Gasoline Prices are literally scaring me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Teta040 said:
Geez...what a tragedy...I hate to say this, people, but what was going through that guy's mind when he pulled away? I imagine he could tell the guy was possibly a Moslem.. if he was shouting in an Indonesian accent. I hope a smug "FU" wasn't going through his mind...

Sorry but I can';t underestimate racism in times like these..if course he meant to steal the gas but sticking it to a Moselm must have been SO nice.

Not that I have noidea what was going on in that guy's head. But I can't guaruntee that there wouldn't be idiots who WOULD do this thinking like that.

I don't think the victim's religious or ehtnic identity was a factor; it was more of a theft that turned much worse. I'm of the opinion that since a death occurred in the dommission of a crime (theft), it should automatically incur a murder charge. That is not good for the suspect under Alabama law.

~U2Alabama

So.....someone just said gas in one place in Zeeland (town a bit southwest of here) is $3.25 b/c of the hurricane.

melon said:

Frankly, I don't buy it. Gas prices consistenly go higher over highly irrational events, like over the death of King Fahd, whose successor was the one who was actually ruling over Saudi Arabia over the last ten years!

That tends to show evidence of speculation over actual supply and demand. The oil industry is currently raking in record profits.

Melon

I'm no expert, but it's always been my understanding that the futures market needs speculators. They dramatically increase the volume of trades which adds price stability. Without speculators, futures markets just wouldn't work, which would add a lot of risk to everyone in the petroleum industry, which would in turn drive prices higher.

Although speculators may drive prices dramatically higher (or lower) over news like that, it tends to be over the short-term. Fundamentals will always eventually bring the futures price back in line w/ reality.

Again, I'm no expert on this stuff. I'm used to dealing with other commodities, but I think the prinicipals are the same.

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

You're right, and I would argue that here in the States, we're too dependent on trucking as a whole. We want every little thing, like, yesterday. We have perfectly good railroads and could move use ONE train to move the same amount that 100 trucks would.

Our railroads are jammed with freight. That's one of the reasons Amtrak sucks so completely as a reliable mode of transportation: freight trains, not passenger trains, rule the rails.

Plus, all those trains are burning diesel fuel.

If the USA wants to change it's oil consumption it will need one of two things to happen. One involves a major cultural shift, the other involves a major technological breakthrough. But they both center around the same thing. It is THE ISSUE in U.S. oil consumption. Ready?

Body Odor.

Yeah. People in the U.S. are not cool with being stinky. And if you walk, run, or ride a bike, you will get stinky. Trust me, I've tried. I've tried riding my bike to work (5 miles each way). It makes me stink. I regularly run to the grocery store (only half a mile each way), and it makes me stink. I decided to go all out a few months ago and save some gas by running 12 miles to have dinner at someone's house. Thankfully they let me shower on arrival, otherwise NO ONE would have had an appetite. But if you don't want to stink, you're stuck driving a car (or using some petroleum-burning form of transportation).

So if I am going to regularly use self-propelled transportation for things within 5 miles of my house (something I would be more than happy to do), one of two things needs to happen:

1. We need to become more accepting of sweatiness and body odor (I'm all in favor of this one)
or
2. We need a major breakthrough in anti-persperant/deodorant technology.

Until this happens, I'm stuck riding my 1972 Honda SL100 (about 75 miles to the gallon).

Last edited:
Hey SpiralStaircase...was thinking of you the other day! :wave:

Well, I rid myself of the biggest offender in the axis of interference evil and drove home in one derFuhrer's "people's Car" this evening.

Now...per the fine Volkswagon people, I am told it is preferred that I use the middle grade gas. Do I do it...or do I try and save a few bucks each time?

zoney! :wave: Yeah, I haven't been around here much for the last couple of years - job change has me sitting in front of a computer a lot less (that's a good thing) - but the tour has brought me back around again.

new VW? nice. what'd you get?

I've always heard that you won't do any damage putting lower grade gas in an engine that's designed for premium, but you probably won't get peak performance/mileage. But that's just what I've heard. Maybe your car will blow up. I say try a few tanks each way and see what the mileage is like.

Venezuela to sell cut-price heating oil to U.S. poor

Aug 29 10:39 PM US/Eastern

CARACAS, Venezuela (Reuters) - Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez said on Monday his government plans to sell as much as 66,000 barrels per day of heating fuel from its U.S. Citgo refinery to poor communities in the United States.

The offer, made after populist Chavez held talks with U.S. civil rights activist Rev. Jesse Jackson, would represent 10 percent of the 660,000 bpd of refined products processed by Citgo. The deals would cut consumer costs by direct sales.

Venezuela's Energy Minister Rafael Ramirez said officials were still working on the details on how the oil would be sold from Citgo, a unit of the state oil firm PDVSA.

"We are going to direct as much as 10 percent of the production, that means 66,000 barrels, without intermediaries, to poor communities, hospitals, religious communities, schools," Chavez told reporters at a press conference.

The world's No. 5 oil exporter, oil cartel OPEC member Venezuela is a key supplier to the United States, providing about 15 percent of all U.S. energy imports.

