Does anyone else find this more than a little disturbing?? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2007, 01:01 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:54 PM
Does anyone else find this more than a little disturbing??

The first paragraph is VERY tame in comparison to what follows, so please bear with me. Read this bit and then look at the picture link and you'll see what I mean...
Quote:
"In the 1930s we meet a young couple, Ethel and William. Ethel wore the shapeless dresses of the 1920s, had short hair, and didn't wear a corset, high heels, or earrings.Whenever William saw a woman who did wear any of them, if she was wore a corset. The corset that Will ordered without Ethel's knowledge had a waist size of 20". At first Ethel was not happy with this corset because not only was it long, its stays were extra stiff. She could not move her body easily.

Ethel soon became accustomed to this corset, which gave her a beautiful figure. Pain and discomfort [...] were not a problem in order to please Will."
Now, be brave. Go look: http://www.ethelgranger.com/index.html

Then, 'Will' ordered corsets for her while she was pregnant:

[quote]I ordered a the corsets, for Ethel without her knowledge, with a 20 inch waist, a regular listed size. (They could be got down to 19 inches waist without need of a special order.) In fact I also ordered a pair of the elastic inserted ones for her maternity wear in the later stages of pregnancy.

I told her that I had said before we married that I wanted her to wear real corsets. She picked them up, took one look at the colour, shape and size, felt the boning, then flow into a rage.

I had told her that was one of the attractions I had given up when I came to her from Mary who had worn corsets of that kind for years without harm.

Even then she stormed and wept, as she surveyed herself in the glass, saying that she could never go out like that, for she felt imprisoned and rigidly confined, so unable to bend... I was delighted with the improvement and had no hesitation in telling her so. I

. I said, ““This is so much nicer to hold you now. I love the feeling of firmness and stiffness. Besides, your waist is now so well defined and your breasts supported in the right position, I can feel them near me. At last you look like I hoped you might.”

She said, “Do you love your little Effie now she has given in for you?" [quote]

The fool's explanation? "Perhaps my interest in these things came from my early reading, in particular I remember old illustrated Fox's Book of Martyrs in which were illustrations of all kinds of fiendish tortures done in the name of religion. The tortures were horrible but in a way stimulating..."
http://biography.ethelgranger.com/00...801/index.html

OH MY GIDDY AUNT BELINDA. What a lovely, romantic story - I DON'T THINK. Ugh! Had I been Ethel, I would have booted Will firmly into the middle of next week - while wearing those huge high heels that he loved so much, of course.

As for the website: it asks "what inspires someone to strive for the smallest waist on earth?" Body dysmorphic disorder, perhaps?!

Old 06-29-2007, 01:09 AM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:54 AM
Well this has gone on since the dawn of time. There has always been a domination of what women's asthetic should look like, from foot binding to corsets...

It still happens today. Believe it or not those high heels you are wearing are absolutely horrible for your health. I've known girls, not even in their 30s that have had to had surgery on their feet due to the footwear they "choose" to wear. Not to mention what it does to your spine...

Old 06-29-2007, 01:17 AM   #3
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Well this has gone on since the dawn of time. There has always been a domination of what women's asthetic should look like, from foot binding to corsets...

It still happens today. Believe it or not those high heels you are wearing are absolutely horrible for your health. I've known girls, not even in their 30s that have had to had surgery on their feet due to the footwear they "choose" to wear. Not to mention what it does to your spine...
Agreed, but it's totally different. That is nowhere near the same as bullying your wife into reducing her waist to 13 inches when she didn't want it in the first place. This is far more extreme and far more unhealthy.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:22 AM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by sallycinnamon78

Agreed, but it's totally different. That is nowhere near the same as bullying your wife into reducing her waist to 13 inches when she didn't want it in the first place. This is far more extreme and far more unhealthy.
Yes I understand, but my point is that that bullying from ancient times(such as foot binding, etc.) still exists in one form or another...
Old 06-29-2007, 01:24 AM   #5
New Yorker

Quote:

Yes I understand, but my point is that that bullying from ancient times(such as foot binding, etc.) still exists in one form or another...
Ah. You're right about that of course. Sorry for misunderstanding - I've been up all night with insomnia and my brain went to bed a long time ago!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:03 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:54 PM
That is disturbing, but now some women just starve themselves to look like that. Same thing, different time.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

All to attract and please their men, I'm thinking. As my friend Kevin (who is a woman) says, at least once a day, "Men are idiots."

Don't get me wrong: I like men (a lot!!). But men and women just think differently.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MsPurrl
All to attract and please their men, I'm thinking. As my friend Kevin (who is a woman) says, at least once a day, "Men are idiots."

Don't get me wrong: I like men (a lot!!). But men and women just think differently.
But doesn't the fact that women are willing to go along with some of these things say something as well?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
New Yorker

Quote:

But doesn't the fact that women are willing to go along with some of these things say something as well?
Indeed!
Old 06-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MsPurrl

Men are idiots because women do stupid things to please them?

That doesn't sound like an intelligent statement.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

The thinness issue is a societal thing and something psychological that goes on within women, I don't blame them for that because I know what it's like and I feel it too. It's much bigger than "men being idiots" or "women doing stupid things or going along with it". But in some cases perhaps some women do do it in large part to be attractive to men, as many men aren't attracted to someone who is "overweight"-and by today's standards well that can be a strange and scary standard. It's rather ironic for someone to comment on it who says that Katie Couric is overweight.

When we're talking about anorexia that is a complex issue with numerous causes, but body image issues take many forms other than anorexia and bulimia, etc.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:20 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

Women who have so little self-esteem that they do things merely to please/attract men are idiots, too!

Everyone is an idiot in his/her own way.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I think the point was that men are stupid with their expectations of women and their shallowness.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:54 PM
I don't understand how it's stupid to have a narrow view of who's attractive. It can't be helped. If you're going to take the blame off of women for doing stupid things because society expects it of them maybe you should consider the fact that men find thin women attractive because society says thin women are attractive.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I don't understand how it's stupid to have a narrow view of who's attractive. It can't be helped. If you're going to take the blame off of women for doing stupid things because society expects it of them maybe you should consider the fact that men find thin women attractive because society says thin women are attractive.

It IS stupid to have a narrow view of who's attractive. It's stupid to value looks as much as many men do. And it can be helped. It can be helped by growing up and trying to find real values in women.

It's not smart for women to conform themselves to society's view of how they should exactly be, but you seemed to take all blame off men. It's responsibility to both of them.