First Joey Cheek, now Mathieu Razanakolona - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

It would be one thing if he had never participated in the team event, but he was named to that team months ago and then DAYS before the event, backed out because he didn't feel like wasting his energy for a team event doesn't. Not only is that disresepctful to his teammates, but disrespectful to other skaters who may have qualified to skate that race in his place if he'd been honest from the beginning. Sorry Jamila, but I just don't think skin color makes that kind of behavior acceptable.

Quote:
Davis, the first African-American to win a Winter Olympics gold, has said he was informed only days before the team pursuit that he was on the team and was not prepared to change his plans preparing for his best race, the 1,000 meters.

Quote:
It is interesting how everybody considers themselves an authority over what Shani should do and why he should do it. Just a reminder-- Team Davis never editorializes on what other competitors should or shouldn't do. We leave their business as private to them. However, the running commentary on Shani, whether the Chicago Tribune or some Internet know-it-all sites, never ceases.

Shani is considered medal contender in the 1000m and 1500m longtrack speedskating events. The pursuit is two days before the 1000m. Participating the in pursuit will jeopardize performance in the 1000m. Other competitors in the same situation are also choosing to forego the possibility of racing the pursuit for the same reason. I have not yet seen any media flaming those competitors.
Everybody wants to believe that Shani was going to win a medal for the pursuit team. HA! There is absolutely no evidence of this conviction. In fact, Shani has never practiced with the pursuit team. Ever so logically, those who come around only every four years have the answers. Shani may not even win a medal in those events he is favored in. Again, those who are involved at the ground level know nothing.

Old 02-19-2006, 08:43 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
no negative posts allowed

Just flow with the positive

Cause we are all one

Doesn't God command us to never respond unless it is positive and fits the mold of whatever point the author of said thread is trying to make?

Old 02-19-2006, 08:44 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila

Actually doesn't God command us to love each other?

I bet God doesn't also like people to take potshots about His commands either.

I see a redwood in your eye!

Do you need help removing it?
Old 02-19-2006, 08:46 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Davis, the first African-American to win a Winter Olympics gold, has said he was informed only days before the team pursuit that he was on the team and was not prepared to change his plans preparing for his best race, the 1,000 meters.
Well, that makes me feel better if it's true. When the story first came out on NBC I didn't think much of it, but then they kept saying he'd been named to the team months ago and decided days before to officially not compete.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:14 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

if that's true the guy's got a good point. but I can't imagine he'd only be aware of it a few days before.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:29 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Sadly, a good deal of the dispute stems from the relationship with Chad Hedrick

Quote:
"If he was part of the team pursuit, we would have had a great chance to win the gold medal," Hedrick, the world record holder in the upcoming 1,500 and 10,000 meters, told ESPN. "Like Eric Heiden said, how many days do you need to prepare for your race?"
Old 02-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

I think it is sometimes difficult to feel a part of a team when you have busted your ass to achieve something no one else has.

His mother's support....

His heritage....

The mantle of being the first....

All weighing on him...

that said...He was a total ASS when they interviewed him last night.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

my god commands me to include an excesive number of smilies after my posts
Old 02-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
my god commands me to include an excesive number of smilies after my posts
Where's the angel smilie, damn it?

(although I do like your use of the drunken smilie. Inspired! )
Old 02-20-2006, 04:03 PM   #25
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
woah woah woah... shani davis has a positive attitude?

are you nuts?

look i have the utmost respect for what he accomplished, but shani davis has turned his back on his team, including his team, the US Speedskating Association, and even the man who introduced him to the damned sport when he was a kid, all in pursuit of individual accomplishment.

hardly the olympic ideal.

I am going to agree here. My sister is very involved with the speedskating community, as a speedskating competitor on a club/TEAM level. She knows most of the US Speedskating TEAM. What Shani Davis has done is alienate himself from his TEAM, and the public doesn't know the HALF of what this and his attitude has done to affect the US TEAM. Yes, his hard work and perseverence has paid off in that he won Olympic gold, a great personal achievement as well as a notch for the US in these Turin 2006 Olympic Games; however I am embarrassed as a fellow American to sit idly watching his terse attitude and forced one word answers during press interviews following his win. I am disheartened to learn that there was even talk he wanted to blow off the official news conference if he won. (He was forced to face the Press, does this surprise anyone?) Clearly, this is a guy who worries only about himself.

