and ignorant (neo-)nazis.
And the muslims told their soldiers "kill the infidels and you will go to heaven and be waited on by 100 virgins". Is there really a difference?

I'm not saying anyone thought american intervention was a bad thing. I'm saying Americans winning the war, rebuilding Europe and protecting it from the communists is being completely rewritten by Europeans. The common sentiment now is that the USSR are the ones that played the lions share in the role of defeating the Nazis and the Americans did little and then afterword protected a continent that wasn't under threat in order to exert there own neo-colonialism.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #115
Refugee

Local Time: 06:34 PM
Quote:

Ha! how is that ignorant? Irving is well known to me. I respect his beliefs enough to know that whatever I provide him will not change them and just lead to more debate that will change neither's side and declined to put forth the effort.

Becareful what you call ignorance. You may be revealing your own.

Oh, and Irving, come on... A scholarly article? That was unequivocably an editorial.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #116
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Oh, and Irving, come on... A scholarly article? That was unequivocably an editorial.

it was an opinion article written by a scholar, and the part in bold weren't opinions. but, whatever.

you may be right in that the effort isn't worth it.

i'm just having a slow work week for the first time in ... months.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

I didn't mean that.

Actually, it was told the crusaders, the normal folks that participated, at the first or second crusade, that they will, when they enter Byzantium, for every non-believer they kill, ge forgiven one guilt.
Just like later just pay some and your guilt will be forgiven.

It's nothing from the Bible, and I didn't want to state that.

But when we blame the Muslims for their history, we have to blame Christians for their history as well.

But I don't think always digging up mistakes done in the history will get us any further.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #118
Forum Moderator

This thread is veering way off-topic, folks, and with more than a little condescension and gratuitous hyperbole as well. If you really feel the need to rehash the finer points of FYM standoffs over how to regard Islam, try refreshing your memory with perhaps this thread or this one or this one. At any rate, it is out of place here.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-21-2007, 06:43 PM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Agreed. We got carried away.

Back to the topic - I wonder what qualities people in FYM look for in a great leader/president. Honesty, duty, integrity, boldness...etc.

With today's cynical press - can anyone achieve and maintain a high approval rating? (above 60 %)
Old 02-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #120
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
With today's cynical press - can anyone achieve and maintain a high approval rating? (above 60 %)

Clinton did.

despite the blowjobs and all.