First Joey Cheek, now Mathieu Razanakolona

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, he could have done what Cindy Klassen (the best Canadian speed skater, winner of 3 medals so far) did - agree to skate the team pursuit, but only do a couple of the heats maximum and let the rest of the team do the others. That way they could have used him strategically the way they used Cindy to advance and then go with the other skaters. Since your team consists of 5 skaters but only 3 skate at a time, it's easy to rotate people in and out from heat to heat.

I feel a lot better about Shani now. I'm pissed that the media focused so closely on Hedrick, who seems to have a personal thing against Davis, and only picked up that side of the story. They made it sound like Davis had agreed to skate the team pursuit and changed his mind last minute. It was very misleading and damaging to Davis, especially because people like me only watch speedskating during the Olympics. I guess I didn't know about Hedrick's other motives at first, that he couldn't get his five golds without Davis, who probably wouldn't have been able to skate to get his one gold if he helped Hedrick. I suppose it doesn't help that this is the first Olympics for this event, unlike swimming, skiing, and running which have always had relay events.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I'm pissed that the media focused so closely on Hedrick, who seems to have a personal thing against Davis, and only picked up that side of the story.

:up: and some people wonder why Shani didn't want to talk to the media!

can you really blame him?

(that's not directed at you livluv):wink:

the rockin edge said:

:up: and some people wonder why Shani didn't want to talk to the media!

can you really blame him?

(that's not directed at you livluv):wink:

I know, I agree. After he received his medal last night he talked to the media and was much more....approachable :wink:

anitram said:
Well, he could have done what Cindy Klassen (the best Canadian speed skater, winner of 3 medals so far) did - agree to skate the team pursuit, but only do a couple of the heats maximum and let the rest of the team do the others. That way they could have used him strategically the way they used Cindy to advance and then go with the other skaters. Since your team consists of 5 skaters but only 3 skate at a time, it's easy to rotate people in and out from heat to heat.

And if he'd done that, chances are good the heat he wouldn't have wanted to have participated in would be exactly the same one that the team lost (since it was right before his big individual event), so he'd be the bad guy anyway. And if he had done the heat and they still didn't advance he'd be accused of slacking to save himself for his individual event. :shrug:

I think what you suggest can work (and has long worked in swimming and track), but I doubt it would have made any difference in this particular situation because of the way the events were scheduled.

Just curious?

Did anyone else besides me see the interview he gave after winning the gold?

He was an ass to the reporter.

I didn't see the interview but it's probably simply a case of two guys w/ enormous egos, not exactly a rare thing :wink: The bottom line is NBC is playing the whole thing up as a male Tonya/Nancy of sorts in a lame attempt to generate interest and ratings.

Dreadsox said:
Just curious?

Did anyone else besides me see the interview he gave after winning the gold?

He was an ass to the reporter.

Yes, it was terrible, there's no excuse for that. The one he gave after receiving his medal was much better though.

capt.olyol22902211842.winter_olympics_speedskating_italy_usa_tr2_olyol229.jpg

Shani beats Headrick
again. :up:

Davis is a hero - like Rosa Parks

Those who know Davis say he's caring

February 21, 2006

BY ROMAN MODROWSKI Staff Reporter

Harvey Grossman remembers Shani Davis' confidence in bringing a lawsuit against the city of Chicago. Stephen Young remembers Davis as a sweet, mischievous young man who's inspired by the memory of Young's son.

When Davis, 23, lines up to compete for another Olympic speedskating gold medal tonight in Turin, Italy, he'll be representing distinct -- and sometimes conflicting -- qualities to various people.

To many, Davis is a symbol of immense pride as the only African-American man to win gold in the Winter Games after capturing the 1,000-meter crown Sunday.

To others, Davis is defined by perceived selfishness in deciding not to compete in a team event and by his terse interview with NBC after winning the medal.

''He carries himself with a lot of dignity,'' said Grossman, the legal director for the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois. ''He's very much his own person.''

Davis is one of three plaintiffs who brought a suit on March 24, 2003, against the city of Chicago and former police superintendent Terry Hillard. The suit alleges police stopped Davis and two other black men -- Quincy Joyner, 34, and Damien Joyner, 31 -- because of the color of their skin. Davis' incident occurred in 2001, and the Joyners were stopped in 2002, according to the suit.

''The case challenges indiscriminate street stops of young men, and there are two components to the case,'' Grossman said Monday. ''The first is to get systemic relief in the form of an injunction to get the Police Department to change its practices. They've changed a lot of them, but they have not gone the final steps. The other component is to get monetary damages for each of the individuals.''

Grossman said the case is ongoing, and he expects to try it this year.

''Shani's actively involved in the case,'' Grossman said. ''We keep him apprised of the status of the case and of negotiations.''

Grossman said the suit already has paid dividends.

''The case has been really important,'' he said. ''The police have responded by putting in place a mandatory system of keeping a record for street stops. Before, it wasn't a mandatory system.''

Davis grew up in Hyde Park and North Rogers Park. His close friend Andrew Young was killed in 1996 in Rogers Park by an alleged gang member in what was described as a case of mistaken identity.

''He's a real sweet kid,'' said Andrew's father, Stephen Young. ''When I heard that Shani said he was skating for Andrew, I called him and said, 'I didn't realize you still think about Andrew.' He said he thinks about him every day.''

Young is upset over certain media characterizations of Davis, and he was disturbed by Davis' interview with NBC.

''I sent him an e-mail right away,'' Young said. ''I thought something was wrong, something was upsetting him.

