Gasoline Prices are literally scaring me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gas prices here figure out to be close to $5 a gallon. And this is one of the poorest countries in the world. Most people don't make that much money in a week! What do they do? Walk a lot in the blazing sun, balancing heavy loads on their heads...take donkey carts when available or crowded dirty dilapidated minivans converted into communal transport...people, chickens, goats and children stuffed into a small space so tight one can barely breathe. And they pay higher prices for the all the goods that are imported into this landlocked country via the roads. I'm sorry but when I try to feel sorry for an increase in gas prices the richest most luxurious country in the world when it is significantly more expensive in one of the poorest, I have a hard time summoning up the pity. :|

Kieran McConville said:
I think we're all kidding ourselves to some extent... ie. the idea that "I don't drive a car so it doesn't affect me" and that sort of thing. Hell, I drive very little myself, but if oil stays high in price (which it will), it will affect everything that relies on oil:

production of food
transportation of food
plastics and any products that involve plastics

and so on. So yeah, it's unnerving.

You're right, and I would argue that here in the States, we're too dependent on trucking as a whole. We want every little thing, like, yesterday. We have perfectly good railroads and could move use ONE train to move the same amount that 100 trucks would.

sulawesigirl4 said:
Gas prices here figure out to be close to $5 a gallon. And this is one of the poorest countries in the world. Most people don't make that much money in a week! What do they do? Walk a lot in the blazing sun, balancing heavy loads on their heads...take donkey carts when available or crowded dirty dilapidated minivans converted into communal transport...people, chickens, goats and children stuffed into a small space so tight one can barely breathe. And they pay higher prices for the all the goods that are imported into this landlocked country via the roads. I'm sorry but when I try to feel sorry for an increase in gas prices the richest most luxurious country in the world when it is significantly more expensive in one of the poorest, I have a hard time summoning up the pity. :|

I never thought of it this way. However I also feel that when petrol prices rise it is always those on the lowest incomes who suffer the most - whatever country it may be in. Those driving the big petrol guzzling cars and 4x4's probably don't really feel the pinch and unfortunately I doubt petrol price rises will make them buy more fuel efficient cars.

I don't think it's a matter of wanting everything, like, yesterday. I'm just talking about the basic business of getting food and goods where they're needed when they're needed. The sort of stuff that makes everyday life possible. It's the only reason why in a western country like Australia or the US, a drought doesn't mean a famine.

Teta040 said:
NBCrusader, would that book be "Saudi Arabia Exposed" by John Bradely?

A great read if you want the real skinny on that benighted country. He was the only Western journalist of the past 10 yrs who was allowed unrestricted access all over thecountry to go anywhere he wanted and talk to anybody he liked, without a "minder"--you knowm the offical tagalong Gov't wachdog a lot of dicatorial regimes have for journos or tourists. He mingled with everyone. Dang, there are not one but two "royal families", and they hate each other...

No, it is "Twilight in the Desert" by Matthew R. Simmons

He has reviewed technical papers from Aramco and Saudi Aramco over the decades. It appears that the lion's share of oil from Saudi comes from one giant oil field called "Ghawar". From the earliest days, water injection was used to maintain pumping pressure. Not good for long term oil production.

The rise in prices of crude oil should be a concern for everyone. A lot of places, especially in the northeast, use oil to heat their homes in the winter. As prices keep going up, it becomes more difficult for lower-income families to afford the oil and stay warm. If this trend continues, it could have serious consequences.

80sU2isBest said:

If you lived in my city, you'd have to have a car. There is no public transportation.

and don't forget there are lots of places where you must have a car. With a 40 mile commute, I'm suffering. I blame the government. I bet Bush is getting kickback.

Gas is just under $2.50/gal here now (northeastern Pennsylvania). I put my little sister on notice that I'm coming home this weekend and taking my bike back.

Government gives us tax cuts.
Government taxes the shit out of gas.
Government gets our money, one way or another.
People are stupid enough to vote for Bush.

randhail said:
Government gives us tax cuts.
Government taxes the shit out of gas.
Government gets our money, one way or another.
People are stupid enough to vote for Bush.

When was the last federal gas tax hike? I've looked around and it appears that the last one was in 1993. The taxes on gasoline by the Federal Government is 18.4 cents per gallon. The state to state gas taxes vary. The hike in 1993 was about 4 cents per gallon.

So, the Bush tax cuts and the federal gas tax have nothing to do with each other, because the gas tax has not grown. So whether you buy 10 gallons of gas at $2 or $10 a gallon, you still pay the federal government $1.84.

