Get ready......... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2003, 08:16 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:33 AM
from www.cnn.com

Bush: Monday 'a moment of truth' on Iraq
Powell: 'The curtain is coming down'
Sunday, March 16, 2003 Posted: 3:47 PM EST (2047 GMT)

LAJES, the Azores (CNN) -- President Bush said Sunday the opportunity for a diplomatic solution to the confrontation with Iraq would end Monday, calling it "a moment of truth for the world."

Bush said he hopes the United Nations "will do its job," but warned that France's threatened veto of any U.N. resolution to authorize force means that "cards have been played."

Bush made his comments after a brief summit in the Azores with British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Spanish Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar. A British official had described the meeting as the "last chance for diplomacy."

"No one is pretending things are other than difficult," the British official said.

Frustrated by opposition to their hard-line stance on Iraqi disarmament, the architects of the "coalition of the willing" converged on Terceira, an island of the Portuguese Azores in the Atlantic Ocean, to decide what to do next.

The three countries are co-sponsors of a new U.N. resolution that would set out disarmament tests for Iraq with a do-it-or-else deadline -- a resolution that even sponsors concede has failed to garner the support it needs to pass through the U.N. Security Council.

Vice President Dick Cheney Sunday hinted Sunday at how near a Bush decision might be on whether to launch a war against Iraq.

"Given where we are, both diplomatically as well as in the region, we're getting close to the point where the president is going to have to make an important decision," Cheney told CBS's "Face the Nation."

Asked whether it was likely that Saddam might try to pre-empt a U.S. invasion by attacking first, he said, "That's a possibility." (Full story)

Bush and Blair maintain they already have authority, under previous U.N. resolutions, for a military strike on Iraq, regardless of the outcome of the current debate.

When asked about Security Council efforts to bring about a peaceful solution to the crisis, U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell told CNN's "Late Edition," "The curtain is coming down now. We can't continue to go like this."

"It is unfortunate that there are members of the council who say 'give it more time, give it more time' and 'the inspections are working,'" Powell said. (Full story)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from http://www.un.org/apps/sg/offthecuff.asp

New York, 14 March 2003 - Remarks by the Secretary-General following the Public Lecture Series

Q: [inaudible] … on Iraq, is there not much to talk about?

SG: It's not over until it is over.

Q: Did you talk about the difficulty that they're having with the 6 countries with the President of the Security Council?

SG: No, I didn't.

Q: You did not.

SG: I know there are discussions going on, but I didn't discuss it with the President.

Q: Do you think there will be hope, Sir? Do you still have hope?

SG: I still have hope.

Old 03-17-2003, 04:43 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 02:33 AM

You know what - in this lifetime, I never ever thought I would be, with millions of others, seeing, and above all, living, in a new World War.

I am scared.

I know that crazy Saddam will have so many thousands of weapons hidden in so many diff areas.........he will not be defeated.........and I do reckon this world is gonna suffer badly and my terrible selfish question is - 'Will I survive, or am I going to die?' 'Who else?' 'What the heck is really gonna happen once the light is green?'
Oh........Somehow I feel that if it was so out-of-control and cities were hit everywhere I know I would just feel like sitting with my family on the floor, holding hands, eyes closed and just.....praying.

Yes, yes, my post was hilarious, I know, selfishly hilarious.......but its IS scary - u have to admit.....I know Im not the only one.......and nothing serious could happen for ages.........but like, gawd knows........
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs everyone)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Y'all will have to forgive my naiveness!

oh and PS, I AM aware of the many mothers and fathers who have sons out there about to fight, who are worried beyond belief........because if anything, they are more vulnerable at the moment.........and they did not choose this war.............

But I do not look forward to the thousands of deaths........and yes, I am pessimistic on all of this...............

no-one can change that........

ya know watching Bush and Blair last night on TV, a real spookiness occured.............

however my thoughts are with the innocent pple over THERE panicking.....there will be so many deaths.......

Old 03-17-2003, 04:54 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Fine post, maddie.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.as...9&Cr=Iraq&Cr1=

16 March – The United Nations Security Council will hold a closed-door meeting on Monday to discuss a text being put forward on Iraq.

A UN spokesman in New York reported that the 15-member body will meet tomorrow afternoon "in connection with the Joint declaration by France, Germany and Russian Federation on Iraq."
Old 03-17-2003, 06:38 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Why fear the inevitable? Yes, it has always been inevitable, and now the world must face it.

