FYM chat thread: wave if you're wearing green today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chat thread? :no: :wink:

I'm wearing my green Aran sweater w/ my Irish pin

How well do you know all things Irish?

Take this pop quiz. Answer correctly, and you just may be brilliant! Brilliant!

1. How many letters are in the Irish alphabet?
2. True or false: An Irishman wrote the song “Danny Boy.”
3. What is believed to be St. Patrick’s real name?
4. Where was St. Patrick born?
5. Four Irish writers have won the Nobel Prize for Literature. Who are they?
6. Which was the first American pub to offer Guinness Draught?
7. True or false: “Christmas in Kilarney” was written in Ireland.
8. True or false: Ireland has more tourists than residents.
9. What is U2 singer Bono’s real name?
10. Where was Eamon de Valera, the third president of the Republic of Ireland, born?
11. What are “Munster Plums”?
12. Where was the first St. Patrick’s Day celebration in America held?
13. Which state in America is closest in size to Ireland?
14. What’s the difference between a shamrock and a clover?
15. True or false: Cabbage and corned beef is a traditional meal in Ireland.
16. True or false: Potatoes are native to Ireland.
17. When did Guinness Draught first appear on tap: 1759, 1859 or 1959?

Last edited:
1. How many letters are in the Irish alphabet? 24 or 22:S
2. True or false: An Irishman wrote the song “Danny Boy.” False i think
3. What is believed to be St. Patrick’s real name? Patricius...not sure, he was from a roman family though
4. Where was St. Patrick born? Wales
5. Four Irish writers have won the Nobel Prize for Literature. Who are they? Seamus Heaney, W.B Yeats (my favourite poet)....next one im unsure about...James Joyce...can't think of who else
6. Which was the first American pub to offer Guinness Draught? no idea
7. True or false: “Christmas in Kilarney” was written in Ireland. False:s
8. True or false: Ireland has more tourists than residents. True i think
9. What is U2 singer Bono’s real name? Paul Hewson
10. Where was Eamon de Valera, the third president of the Republic of Ireland, born? Probably France or something like taht
11. What are “Munster Plums”? Potatoes
12. Where was the first St. Patrick’s Day celebration in America held? Boston?
13. Which state in America is closest in size to Ireland? Illinois?
14. What’s the difference between a shamrock and a clover? Clover has 3 separate leaves, whereas the shamrock the 3 separate sections all join together before the stem...i think..never looked close enough.
15. True or false: Cabbage and corned beef is a traditional meal in Ireland. True me thinks
16. True or false: Potatoes are native to Ireland. Nope Mexico
17. When did Guinness Draught first appear on tap: 1759, 1859 or 1959? First on tap ummm 1859?

Im irish and im crap at these questions:wink:

And my hair be green:cool:

Wave_20.jpg

:wave:

Got my green shirt on, my Irish earrings on, all good!

Thanks for the Irish quiz! Good stuff :up:

I'll be wearing green sweater, green skirt and boots, green Kiss me I'm Irish pin, green Irish beads, 2 green braids pinned in my hair, green sparkly shamrock antennae headband on my head, green nail polish, green eye shadow, drinking green beer and eating green food, listening to Irish music and U2, spending green dollars having a good ole green time!

:up: I'm ready!

Funny thing is, I didn't even realize it was St. Patrick's day.

Carek1230 said:

Thanks for the Irish quiz! Good stuff :up:

I'll be wearing green sweater, green skirt and boots, green Kiss me I'm Irish pin, green Irish beads, 2 green braids pinned in my hair, green sparkly shamrock antennae headband on my head, green nail polish, green eye shadow, drinking green beer and eating green food, listening to Irish music and U2, spending green dollars having a good ole green time!

:up: I'm ready!

but how will I find you tonite? :lmao:

I can't wave just yet. I haven't showered or gotten dressed, but I will. Soon... At least before Carek1230 sees me, :lol:

Happy St. Paddy's Day, everyone! :wave:

We were invited to a party tonight, but unfortunately we can't go because it's Shabbat...unlike some Catholics I've read about (a-hem!), Jews don't get a special Lenten dispensition to break the rules for St. Patrick's Day (though maybe in Dublin they do, it wouldn't surpise me)! Probably just as well, as I already got fall-down drunk on Purim earlier this week...

I am wearing my green shirt though...what I really want to know is, where did that pinch-if-you're-not-wearing-green custom come from? :no:

I am wearing a green thong, not my own, but I am durnk...friom grren beer.
bra_green.jpg

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
Purim parties are fun!
:sexywink: Yup...you gotta love a religious holiday where the faithful are *commanded* to get plastered!

I know one of the trickier ones, anyway. Eamon de Valera was born in New York City to an Irish mother and a Cuban father. It's interesting how many of the founders of the Republic of Ireland were either born in other countries or had English parents (Padraig Pierce) or were Protestant. None of them fit the Irish stereotype, although de Valera was adamant that the best Ireland would be Gaelic and Catholic--sort of promoting the stereotypical Irish person.

^Well I always found the idea that you get more Irish the further away you are from home, quite interesting, because it seems to be true...i've become a lot more Irish since i've been in England...maybe the case with de Valera was that since he was further away from the Irish stereotype, he tried harder to be the stereotype.......

Back
Top Bottom