FORT PAYNE, Alabama (AP) -- A gas station owner was run over and killed when he tried to stop a driver from leaving without paying for $52 worth of gasoline, police said.

The driver had not been apprehended Sunday, and police Chief David Walker said the case was being investigated as a robbery-homicide.

Witnesses told police that Husain Caddi, owner of Fort Payne Texaco, "grabbed onto the vehicle" Friday when the driver began to drive off.

Caddi was dragged across the parking lot and onto a highway, where he fell to the pavement and was run over by the late model sport utility vehicle's rear wheel, Walker said.

"Other vehicles were leaving the station's lot and there was a great deal of traffic on the roadway near the station at the time," Walker said.

Caddi, 54, later died at a hospital, Walker said.

Police said the driver was in his 20s or 30s.

Gas prices have surged to a nationwide average of $2.55 a gallon.

I'm buying a hybrid. They're so cheap now there is no reason not to buy one. Infact, the monthy payments after my trade in are the same as the money I'm spending on gas a month. The same!!

VKX said:
I'm buying a hybrid. They're so cheap now there is no reason not to buy one. Infact, the monthy payments after my trade in are the same as the money I'm spending on gas a month. The same!!

Has the price come down on them? because I was looking at a Ford Escape Hybrid and it was close to $10,000 more than the regular one. I would love to get a hybrid, but right now they are much more expensive than other vehicles, at least from what I have seen.

MrsSpringsteen said:
FORT PAYNE, Alabama (AP) -- A gas station owner was run over and killed when he tried to stop a driver from leaving without paying for $52 worth of gasoline, police said.

The driver had not been apprehended Sunday, and police Chief David Walker said the case was being investigated as a robbery-homicide.

Witnesses told police that Husain Caddi, owner of Fort Payne Texaco, "grabbed onto the vehicle" Friday when the driver began to drive off.

Caddi was dragged across the parking lot and onto a highway, where he fell to the pavement and was run over by the late model sport utility vehicle's rear wheel, Walker said.

"Other vehicles were leaving the station's lot and there was a great deal of traffic on the roadway near the station at the time," Walker said.

Thank you, Red States, for putting Bush back into the White House, and then killing yourselves over high gas prices. *sighs*

MrsSpringsteen said:

One thing we teach the employees (and the owners) of the gas stations at BP is that they should never try to stop the people who take off without paying. That is a serious hazard to the safety of the staff and the station. We advise them to let them go and report their plate numbers. $50 worth of oil is not worth a life. (Yet its acceptable to some if we are talking about billions of dollars worth of oil)

LyricalDrug said:

Thank you, Red States, for putting Bush back into the White House, and then killing yourselves over high gas prices. *sighs*

This has nothing to do with "red states"---it's more like it has to do with a heartless homicidal maniac who'd kill someone for $50 of gas.

What does putting Bush back into the White House have to do with this?

LyricalDrug said:
Thank god I bought a hybrid.

is the gas mileage as good as advertised? i plan on running my neon into the ground but definitely would like to get a hybrid once it's dead. another 2-3 years i'd imagine. i really don't know why there aren't more consumer vehicles out there that are hybrids. it's too bad the government won't step up regulations on motor vehicles. it doesn't seem completely insane to say that in 5-10 years all consumer vehicles should be running some sort of hybrid engine. :|

I have but two things to say:

1. My old Geography teacher told us last year about how in Brazil they make cars run on alcohol (taken from sugar beet they grow there or something?? My memory may be going) and have got really behind the scheme. Pumps at every petrol station selling the stuff etc.

2. THE USA HAS TO CHANGE. Oil is running out, fast. It will run out in my lifetime if current usage stays the same. FACT. So are you going to change now (and thus try to reduce the damage done to the environment) or when you are forced to?

You need to get better public transport. LA, for example, has huge urban sprawl that causes it many, many problems not least the huge amount of traffic as people commute to work in cars due to the blatent lack of adequate public transport.

This sounds very anti-USA but indeed the whole world has to change. The USA aren't the only ones with a less than perfect environmental record (Heck just ask Scandinavian countries about their British acid rain!) but the USA are the ones who seem to think they can do whatever you want and to hell with the consequences. I'm not saying you all think like that but many of the responses here seem rather isolationist. (For example, you seem ignorant of just how expensive petrol is in Europe.)

