Freedom Of What?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem is that not enough history is being taught in schools. The reason for this, I believe, is the fear of offending other cultures which are not included in American History in a positive way. In some schools, there is more focus on other cultures instead of American culture. Basically there are whole months dedicated to other cultures.
I agree we should be mindful of other cultures but our main focus should be our own culture and history. We need to stop worrying about offending everyone.
Americans need to know their history first and then worry about other cultures and their history later.

Interesting....I have never in my life had to teach another culture for a month.

I have taught Ancient Civilization.
Colonization up the American Revolution
Historic Documents
Massachusetts History
Regions of the United States.

But in 10 years I have never been required to teach other cultures.

I think part of the problem is people think they know what goes on in schools, but they do not.

Anything any school teaches is completely based on State and Federal Standards.

Curriculums are based on the Frameworks set by the State Board of Education. If your school is doing what they are supposed to be doing, which is basing curriculum on the standards set forward by the state, you should begin at the state board of education before attacking your local school.

I'm a high schooler...and that article frankly shocks me. Maybe I'm naive and want my fellow students to be smarter than that.....but then I am on the school newspaper and as the article mentions those in publications are more likely to support unpopular views. :shrug: Time and time again my generation continues to embarass me. :sigh:

That's a terrible terrible thing to see. Just awful. Absolutely horrid.

The thing is that these kids(I feel funny calling them 'kids', I'm only 20 myself') don't have any frame of reference...they are told about the first amendment, but then they are very nonchalant about it because they can't fathom what the alternative is. You have to understand, many, many, high school students are completely ignorant not only of major happenings in the history of this and other countries, but of what's going on in the world right NOW. They may hear/read about world events like the war in Iraq or the Iraqi elections or see stuff on TV about it, but they're not comprehending it...they're not realizing that one of the MAJOR reasons for conflict in the Middle East is that they DON'T HAVE what we have in the first amendment. These kids just aren't being persuaded enough to start paying attention to the world in which they live.

There are several reasons for this.

One, as someone else said, many school systems are just very hesitant to allow anything that could even REMOTELY be the least bit offensive to ANYONE, to be taught in schools. They're afraid of parents finding out and getting angry and doing something about it. First of all, these parents should think about not getting so outraged whenever anything that goes against their own culture/beliefs is taught. To truely appreciate one's culture or to truely believe in this or that, one has to know why he/she doesn't appreciate or doesn't believe in the other culture or belief, and to have that knowledge, they must learn. That's step one, parents not being so sensitive to stuff like that. I'm surprised there aren't more stories about parents getting angry when students are taught about communism during the Vietnam and Cold War units(which any American history class should have).

Two, most public high schools are a joke-worthy. Trust me, I attended one until 18 months ago. Let me just say that football/basketball/baseball/whatever coaches should not be allowed to teach any kind of history class, unless of course one was a teacher before one was a coach, in which case it's ok, but that's not all that common of an occurance. There is no point in being taught about the seminal events of world history by a guy who knows nothing about it and is basically teaching by reading out of a book. Now, in contrast to that, I had in my Junior year an American History teacher who was far and away the best teacher I ever had up until college. Because he made the students in his class converse about history. He didn't lecture all that much, he just gave us reading assignments and then in class he would start conversations, ask one student what a certain event entailed, ask another why that event was important, maybe spark some debate. And if people were going in the wrong direction factually he would steer them back on course. This sort of conversational teaching is ideal for History. Schools should pay more attention to what teaching styles work best for what subjects, and when I said 'work best', I mean have the most effect on the students. Just doing that could possibly improve students' learning experience and leave them with a better understanding of what they're supposedly learning.

Third and final, I don't really think kids are encouraged/persuaded enough to keep themselves informed about the news. I don't care if you get it by reading a newspaper or by reading news online(what I do most of the time), the point is that if you are 14 or 15 or older, you are old enough to start paying attention the world you live in. Even if it's just watching the condensed and quick news pieces on the networks' evening news programs, or better yet in-depth news on CNN(or other 24-hour news networks), just keep informed. It's not hard. It's a good and important thing to do and kids are told that enough.