But relations between Caracas and Washington have become strained since left-winger Chavez was elected in 1998 promising social reforms.

Chavez, a former army officer who survived a coup in 2002, frequently accuses the U.S. of backing efforts to kill him or topple his government. U.S. officials dismiss those charges but say Chavez has become a threat to regional stability.

So we have Chavez wanting to under-charge Americans

and Haliburton over-charging American taxpayers for gasoline in Iraq

No wonder Cheney - Bush see this guy as evil.

Be prepared: Gasoline is expected to shoot up about 70 cents a gallon or so on top of existing high prices this week--most likely tomorrow.

Gas will very likely be around $3.30 a gallon...minimum.

Melon

So.....someone just said gas in one place in Zeeland (town a bit southwest of here) is $3.25 b/c of the hurricane.

...becuz of the hurricane! That is such BS.....it is price gouging at its finest and everyone knows it.

I've been very pleased with my VW Jetta--particularly with its fuel efficiency--but the lease expires next May. I think I might try for a Toyota Prius next time around if I need a car. With any luck, though, I'll have moved somewhere where I no longer need to drive.

photo_5.jpg

Melon

I saw a documentary item about life in Zimbabwe last night. Currently they are queuing for days to get petrol (partly because of course this is a very isolated nation). But... I wonder if this is our future.

I wonder how (if) we'll cope. One thing is pretty clear, the future does not look good.

What really gets me is that there is no shortage of oil. It is speculators that are driving the cost of it up. Even worse are the gas stations that jack up the prices on gas already paid for and in the ground.

randhail said:
What really gets me is that there is no shortage of oil. It is speculators that are driving the cost of it up. Even worse are the gas stations that jack up the prices on gas already paid for and in the ground.

Steve Forbes said a few days ago that he thought the price per barrel would be back down to $30 within a year.

I think I heard that it would take ten days for the gas companies to see the effect of lack of oil on prices. And yet, gas was $2.80 on Monday and $3.20 on Tuesday. In Bloomington, Indiana! I'm not living in NYC anymore, people. I'm living in the Midwest. It costs less for a pitcher of beer here than a glass in NYC and I'm still paying $3.20? These are the days when I miss my subway pass that cost me $72 a month.

Spiral_Staircase said:

Our railroads are jammed with freight. That's one of the reasons Amtrak sucks so completely as a reliable mode of transportation: freight trains, not passenger trains, rule the rails.

Plus, all those trains are burning diesel fuel.

If the USA wants to change it's oil consumption it will need one of two things to happen. One involves a major cultural shift, the other involves a major technological breakthrough. But they both center around the same thing. It is THE ISSUE in U.S. oil consumption. Ready?

Body Odor.

Yeah. People in the U.S. are not cool with being stinky. And if you walk, run, or ride a bike, you will get stinky. Trust me, I've tried. I've tried riding my bike to work (5 miles each way). It makes me stink. I regularly run to the grocery store (only half a mile each way), and it makes me stink. I decided to go all out a few months ago and save some gas by running 12 miles to have dinner at someone's house. Thankfully they let me shower on arrival, otherwise NO ONE would have had an appetite. But if you don't want to stink, you're stuck driving a car (or using some petroleum-burning form of transportation).

So if I am going to regularly use self-propelled transportation for things within 5 miles of my house (something I would be more than happy to do), one of two things needs to happen:

1. We need to become more accepting of sweatiness and body odor (I'm all in favor of this one)
or
2. We need a major breakthrough in anti-persperant/deodorant technology.

Until this happens, I'm stuck riding my 1972 Honda SL100 (about 75 miles to the gallon).

Well... many people around here smell bad anyway. And they still drive these freekin' big assed trucks and SUV's. One or the other people! One or the other!! :mad:

With the damage from Katrina and New Orleans being obviously impassable, there were all sorts of rumors about gasoline not being able to get into GA, and the prices went straight up. It's just price gauging. :tsk: Luckily the Governor froze the prices for now...Still there are lines out into the streets at the pump, and everyone's in a panic.

I like how people (in general) are panicking over getting gas and not the fact that hundreds of people just died and thousands more are left homeless.

I like how people (in general) are panicking over getting gas and not the fact that hundreds of people just died and thousands more are left homeless.

Believe me, I'm counting my lucky stars that I'm paying $3.15 for gas when I could very well be floating down a street near my damaged house looking for my family and pets.

Price gouging. The oil compainies are making the most out of the situation. While thousands are left with nothing, oil company profits will go even higher. Good times.

indra said:

Well... many people around here smell bad anyway. And they still drive these freekin' big assed trucks and SUV's. One or the other people! One or the other!! :mad:

Everyone who has a car that gets less than 15 miles per gallon should be forced to serve 3 months in Iraq.

3.93 in Grand Island. up 1.30 over 36 hours.

I like how the price of a barell of gas goes up in the morning(stockmarket) and we see the result at the pumps by noon. Thats stupid we are not seeing that gas for a few weeks why does the price jump suddenly. Someones getting richer, and I dont think its me.

Back
Top Bottom