Elephant Painting To Protest Poverty And Injustice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I fail to see the connection, I guess I'm just too stupid. And I have to agree that painting an elephant is unnecessary and abusive, elephants were not meant to be painted. Just like dogs weren't meant to be dyed pink or any other color, I can't stand that. You wouldn't go around painting people without their permission. An animal can't give permission. In the name of art or political statement we don't have to mistreat and abuse what is already an artform, a beautiful animal. What makeup is put on an elephant for a movie? Certainly not anything like that paint job.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5355638.stm

An exhibition by headline-grabbing UK artist Banksy has been criticised for including a live painted elephant.

The animal, called Tai, was covered in pink and gold paint and placed in a mocked-up house to represent how world poverty is widely ignored.

Officials from the Los Angeles Animal Services Department told the Associated Press they would never again issue permits for such a "frivolous" purpose.

The elephant's owner said the dye was non-toxic and welfare was paramount.

Ed Boks, head of Animal Services in Los Angeles, said: "I think it sends a very wrong message that abusing animals is not only OK, it's an art form.

"We find it no longer acceptable to dye baby chicks at Easter, but it's OK to dye an elephant."

_42099402_banksy_203_ap.jpg

"The elephant in the room," I guess, is the idea...?

There's also a saying of "The pink elephant in the corner," but I don't know what that one means or why I even know it.

I think they could've done the same thing and made the same point without painting the elephant...silliness.

yolland said:
"The elephant in the room," I guess, is the idea...?

There's also a saying of "The pink elephant in the corner," but I don't know what that one means or why I even know it.

I think the pink reiterates the idea of something being obivous - ie. a Large elephant is hard to overlook, but a large PINK elephant is even harder to overlook. And yes this has nothing to do with the large multicoloured elephant in the story, I have nothing relevent to contribute lol.

Back
Top Bottom