''All I can do is speculate that it had something to do with the hype they gave Chad Hedrick, who was thumping his chest about [the possibility of] winning five gold medals. And then they make Shani out to be the bad guy for not skating [in the team event]. The American media really played that up. But he had signed a letter of intent three weeks ago about what races he would compete in, and he indicated back then that he wouldn't skate [in the team event].''

Young said he shared advice with Davis about dealing with his own struggle.

''I told him I had a lot of anger and rage [after his son's murder], but over time I learned how to let it go,'' Young said. "Shani has plenty of reasons to be angry. He's been treated unfairly, was a victim of racism and slandered by jealous skaters. He was raised by a single mother in hardship. It was a real uphill struggle.

"I can see where he would have some anger. My advice was just to 'enjoy the day, baby, because you're the best damn speedskater in the world.'''

Young is sure that label will remain intact after Davis faces Hedrick tonight in the 1,500-meter event.

''The controversy will make him even more focused,'' Young said. ''He probably has steam coming from the top of his head.''

Doesn't appear to me it was Davis's job to win Hedrick a gold medal.

"Once Shani beat me, I didn't care if I got a bronze," he said. "I'm here to win. It's all or nothing." So much for medaling for USA.

Seems to me that Hedrick was there for HIS personal gold quest. Nothing wrong with that. I think the Olympics should be about personal gold, personal medals--I'm not sure I'm comfortable about this national thing. But I think Hedrick is a little disingenuous about criticizing Davis's selfishness.

I agree, it wasn't Shani's job. I think Hedrick wanted that gold for himself under the guise of wanting it for the team. Making Shani the "selfish villian" in all of this is a bunch of bs. The whole situation is very poor sportsmanship at the Olympics, which ideally shouldn't be that way.

Didn't anyone see the press conference last night, Shani said Hedrick could have given him a handshake after the race last night and then he walked off-so their "truce" didn't last. Hedrick muttered "just like Shani".

Gee guys who keep after each other and can't drop it and act like children at times. Sounds familiar :wink:

I think it is just as sad that the personal disagreement becomes lead fodder for NBC. At the end of the week, we won't remember some of the great athletic performances from Torino (especially because they didn't involve Americans), but we will remember a little feud between a couple of speed skaters.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'd like to know why NBC felt the need to show the speedskating on tape when it was held at a time when they could have shown it live.

they've been terrible.

Because then they could watch it first and decide how to twist it into Hedrick v. Davis. :mad:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Because then they could watch it first and decide how to twist it into Hedrick v. Davis. :mad:

Plus they could say "we didn't forget about the Italian guy" when they clearly would have if they had played it live. :eyebrow:

VertigoGal said:

i'm sure someone else would've loved to march out in the opening ceremonies of the olympics...what a shitty thing to do.

this is a reply to all the others that jumped on him for missing the opening ceremonies

Olympic Figure Skating Results

Feb 21, 7:15 PM (ET)

By The Associated Press

1. Sasha Cohen, Newport Beach, Calif., 66.73 (Q).

2. Irina Slutskaya, Russia, 66.70 (Q).

3. Shizuka Arakawa, Japan, 66.02 (Q).

Cohen, who is my neighbor here in the O C

skipped the Opening ceremonies, also

will you condemn her, also?

The Associated Press
Updated: 7:15 p.m. ET Feb. 22, 2006

TURIN, Italy - Shani Davis and Chad Hedrick finally shook hands Wednesday, accepted their medals and insisted they’re ready to move on from the “soap opera.”

The feuding, not-feuding American speedskaters said far too much has been made of their personal rivalry at the Turin Games. But they stopped short of saying they settled anything with a handshake during the ceremony a day after both won medals at the men’s 1,500 meters.

“I did my best, but fell a little short,” Davis said of his silver. “To me, that’s more important than the handshake.”

While it wasn’t the frosty spat of the night before, it wasn’t exactly a love-fest, either.

“Let me tell you, we’ve never been buddies,” Hedrick said. “We’ve been acquaintances but it’s never been more than that. So for people to think there’s a big problem, it was crazy.”

Hedrick, the 5,000 meter gold medalist, settled for bronze in the 1,500 Tuesday after he and Davis became so absorbed with each other that Italy’s Enrico Fabris slipped through to win the gold. Davis stormed out of a contentious press conference afterward, saying he was still upset Hedrick didn’t shake his hand after Davis won the 1,000 last Saturday.

“It started to become a soap opera in there, so I decided to leave,” Davis said.

Hedrick countered he felt betrayed by Davis when his teammate elected to sit out the team pursuit relay last week so that he could concentrate on his individual events. Hedrick, who still has one race left in Turin, hopes the conciliatory move will enable him to focus on Friday’s 10,000 meters.

“I’ve got a 10K to worry about,” Hedrick said. “He’s got two medals in his pocket so he’s done great. He’s competed at an awesome level and I hope to go and finish it for our team.”

The Americans were civil Wednesday night, smiling when they walked on stage with Fabris at Medals Plaza. Davis clapped lightly when Hedrick was introduced and seemed receptive to his rival’s handshake.

The two had not spoken to clear the air, though Davis seemed to leave the door open to the prospect after the Olympics.

“Whatever happens, happens,” Davis said. “I’m open to anything. It’s just too bad that things got blown out of proportion the way they did. It shows that we’re not perfect as human beings. None of us are perfect.”

Davis even said he’s pulling Hedrick to win the 10,000.

“I’m still rooting for him,” Davis said. “He is an American.”

Back
Top Bottom