Greatest US President

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I voted for Clinton, but unfortunately, his time as president was marred by the whole Lewinsky scandal. I don't know if anyone, but he was impeached because he lied about his interactions with Monica Lewinsky. The funnier thing was that he still remained president after he was "impeached". So all of that "hard work" the Republicans put in to bring him down was for nothing. They didn't call him "Slick Willy" for nothing.

^ Mr.P do you/did you really care about the Monica stuff? Honestly I didn't...if a guy does a good job as President I don't care if he's got a whole conga line of interns servicing him.

That said, if the same thing happened to Bush I'm sure I'd be right there mocking him & calling for his ouster, but it would be because he's Bush, not because of the affair itself.

I mean, I'd rather my President not be a horndog but it's not a priority of mine...and I'm sure he wasn't the first. Reagan had to have been cheating, if I was stuck with Nancy I'm sure I would :)

AEON said:

While I agree McCellan was a very poor commander, Lee needs some credit here. He always had the Union generals believing he had twice as many soldiers than he really had.

The thing I like about Grant is that he didn't care one way or another. He was going to finish the war or have the entire Army die trying.

Soldiers are willing to die for a single purpose - victory. True victory is the destruction of the enemy or the enemy's will to fight, whichever comes first. Grant knew this and so did Lincoln. I only wish our current commmander and chief and his generals would act so boldly.

Very true about Lee. What a gifted general he was. The North tried its hardest to have him be on their side when the war started, and for good reason. But Lee couldn't give up his beloved Virginia.

But McClellan made his share of very poor moves that assisted Lee's victories as well. He just was too pensive in his moves and that led to few positive outcomes for him.

MrsSpringsteen said:

You really think Clinton sucked as a President? Why?

1) By pulling troops out of Somalia - Clinton gave the terrorists the message that the US doesn't have the courage to fight.

2) He appointed Ruth Ginsberg to the Supreme Court

3) He looked into the camera and lied to the entire world about his "sexual relations" with an intern

4) The fact that he did have "sexual relations" with an intern demonstrates his lack of integrity

5) The mysterious deaths of those who seemed to have information on the Clintons' past shady business deals

On a positive note, his VP did invent the Internet - making Interference.com possible

redhotswami said:
I thought "impeach" was to put on trial. It isn't an outcome, it is a process.

He was impeached, which means that Congress voted for the articles of impeachment, but was subsequently acquitted. He still goes down in history as being the second president ever to be impeached. The first, Andrew Johnson, was also acquitted, albeit by a single vote.

CTU2fan said:
^ Mr.P do you/did you really care about the Monica stuff? Honestly I didn't...if a guy does a good job as President I don't care if he's got a whole conga line of interns servicing him.

That said, if the same thing happened to Bush I'm sure I'd be right there mocking him & calling for his ouster, but it would be because he's Bush, not because of the affair itself.

I mean, I'd rather my President not be a horndog but it's not a priority of mine...and I'm sure he wasn't the first. Reagan had to have been cheating, if I was stuck with Nancy I'm sure I would :)

Integrity is essential for genuine greatness. One of the reasons Lincoln is always mentioned near the top of any "best of" list because nobody questioned his integrity.

Last edited:
Lincoln was not the good guy and hero history has made him out to be. Read more up on him.

You know I don't know if I could even pick one! They've all had their good and bad factors. To me if a war is the reason someone is great, that is not good because if they were really great, they'd have avoided the war!

AEON said:

because it's absurd to draw comparisons between Lincoln and, say, a certain republican president with abysmal approval ratings bogged down in an unpopular, unwinnable war.

AEON said:

1) By pulling troops out of Somalia - Clinton gave the terrorists the message that the US doesn't have the courage to fight.

2) He appointed Ruth Ginsberg to the Supreme Court

3) He looked into the camera and lied to the entire world about his "sexual relations" with an intern

4) The fact that he did have "sexual relations" with an intern demonstrates his lack of integrity

5) The mysterious deaths of those who seemed to have information on the Clintons' past shady business deals

On a positive note, his VP did invent the Internet - making Interference.com possible

and i'd take all of this times 10 over Iraq and Katrina and doctored intelligence any day of the week and twice on sunday.