I know you distrust many European ideas (fancy a country having FREE healthcare! :wink: ), I know the USA is a big country, I know organising an adequate public transport system would be hard but it's going to have to be done at some point because, frankly, you can't carry on as you are. The sooner this is recognised the better and get some pressure put on those politicans and the public at large!

^A very jumbled, unclear response for which I apologise but just wanted to contribute my thoughts. Hope you could make them out from the terrible waffle I've just written.

melon said:

Thankfully, my car only has a capacity for 14 gallons of gas, so even if gas goes up to $3.00 a gallon, the most I'll pay is $34.00. It's still pretty crappy.

Melon

Hmmm... 14 x 3 = $42... where does this $34 come from? ;)

As for gas prices, I do think they are ridiculous - even though we are far cheaper than the rest of the world. I know we pay a lot less than Europe, because I was just in Europe! But it was just a few scant years ago that gasoline was floating around $1/gallon! To go to nearly $3/gallon in such a short time is very bad. Tripling gas prices affect not only what we put in our cars, but it affects the heat in our homes (natural gas or oil), and the prices of produce (which is delivered by truck) and other supplies. Additionally, it will affect all modes of transportation (air, train, ship, bus, etc.). In other words, while our wallets can tolerate a moderate increase in gasoline prices, to see a doubling if not tripling in price in such a short time will mean bad things for every aspect of business soon enough. Creating hybrid cars or more fuel efficient cars is good - but it won't change the price of gas and our wallets will still be hit in many areas, even if we pay a bit less in gas for our car.

Of All Gas Consumers, Bush May Be Biggest
Aug 24

By JENNIFER LOVEN
Associated Press Writer

Getting President Bush from here to there consumes an enormous amount of fuel, whether he's aboard Air Force One, riding in a helicopter or on the ground in a heavily armored limousine. The bill gets steeper every day as the White House is rocked by the same energy prices as regular drivers. Taxpayers still foot the bill.

Almost every vehicle Bush uses is custom-made to add security and communications capabilities, and the heavier weight of these guzzlers further drives up gas and jet fuel costs.

The White House declines to discuss travel costs related to the presidential entourage, and did not respond to a request for the overall effect of higher fuel prices on its budget.

It is not Bush's choice to be ferried around in a less than fuel- efficient manner. Those arrangements are dictated by tradition and the Secret Service, whose mission is to protect him.

But Bush is one of the nation's most-traveled presidents.

He has visited 46 countries, some of them several times, during his presidency. He has been to all states except Vermont and Rhode Island.

So far this year, he has made 73 domestic and foreign trips, including crisscrossing the country on a 60-day, 60-city tour to promote his Social Security plan. He was on the road Wednesday, speaking to a military audience in Idaho, before returning to his Texas ranch to resume his summer vacation.

About the only vehicle Bush has much say in is the 2001 white Ford F250 pickup he keeps on his ranch. At the nationwide gasoline average of $2.61 a gallon, it would cost at least $75 to fill the Ford's tank. The 1999 four-wheel-drive model gets 13 miles per gallon in the city, 17 on the highway, according to an Energy Department Web site, http://www.fueleconomy.gov .

But much as he seems to relish any chance to get behind the wheel, Bush actually drives the pickup very little, confined as he is to only occasional visits to his ranch and to remaining on its 1,600 acres when he's driving himself.

Elsewhere, whether in Washington, Des Moines or Tbilisi, Bush is driven in a large motorcade. The typical presidential caravan has well over a dozen vehicles, including Bush's limousine and an identical limo put in as a decoy.

The motorcade generally doesn't cruise placidly at fuel-efficient speeds, but rather hurries along its route as fast as possible. It also often idles outside while Bush is at an event, burning up fuel but ready to depart at a moment's notice.

The president's limos alone consume lots of gas.

Starting with his inaugural in January, Bush began tooling around in new 2006 Cadillac DTS limos.

The full-sized luxury sedan version, available to the general public, has an 18-gallon tank that would cost about $47 to fill at that $2.61- a-gallon rate. (White House vehicles are fueled at a special, dedicated facility and the price paid per gallon there is not released.) Cadillac spokesman Kevin Smith said the Cadillac DTS sedan gets 18 mpg in the city, 27 on the highway.

The vehicle Bush uses is a much different animal _ with different gas mileage. An outside company customizes the DTS for presidential use by "stretching" it to limo length, adding bulletproof glass, heavy armor and other bells and whistles _ all making it significantly heavier and less fuel-efficient, Smith said.