What saddens me is how those who do support such a war will only realise that they were so terribly wrong when it is all too late, and their apologies won't be worth anything at all. Such minds only break when the rivers of blood are right beneath them. No, this won't be a particularly bitter war, I don't feel. You won't see body bags of young American men being sent back by the thousands, but you will see the world becoming all the more scarier. Where once we only had one Osama Bin Laden, we will now have plenty more; just because you simply haven't thought it through and have given your leaders the right to think for you.

This war will create more 9/11's in the long run.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 03-17-2003, 06:42 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:33 AM
When I wake up tomorrow, there will be war.

I do not like this feeling, and I am scared to death.

Is there no peace in this world?
Old 03-17-2003, 08:19 AM   #21
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
yertle-the-turtle:

as long as there are people who profit from war there will be war
Old 03-17-2003, 08:33 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Now I have "Profit In Peace" in my head.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:14 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I guess we'll know something when Bush addresses the country tonight.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:15 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
Why fear the inevitable? Yes, it has always been inevitable, and now the world must face it.

What saddens me is how those who do support such a war will only realise that they were so terribly wrong when it is all too late, and their apologies won't be worth anything at all. Such minds only break when the rivers of blood are right beneath them. No, this won't be a particularly bitter war, I don't feel. You won't see body bags of young American men being sent back by the thousands, but you will see the world becoming all the more scarier. Where once we only had one Osama Bin Laden, we will now have plenty more; just because you simply haven't thought it through and have given your leaders the right to think for you.

This war will create more 9/11's in the long run.

Ant.

That's so true. Damn. I'm trying not to go nuts over this but it might not be possible.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:11 PM   #25
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
meegannie: somehow i don't have a problem iif people profit from peace, because i prefer peace.
It's like i don't have a problem if someone profits from not killing someone other - well much better than murder someone because of money.

Klaus
Old 03-17-2003, 02:04 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I know, I meant the song. By Ocean Colour Scene:

All the people under broken homes
Dont wanna fight no more
All the people nursing shattered bones
Dont wanna fight no more
But theres no profit in peace
So we've gotta fight some more

And all these who are in foreign lands
Dont wanna fight no more
And all those those lost their feet or hands
Dont wanna fight no more
But there's no profit in peace boys
We gotta fight some more

Hey we dont fight no more
Hey, Hey, Hey, We dont wanna fight no more
But theres no profit in peace
So we gotta fight some more

And all those just trying toplay their part
Dont wanna fight no more
And all those who own a human heart
Dont wanna fight no more
But there's no profit in what you want
So we must fight some more

And all those who got an axe to grind down
Dont wanna fight no more
And all those who got their burning lives
Dont wanna fight no more
But theres no profit in ever being right

Chorus

And all the people under broken homes
Dont wanna fight no more
All the people nursing shattered bones
Dont wanna fight no more
But there is profit in the land you own

And all those who got a tired face
Dont wanna fight no more
And all those who are lost without a trace
Dont wanna fight no more
But there is profit in the love of hate
Old 03-17-2003, 02:40 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
What saddens me is how those who do support such a war will only realise that they were so terribly wrong when it is all too late, and their apologies won't be worth anything at all. Such minds only break when the rivers of blood are right beneath them.
What saddens me, is that apparently many countries on this planet haven´t seen enough blood yet. The whole situation reminds me of 1914, when the first World War started.

Look at the language. Look at this ridiculous "Freedom Fries" thing set up for propaganda, or the "Axis of evil" f.e. - Austria-Hungary used similar rhetorics at the start of WW I, like "Serbien muss Sterbien" ("Serbia must die"), or Germans in the thirties (the Nazis didn´t want to call a nose "Nose", because the word originates from the latin term "Nasus", and therefore is not clean Arian - not politically correct, know what I mean).

Those who support such a war only learn for a limited period of time... look at history. Germany, after all those incredible cruelties of WW II, has learned something,... but only after 90% of the country was bombed back into Stone Age. And when the generation that survived is no more there, it may start again. So, Germany may have lerned something for a period of 50 years.

U.K. didn´t learn a lot, France didn´t learn a lot, after all, they were the winners. All the European countries have made war and more war and even more war as long as there was fucking munitions to use. It was not enough soldiers dying, not enough bloodshed.

And the United States? They have a long, long way to go. After all, why should the administration have learned anything out of some - apparently - minor tragic events, minor compared to WW II.

Some think the upcoming war is just. War never is. What do you feel when you look at the Vietnam memorial in Washington... that it was a just war?

So many graves. So much pain. So much horror.