I was always told by my parents and a select few history teachers that the purpose of learning history and keeping up with world events is so that we don't repeat history. And that's true. This article proves it.

Last edited:
I'm with you 100%, namkcuR. The utter apathy of my peers is humiliating and frustrating. When the war in Iraq started, I was laughed at for caring so much. I still am, for politics in general. In fact last night I had a friend over and I had a bumper sticker on my wall for Mark Warner and she was like "Who's Mark Warner?" and I just kind of stared at her........"Um...he's our governor....." The sad thing is that's about par for the course. I was lucky enough to grow up under parents who wanted me to be informed and understand how the workings of the world affect me, but unfortunately that's rare. :tsk:

U2democrat said:
I'm with you 100%, namkcuR. The utter apathy of my peers is humiliating and frustrating. When the war in Iraq started, I was laughed at for caring so much. I still am, for politics in general. In fact last night I had a friend over and I had a bumper sticker on my wall for Mark Warner and she was like "Who's Mark Warner?" and I just kind of stared at her........"Um...he's our governor....." The sad thing is that's about par for the course. I was lucky enough to grow up under parents who wanted me to be informed and understand how the workings of the world affect me, but unfortunately that's rare. :tsk:

I have parents who wanted that to. My mom still reminds me to keep up with the news.

How old are you? 16? 17? So you have no way out of being part of this generation. I'm 20, born in 84, and I have an older brother born in 77...the point being I think I can just barely get away with saying I'm a 'late gen-x-er' and save myself the embarassment :wink:

Last edited:
Born in 1984....

I am going to cry....

I graduated High School in 86.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would again say that any school that is not basing their curriculum on the State Standards, they are not doing what they are supposed to be doing.

If the state is requiring month long studies of other cultures, then the school is following directions. I doubt that is what any state requitres though.

Massachusetts Frameworks have bits of other cultures mixed into areas, but they are predominantly about American History throughout. 2nd Grade is about Communitites, Thrid Grade is Massachusetts History, 4th Grade is States and regions, with Historic Places and Documents, 5th Grade is Exploration through the American Revolution, and 6th Grade is Ancient Civilizations.

I am laughing at this a bit because I have first ammendment warriors in my class. We have worked hard on the Bill of Rights in the fall, and in particular have worked on the Declaration of Independance and the Constitution last year and this year.

Dreadsox, it sounds like you are doing a great job with your class. I am glad to hear that history is such a major part of your classroom instruction. However, in most places I have worked, that is not the case.

The principals are not doing their jobs if they are not making sure the curriculum being taught is in line with the State Frameworkds.

The State frameworks are based on National Standards, so the order in which things are taught may be jumbled, but they should all be in alignment with the national Standards and hit the same topics.

I cannot say where the breakdown is where you have taught, be it state, local, or building level. I can only say that in the past ten years, we have moved from teaching whatever we would like to teach, towards a more defined standard.

I agree with you, Dread. Here in VA we have SOLs-Standards of Learning. There's something similar in most states. This testing at the end of the year puts a cap on what the teachers want to spend more time on and their creativity. They have to teach to a test instead of fully educating the students. Both students and teachers alike hate the SOLs, and I think actual learning has not been as efficient since SOLs were put into place.

This scares me. No wonder some younger people don't think I should be protesting. This is so strange, when I was in high school it was the older people who disapproved of protest politics. Now it's vice versa, the younger people don't approve of another generation's protest politics.

U2democrat said:
I agree with you, Dread. Here in VA we have SOLs-Standards of Learning. There's something similar in most states. This testing at the end of the year puts a cap on what the teachers want to spend more time on and their creativity. They have to teach to a test instead of fully educating the students. Both students and teachers alike hate the SOLs, and I think actual learning has not been as efficient since SOLs were put into place.

I disagree......

Standards of Learning have increased student achievement in students that were being passed along in school.

Standards of Learning do NOT lower creativity in teaching. Creative teachers will find a way to teach the SOL through creative means.

Teaching the SOL does not = teaching to the test. This is an example in my opinion of a staff that does not like being held accountable.

Teachers in general, loved the freedom to do whatever they wanted in their classrooms. Teachers can still do this, as long as they are finding the way to work the SOL into their teaching.

