Executive Order - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2005, 05:08 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:02 PM
Re: Re: Re: Executive Order

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Only in FYM are market wages considered a "sacrifice". Wouldn't it be nice if we could all get paid at a premium over market.

And for every time someone tosses Halliburton as a bad thing, have they ever identified a company that was losing work to Halliburton? There simply are not many companies that can do the work required in these rebuilding efforts.
What would Halliburton do if the U.S. refused to give any contracts to them? Are they just rolling in dough from all their private contracts? Of course, it helps when your former CEO becomes vice president, right?

I'm sure there's plenty of Middle Eastern companies that could have performed the same jobs that Halliburton is doing, so your argument appears weak.

Melon

Old 09-30-2005, 05:17 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:02 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Executive Order

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I'm sure there's plenty of Middle Eastern companies that could have performed the same jobs that Halliburton is doing, so your argument appears weak.
They've never been identified. And there are few US companies capable of the work.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:20 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Executive Order

Quote:
They've never been identified. And there are few US companies capable of the work.
But, you see, that's where "bidding" could have made this more apparent. I guess we'll never know, since they got a "no bid" contract, right?

Melon
Old 09-30-2005, 05:34 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Executive Order

Quote:
But, you see, that's where "bidding" could have made this more apparent. I guess we'll never know, since they got a "no bid" contract, right?
This just proves my point. Where are the corporations complaining that they didn't get a chance to bid?

There are none.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:53 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Executive Order

Quote:
This just proves my point. Where are the corporations complaining that they didn't get a chance to bid?

There are none.
At least "none" that have hit the national news attention.

Melon
Old 09-30-2005, 11:22 PM   #51
The Fly

Local Time: 06:02 PM
The government isn't acting fast enough, so to speed up the process they offer no bid contracts. Now that's a bad thing because time wasn't taken to have a bidding war while nothing would be done in the meantime.

The Shaw Group also received a no-bid contract, and while their founder is a big lib contributor, you never hear anything about that.

Haliburton Haliburton Haliburton. Bush, Cheney. Texas. Oil. Blacks.

Yup all falling into place.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:37 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: Re: Executive Order

Quote:

At least "none" that have hit the national news attention.

Melon
Given the political use of Halliburton, it would be far more potent if the Dems had companies that could not get the work in the news. I guess they are still looking for them.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:33 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Bush Reinstating Wages for Katrina Work

By DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press WriterWed Oct 26, 1:08 PM ET

The Bush administration will reinstate rules requiring that companies awarded federal contracts for Hurricane Katrina pay prevailing wages, usually an amount close to the pay scales in local union contracts.

Rep. Peter King (news, bio, voting record), R-N.Y., was among congressmen critical of the administration's decision to waive the requirement and who met Wednesday with White House chief of staff Andrew Card. He said Card told them the wage requirement would be reinstated Nov. 8.

"We thought it was bad policy and bad politics, and I guess they accepted our argument," King told The Associated Press. "There's no need to antagonize organized labor."

King was part of a congressional delegation headed by Reps. Frank LoBiondo, R-N.J., and Steven LaTourette, R-Ohio, that met with Card.

In the immediate aftermath of Katrina, President Bush suspended provisions of the 1931 Davis-Bacon Act, which sets wages for employees on federal contracts to ensure they are not underpaid.

The administration contended the move would reduce rebuilding costs and help open opportunities to minority-owned companies, but unions and other critics said it would result in lower pay for workers.