Free Speech - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Should free speech be limited or eradicated?
No. Like it or not, free speech is a basic right. 30 75.00%
Yes, it should be limited to some degree or standard. 8 20.00%
Yes, it should be completely eradicated. We should be told what we can and can't say. 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2002, 10:01 AM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

If they want to do something heroic, they should let the police know that they plan to deface such-and-such a billboard or advertisement at such-and-such a time and alert the media so that they can be held accountable for their actions (for better or worse).

But no, they choose a course of action that is illegal *and* cowardly, and that's what pisses me off.
If they let the police know beforehand, the anti-ad that they put up will only last, what, 2 seconds before the sirens come full-blast. That would utterly defeat the purpose, wouldn't it? Currently, their ads manage to stay up for only 1-2 days. Furthermore, apparently what they are doing is not considered vandalism by law since their messages are very easily removeable.

They are not being accountable for their actions--I agree with you on that. But to say they are cowardly? I really don't think so. They take full credit for their anti-ads, showing who are their clients/victims (choose yer term) for all to see on their website. Plus, even you ought to agree that it takes guts to take on multinational bigwigs like that. The monkey that pulls on the tiger's tail.

The only thing stopping them from being punished by the law is not that the authorities don't know who the culprits are, but that their actions don't add up to vandalism.

Old 09-06-2002, 10:23 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:31 AM
As we are discussing of Free Speech, I thought this quote from Lemonite´s post in the "Douche Tasting Poetry" thread would be read with amusement:

"*To Continue.. Bubba.. Z Edge.. TheU2.. We're living in a world of ignorant idiots.. I've got a little hint for you miss Akwana Shabazz Al-Aziz Walker.. Pick up a fucking book and learn a few more words than 'axe' and 'Talk to the Hand'.

*Where's Danospano.. He usually likes to shove his head up the asses of Harvard Professors.. Look at the recent trash coming from your University today..."

Free speech, yeah. It always surprises me how full of hate the human race can be.

Old 09-06-2002, 04:54 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:31 PM
I picked the first one. I'm very anti-censorship, and I feel as long as no physical harm is associated with what you say, you should be able to say whatever you wish.

Look at Eminem. A lot of people find him offensive...I feel that he has the right to say what he wants, even if it is harsh, so long as what he says isn't followed up by physical harm.

I don't agree with what Dr. Laura or Rush Limbaugh say at all. But they have just as much right to voice their opinions on things as I do.

I heard a quote once that went, "Words are just that-words. They're only offensive if you let them be". I agree with that-I think that's very true.

Angela
Old 09-07-2002, 08:25 AM   #19
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:31 PM
I agree with you Angela. I'm wondering though, how it is ever possible to monitor 'harm' as such, that comes from the right to speak your mind. The spoken word can be so powerful. History is full of great orators who have influenced masses in society to either good or bad. The words themselves are harmless, true, and only if we let them, but sometimes bad does come from it. No matter where we turn, the words of someone else are influencing us whether we like it or not, or are even aware of it. We dont consider it a problem until its negative influences are apparent.
Old 09-07-2002, 02:42 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I agree with you Angela. I'm wondering though, how it is ever possible to monitor 'harm' as such, that comes from the right to speak your mind. The spoken word can be so powerful. History is full of great orators who have influenced masses in society to either good or bad. The words themselves are harmless, true, and only if we let them, but sometimes bad does come from it. No matter where we turn, the words of someone else are influencing us whether we like it or not, or are even aware of it. We dont consider it a problem until its negative influences are apparent.
This is true.

In response to the question posed on the first page in the first post about whether or not it should be illegal to say negative things about America or our president or just the government in general, I don't see why it should be illegal. If I have qualms with the way America is being run, or what our president is doing, I have every right to voice those qualms, you know?

One thing I really got a kick out of was this: after September 11th, I'd be talking to people on this teen board I went to, and I had a lot of complaints about Bush and the way he was handling things in Afghanistan, as did some other people I knew, and the way some Americans had been acting in recent months on many things. And the people who supported Bush and the things we were doing in Afghanistan and all that would sit there and tell us that we were "unpatriotic" and that we should be grateful we live in such a free country, and if we didn't like it here, we could shut up and/or get out.

I was thinking, "Uh...wait a minute...", you know?

Anywho, a little off topic there for a second, but yeah, I do feel that we have every right to voice our complaints about the way things are being done in this country. To make it illegal to criticize our president or America doesn't make sense-without criticism of the way things are being done, changes wouldn't occur.

Besides, I've noticed some of the same people who got all upset when I said something negative about Bush had plenty of negative things to say about Clinton themselves, so...

Angela