For You Separation of Church & State Lovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But seriously, do you actually prefer church and state to be mixed? Has that ever worked well (especially in the long run)? For anyone?

In an ideal situation, they could have a class about the Wiccan religion, and other religious traditions as they see fit. Some districts in these parts could stand decent classes about Catholicism and why it's *not* a Satanic cult as some fundamentalists think it is. But you'd get mired in a daze of lawsuits and such claiming it's not "fair". Damn.

Wicca is total bullshit, and there should be no pandering to them as a "poor opressed minority" - they should be made the subject of ridicule.

A_Wanderer said:
Wicca is total bullshit, and there should be no pandering to them as a "poor opressed minority" - they should be made the subject of ridicule.

As opposed to you?

A_Wanderer said:

hmmm.....

I am an equal opportunity, I will be happy to mock Christian, Jew, Muslim and Hindu. In exchange everybody else much mock my beliefs and those of others - I really think the world is better off at eachothers throats, Im against people getting together.

If people took the time to scrutinize others more rather than accept them at face value the world would a much more open and better place and people would learn not to take themselves so damn seriously.

Last edited:
indra said:
But seriously, do you actually prefer church and state to be mixed? Has that ever worked well (especially in the long run)? For anyone?

228 years and counting (if you really think we have a mixed society)

paxetaurora said:
I don't think it's too far off, really. I can tick off a long list of pushes for legislation that are meant to cater only to very specific segments of the religious public. I don't even think I need to tick off a list.

You can call this partisan bullshit if you want, but I don't think it can be argued that very specific religious groups have pushed, and are pushing, for legislation or court decisions tailored to narrow interest groups based on religion. Hell, most of them, in fact, are very proud of it and wouldn't deny it.

And constituent involvement by religious people (not churches mind you, but religious people) is different than constituant involvement of others how?

When we have a Church of the United States, we will have establishment of religion.

nbcrusader said:

228 years and counting (if you really think we have a mixed society)

yeah, but I asked if it worked well.

nbcrusader said:
No shortage of people trying to get here.

No mass exodus, despite all those promises in 2000.

I'd say it works.

It sure could work a hell of a lot better. And it should.

Christianity was originally seen as a highly personal religion - a relationship between God and a human being, through his son, Jesus. The early Christians split from the Jews mainly because they did not feel that it was conducive to their salvation to fight agains the Romans - rather, they wanted to prepare their hearts for the arrival of the kingdom of heaven.

Today, the most fundamental Christians want the state to dictate to others based on Christian morality. Why? Why can they not prepare their hearts for God and leave government out of it?

Now, don't get me wrong, clearly worldwide you have other religions being just as pushy. We have fundamentalist Hinduism in India and everyone knows about Islamic fundamentalism. But Christianity differs in that it used to be something entirely different until PEOPLE decided it was their way, the only way, the one way, or the highway. Sad.

nbcrusader said:

Take the body of Jefferson's works and you may get a different conclusion. We've had other threads review this point in greater detail.

I guess it just doesn't mean what is says....

i have not read the entire body of jefferson's work, but i would be interested to know what church he would have liked to *not* be separated from government.

personally i think rather than being tolerant of all religions, we should just get rid of them all. everyone is equally wrong. i think it's time to move on.

nbcrusader said:
I know, I know, but the ACLU keeps mucking up the process.....

Yeah, DAMN those pesky civil liberties! :madspit: So much easier if we didn't have to worry about those!

Back
Top Bottom