I am trying not to let the disappointment in Shani Davis affect my enjoyment of watching the Olympic Games and cheering on the American TEAMS, but I must say Shani Davis does not hold a candle to Cheek or even to Hedrick (TEAM MATES!!) in what they contribute to the sport, to the Games, and in Cheek's case, what he has given back in monetary donations to underprivileged. Cheek and even Hedrick will inspire more future young athletes and TEAM athletes than Davis ever will, my opinion, based on Shani's very poor attitude which to me seems borderline unsportsmanlike.

Athletes do, though, come with different needs, motivations and personalities. Maybe, just maybe, Shani Davis should knock that chip off his shoulder before someone else does it for him.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

I must say I'm not real big on the whole team thing. And let's face it speedskating isn't exactly a team sport, it's individual sport with a manufactured "team" race in the relay. And in many ways that's what I like about it...it shows individual excellence. While relays are fun to watch, they've always seemed like a nice exrtra to me. You know, the last race of the competition and a way for people who haven't done as well as they could during the "real" races to redeem themselves. So I can't really blame Davis for not skating in the relay. Perhaps if it had been held after all the other races he would have participated.

And why isn't anyone telling Hedrick to stop his whining and just fucking skate?
Old 02-20-2006, 10:39 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I must say I'm not real big on the whole team thing. And let's face it speedskating isn't exactly a team sport, it's individual sport with a manufactured "team" race in the relay. And in many ways that's what I like about it...it shows individual excellence. While relays are fun to watch, they've always seemed like a nice extra to me. You know, the last race of the competition and a way for people who haven't done as well as they could during the "real" races to redeem themselves. So I can't really blame Davis for not skating in the relay. Perhaps if it had been held after all the other races he would have participated.
i agree

Quote:
And why isn't anyone telling Hedrick to stop his whining and just fucking skate?
someone should, it's pathetic

hedrick says davis should of raced in the team race. why? because it would've given HEDRICK the chance for another gold medal. he's just as "self centered" as davis.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:54 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230

I am disheartened to learn that there was even talk he wanted to blow off the official news conference if he won. (He was forced to face the Press, does this surprise anyone?) Clearly, this is a guy who worries only about himself.
this would hardly be the first time (not even close) an athlete didn't want to talk to the press. it doesn't not mean he is self centered or anything close

and i for one can't blame them the way the media goes after them

Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230
I must say Shani Davis does not hold a candle to Cheek or even to Hedrick (TEAM MATES!!) in what they contribute to the sport, to the Games, and in Cheek's case, what he has given back in monetary donations to underprivileged. Cheek and even Hedrick will inspire more future young athletes and TEAM athletes than Davis ever will, my opinion, based on Shani's very poor attitude which to me seems borderline unsportsmanlike.
i don't see how hedrick is any better than davis in that regard, they are both bickering and it's just lame. i don't see how hedrick is any better than davis. like shani said, "what if hedricks best event would have been right after the team event, what would he have done? we'll never know."

however what cheek has done is great and he gives a far greater impression than either davis or hedrick. he just seems happy to be doing what he's doing while hedrick is pouting like a 3 yr old and davis acts cocky. the should both grow up.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:58 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I must say I'm not real big on the whole team thing. And let's face it speedskating isn't exactly a team sport, it's individual sport with a manufactured "team" race in the relay. And in many ways that's what I like about it...it shows individual excellence. While relays are fun to watch, they've always seemed like a nice exrtra to me. You know, the last race of the competition and a way for people who haven't done as well as they could during the "real" races to redeem themselves. So I can't really blame Davis for not skating in the relay. Perhaps if it had been held after all the other races he would have participated.
Is swimming much different? Yet, it maintains a team atmosphere at many levels.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:22 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Is swimming much different? Yet, it maintains a team atmosphere at many levels.
Swimming is much more established overall, and the US is generally strong enough that the best swimmers don't have to swim the qualifying heats in the relays. We have several excellent speedskaters, but no where near the depth we have in swimming. So often this specific situation doesn't come up. The top swimmers do their individual events while the secondary swimmers swim the heats. Then the big guns come in for the final.

Of course, I've never been very big on team sports (or "team" projects in school or work either for that matter), so I can certainly understand someone not getting all excited about a recently added pseudo team event.