AEON said:

Integrity is essential for genuine greatness. One of the reasons Lincoln is always mentioned near the top of any "best of" list because nobody questioned his integrity.

I do think integrity matters...I'm don't think I'd rank Clinton among the "great" because of it. However there's a pretty wide gap between great & sucks. I do think Clinton was a good President, above average for sure.

Call me crazy but Clinton, even with all his sexual dalliances, deviances, whatever you want to call them (all of which I would never defend by the way and they did and do disgust me) and any other questionable issues in his Presidency- still has more integrity in my eyes in his pinky finger than GWB does in his whole being. Integrity is a bit subjective- even though it can be defined we all define it differently, perhaps.

CTU2fan said:

I do think integrity matters...I'm don't think I'd rank Clinton among the "great" because of it. However there's a pretty wide gap between great & sucks. I do think Clinton was a good President, above average for sure.

On top of that, can anyone honestly know what kind of indiscretions any of the other presidents had?

I hear Woodrow Wilson was a FREAK in the bedroom :shifty:

Clinton just got caught and he looses points for that...

I don't care about Clinton's bad choices. As a matter of fact, I thought the Republicans were wasting their time. I don't feel that the US will ever have a great president because there will always be an incident of incidents that will mar their term or terms.

Quite frankly, I don't believe that Reagan cheated on Nancy while in office. The guy was 69 when he was first elected president.

Irvine511 said:

because it's absurd to draw comparisons between Lincoln and, say, a certain republican president with abysmal approval ratings bogged down in an unpopular, unwinnable war.

In fact Lincoln at the time was considered to be an unpopular president bogged down in an "unwinnable war". The peace platform in 1864 stated that the war had "FAILED".

During his time in office, Lincoln was probably the most unpopular president in US history. But in less than 100 years, he would become the most popular President in US history.

phanan said:
Surely you're not making comparisons between the Civil War and today?

Don__t_feed_the_Troll.jpg

phanan said:
Surely you're not making comparisons between the Civil War and today?

Of course not, why would anyone do that in a thread that compares Presidents several hundred years apart and attempts to rank or claim who was better?:wink:

I think that like Washington, Lincoln, and FDR - George W. believes that our current struggles are essential for the perseverance of freedom and democracy.

I'm not saying that he executing these struggles they right way, nor is he inspiring people to follow him. But I do share his core motivation.

Once we are in a full blown World War, and this certainly will come in the next several years, then revisionist will probably look back and judge that W was actually fairly weak on combating Islamic Fascism, the true enemy of our times.

The late 1930's and early 1940's FDR is what I would love to see in office right now. A close second would be Washington, followed by Lincoln, and then Reagan.

I would also bring back General Grant to run Iraq, and General Lee to take care of Afghanistan. I would keep Patton for the war with Iran and Syria and North Africa.

AEON said:
I think that like Washington, Lincoln, and FDR - George W. believes that our current struggles are essential for the perseverance of freedom and democracy.

believe it or not, i actually agree with you here.

he's just been wrong about everything, aside from the initial invasion of Afghanistan.

but i think his motivations are in part due to the fact that he does understand how nihilistic and homocidal jihadist Islamism is. but then, Iraq has never had anything to do with the GWOT, so that's a totally separate consideration altogether.

Irvine511 said:

believe it or not, i actually agree with you here.

he's just been wrong about everything, aside from the initial invasion of Afghanistan.

but i think his motivations are in part due to the fact that he does understand how nihilistic and homocidal jihadist Islamism is. but then, Iraq has never had anything to do with the GWOT, so that's a totally separate consideration altogether.

Yes, Iraq wasn't the core problem state. I'm thinking we are there solely because it is the perfect location to fight a war in the overall Middle East theater. Iraq borders many of that states that are fostering, financing, and spreading Islamic Jihad.

And remember I said this, any new president, no matter what political party, will not entirely remove out troops from Iraq. It will be the staging point for a much larger war.

Being right in the middle is not an exact position to start a war.

Just look back at the two times Germany tried this. ;)

Vincent Vega said:
Being right in the middle is not an exact position to start a war.

Just look back at the two times Germany tried this. ;)

Good point. However, we are also in Afghanistan and we have India and Israel as close allies.

Back
Top Bottom