Gasoline Prices are literally scaring me - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2005, 03:49 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:42 PM
I feel bad for people like my sister who has a husband and four kids. They have the choice of a mini van or taking 2 vehicles everywhere they go as a family. They did the 2-vehicle thing for years and finally were able to afford the mini-van just as gas prices skyrocketed. They also didn't plan to have 4 kids; they wanted a third and ended up with twins.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:53 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I feel bad for people like my sister who has a husband and four kids. They have the choice of a mini van or taking 2 vehicles everywhere they go as a family. They did the 2-vehicle thing for years and finally were able to afford the mini-van just as gas prices skyrocketed. They also didn't plan to have 4 kids; they wanted a third and ended up with twins.
We used to have this problem when me and my sibs were all too young to walk or ride bikes or pay our friends. My parents owned one vehicle (a used minivan) and then my dad would lease another. Our minivan actually exploded all over the highway so my parents had to get a new used car, but thankfully my dad's new job provides him w/ a car since he travels so much for his job.

Do minivans get better gas milage than SUVs?

Old 08-10-2005, 03:59 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Do minivans get better gas milage than SUVs?
Actually I was making a false assumption, that minivans got poor gas mileage. I just did quick search on the Honda Odyssey and it actually gets 18/25 (city/highway). Not bad at all and better than a lot of SUVs. Forget my previous post!
Old 08-10-2005, 04:01 PM   #49
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:42 PM
Thank God for company cars
Old 08-10-2005, 04:10 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Actually I was making a false assumption, that minivans got poor gas mileage. I just did quick search on the Honda Odyssey and it actually gets 18/25 (city/highway). Not bad at all and better than a lot of SUVs. Forget my previous post!
oh, no, I didn't mean to question your post, I was just curious b/c I honestly don't know. Sorry!
Old 08-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #51
Refugee

Local Time: 12:42 AM
HAs anybody else heard that somebody found a way to have cars run on water, or I think it was some other liquid, I cant rememebr. But that it was really accesible, free and clean for the enviroment, but the government wouldnt accept it, because the government makes so much $ by taxing the gas. Anybody else heard this?
Old 08-10-2005, 07:55 PM   #52
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:42 PM
There are cars that can run on vegtable oil.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:02 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:42 AM
I think we're all kidding ourselves to some extent... ie. the idea that "I don't drive a car so it doesn't affect me" and that sort of thing. Hell, I drive very little myself, but if oil stays high in price (which it will), it will affect everything that relies on oil:

production of food
transportation of food
plastics and any products that involve plastics

and so on. So yeah, it's unnerving.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:48 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by macphisto23
HAs anybody else heard that somebody found a way to have cars run on water, or I think it was some other liquid, I cant rememebr. But that it was really accesible, free and clean for the enviroment, but the government wouldnt accept it, because the government makes so much $ by taxing the gas. Anybody else heard this?
It was water, and I think that one of the major oil companies bought the patent, so that it would never see the light of day.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:03 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

It was water, and I think that one of the major oil companies bought the patent, so that it would never see the light of day.
if that's true it's seriously one of the most fucked up things i've ever heard of.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:07 PM   #56
Acrobat

Jumping in on 80s and BVS conversation- I did not think the TRE actually went to Arlington. Doesn't it go north near DFW and then swing down into downtown Dallas?

Regarding public transpprtation in Arlington-Do you remember what the final vote was 80s? NOt exact numbers but the percentage of yes/no votes? I guess it goes to show you that football (unfortunately) is still king what with Jerry's stadium and all.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:12 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Ft. Worth Frog
Jumping in on 80s and BVS conversation- I did not think the TRE actually went to Arlington. Doesn't it go north near DFW and then swing down into downtown Dallas?

Regarding public transpprtation in Arlington-Do you remember what the final vote was 80s? NOt exact numbers but the percentage of yes/no votes? I guess it goes to show you that football (unfortunately) is still king what with Jerry's stadium and all.
I think it actually does stop in Arlington, out on 360, close to 183 (Trinity Dr?). The airport is the next stop on the route. I know there's a little section along there, that although surrounded by Arlington on both sides, is Ft. Worth. That may be in that area.

I don't remember any of the final votes, but I know it lost 3 times.

Speaking of Fort Worth, that area near the Radio Shack HQ is gonna look nice when they're all done. I wish we'd spent some money revitalizing our downtown instead of funding Jerry's playhouse.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:15 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Atlanta's mass transit is a joke. It benefits those who only live near the MARTA train line. The county I live in has a bus system but in order to get to one, I have to drive to it. There is no point. I would love it if the rail line extended north west to the county I live in, but there are many people who do not want it because they are fearful that it will bring lower income people into the area. So we just have to deal with the ignorance and deal with the unhealthy air and smog alerts and 45 min to an 1hr commute each way to get to work.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:19 AM   #59
Refugee

Local Time: 12:42 AM
NBCrusader, would that book be "Saudi Arabia Exposed" by John Bradely?

A great read if you want the real skinny on that benighted country. He was the only Western journalist of the past 10 yrs who was allowed unrestricted access all over thecountry to go anywhere he wanted and talk to anybody he liked, without a "minder"--you knowm the offical tagalong Gov't wachdog a lot of dicatorial regimes have for journos or tourists. He mingled with everyone. Dang, there are not one but two "royal families", and they hate each other...
Old 08-11-2005, 02:24 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Although high for us in the U.S., they're still significantly lower than in many other places, such as Europe where prices are nearly double what they are here. So the selfish side of me wants to complain but the bigger picture is that I wouldn't actually mind if prices went even higher if it meant Americans would buy smaller fuel efficient cars--and I say that as someone who drives a lot of long distances and noted the increase quite a bit when I drove to LA recently. But fuel efficiency is about much more than American wallets (gasp!).

Well said, joyfulgirl