The same thing for the Chevrolet Suburbans that are sometimes used as limo substitutes. The mass-marketed 2005 K1500 Suburban would cost nearly $81 to fill up with its large 31-gallon tank. It gets 15 mpg in the city, 19 on the highway, according to http://www.fueleconomy.gov . But it's not clear exactly which trim model of Suburban Bush uses, and his are custom-fitted with extra gear that would reduce the gas mileage.

In the air, Bush most often flies on a Boeing 747-200B laden with, among other things, an anti-missile system. Like gas for cars, fuel costs for the largest plane in the Air Force One fleet have gone up dramatically _ from $3,974 an hour in fiscal 2004 to $6,029 per hour now, according to the Air Force.

John Armbrust, publisher of Jet Fuel Report, said Air Force One is no different from its commercial counterparts in that respect.

"It's an expensive proposition to fly these planes, whether its Air Force One or a regular 747," he said.

Reducing his appearances outside the White House and making other gestures toward fuel conservation could help cut down on costs.

But some suggest that could do more harm for national morale and Bush's image than good for the financial bottom line.

Remember Jimmy Carter donning a sweater and asking Americans facing an energy crisis to turn down their thermostats? Or giving the speech about the nation's "crisis of confidence" that led to his permanent association with "malaise?" Carter's critics turned both utterances into emblems that contributed to his political undoing.

I feel a bit guilty for what I put earlier with its 'holier than thou' attitude because, really, it was very hypocritical as the UK isn't exactly perfect in terms of the whole traffic situation either (Chelsea tractors etc).

But it's just the whole lack of public transport thing frankly shocks me. I mean OK, you're a big place, but not having adequate public transport* in cities just beggars belief. You need restrictions on how big your cities grow to limit urban sprawl, and you need 'encouragements' to get people onto the public transport (the congestion charges they put in place in London after it was successfully implemented in a northern English city has all but empitied the inner city of traffic, apparently). But now I'm ranting again......and being patronising.

BUT my point is (I'm sure I've got one somewhere), from my ignorant outsider's point of view the USA seems to be just ignoring the problem and hoping it'll go away. This is surely a sign that something is very wrong.

*I'm aware the UK's public transport ain't up to much in the niceness stakes. :tsk:

There was also talk of a company who'd managed to get a car to run on water. Well, on the latest (quite annoying) Honda ad it says they worked in conjunction with New York State Council(?? It was New York anyway!) to give 2 cars to the city whose only emissions were pure H20.

TheQuiet1 said:
BUT my point is (I'm sure I've got one somewhere), from my ignorant outsider's point of view the USA seems to be just ignoring the problem and hoping it'll go away. This is surely a sign that something is very wrong.

I agree with you and Irvine as well. The problem isn't gas prices. Lowering gas prices again will only make things worse. The problem is the general attitude. If people cared more about public transporatation, we could MAKE it an issue, b/c after all we are a democracy and WE decide who to put into office based on how we feel about certain issues. People can complain all they want about high gas, but I doubt a significant amount of people have been using their vehicles less and I doubt there's been any decrese in sales of SUVs. It seems to me that not enough people are genuinely willing to use public transport, we just like to use "bad public transport" as an excuse for why we should still be allowed to own 3 cars per family and huge SUVs and still think we have a right to complain about gas prices.

All this petrol talk has reminded me of something! Any Brits remember back in 2000 when we had the petrol blockades?!!

Only in the UK would we allow people to blockade distribution depots till many petrol stations ran dry. Anywhere else would have had them forcibly removed but no, we have bobbies drinking tea with them in a nice, calm, polite manner whilst the rest of the country panics and forms mile long queues at the local petrol stations before supplies run out. All because they have a right to protest!! I love living on this crazy little island sometimes, I really do. You have all this to hell in a handcart misery then you something like this happens and it just makes me feel so proud. That protest could have been violently broken up but it wasn't despite its consequences. And there was just the sheer politeness of the whole thing (farmers sharing their tea with the police etc) that reminded me that maybe this isn't such a bad place to live after all.

Am I mad? Most probably. (In case you can't tell I'd only be 13 at the time so the whole car thing didn't bother me)

I just wonder what the USA would have done....... and how you'd have coped!

All I have to say is this: if you can't afford the gas, then don't own an SUV.

I have Geo Metro, and the increased gas prices have only taken an extra $10 per month out of my wallet. People used to make fun of my car, but it looks like I'll have the last laugh.:wink:

Nobody needs an SUV. Unless you live on a dirt road in the middle of the bush, an SUV serves no practical purpose. An SUV is a form of conspicuous consumption, that's all.

Back
Top Bottom