I have no sympathy for educators that claim the have to A) teach to the test and B) are having their creativity stymied by standards. it simply is not true. Good teachers, figure out a way to continue to be good teachers no matter what they are asked to teach.

this is true. but say when we miss days due to snow or in some cases hurricanes (one year the sniper :ohmy: ) then the teachers feel pressed and pressured to get things done faster and have to cancel fun activities they had previously planned. but i'm not a teacher so i'm just relaying what i hear from them :shrug:

U2democrat said:
this is true. but say when we miss days due to snow or in some cases hurricanes (one year the sniper :ohmy: ) then the teachers feel pressed and pressured to get things done faster and have to cancel fun activities they had previously planned. but i'm not a teacher so i'm just relaying what i hear from them :shrug:

Tell me about it...I just lost a week and the state testing is three months away.

I am leaving my classroom in three weeks for my six week principal internship.

Tell me about stress....for six weeks my kids are in someone elses hands.....

grrrr.....

I did not say I do not feel the pressure of State Testing....that is another thing all together,
:mad:

:hug:dread:hug:

well it goes both ways. as the teacher gets stressed about teaching the students get stressed about learning. thankfully i'm a senior and am all done with the SOLs, so my teachers in the core classes (well except AP) are much more laid back and fun.

I wonder if these kids are just acting their age, afraid to ask questions, or if they just don't pay attention. On the flipside, it could be the education they get, that's what seems to get the most blame anyhow. Of course my cluelessness is based on the fact that it's been a while since high school, and I care not to remember the maturity level at the time.

Dreadsox said:
Born in 1984....

I am going to cry....

I graduated High School in 86.

You think you're gonna cry? I got my BA in 1985... (and I had to take a bit of time off -- family issues -- so it took me five years)

And I'll be back to weigh in on "kids these days" a bit later... :rolleyes:

indra said:

You think you're gonna cry? I got my BA in 1985... (and I had to take a bit of time off -- family issues -- so it took me five years)

And I'll be back to weigh in on "kids these days" a bit later... :rolleyes:

Mom,

Is that you?

:eyebrow:

I don't even think it's necessarily that the teachers aren't doing their jobs or that the curriculum is bad (although there are obviously cases where this is true). When I was in high school (I graduated in '01) I had some great teachers but the kids in the class just didn't absorb a damned thing that they were saying, I mean they couldn't remember the most basic things like the capital of their own state even when we'd gone over it. I almost always hated being in any class that wasn't advanced or AP because of how dumbed down things were and people still weren't getting it :crack:.

Dreadsox said:

Mom,

Is that you?

:eyebrow:

Watch it, smartass! ;)

I'm not really surprised by th results of this survey though. I think the Homeland Security act and the country's support for that has a fair amount to do with it too. As a nation we've been very willing to trade freedom for security (or at least the illusion of security). For an adult, the three + years since 9/11 hasn't been that long, but for a child it's a long time and the idea of freedom of speech hasn't been as firmly instilled in them. Plus, I can't help but feel that many of these kids are parroting what they hear at home. I mean how many people do you know that are outraged that burning the flag as a form of protest is legal, or that newspapers "shouldn't be able to print that stuff"?

I believe this country has been moving in the direction of curbing personal liberties for many years now and this is simply frightening proof that it is working.

Dreadsox said:
Standards of Learning have increased student achievement in students that were being passed along in school.

Standards of Learning do NOT lower creativity in teaching. Creative teachers will find a way to teach the SOL through creative means.

Teaching the SOL does not = teaching to the test. This is an example in my opinion of a staff that does not like being held accountable.

Teachers in general, loved the freedom to do whatever they wanted in their classrooms. Teachers can still do this, as long as they are finding the way to work the SOL into their teaching.

I have no sympathy for educators that claim the have to A) teach to the test and B) are having their creativity stymied by standards. it simply is not true. Good teachers, figure out a way to continue to be good teachers no matter what they are asked to teach.

Can you relocate to the Newport Mesa School District and teach my son's 5th grade class next year?

You have a model approach to a complex system :up:

Back
Top Bottom