Disrespectful? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2005, 03:49 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Who cares if its disrespectful - it's funny.

Their names are different than our names
on second thought
you are probably right

when these people come to America they should take a white man's name like there ancestors did

Old 12-31-2005, 03:53 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24
Stupid.

Lighten up.

?

Old 12-31-2005, 04:38 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:18 AM
Now wheres the fun in having a mono-culture?

Joking about not being able to pronounce a name properly is more of a burn on the people that can't pronounce it than the indiviudal with the surname.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:30 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

?

Let me rephrase, I probably wasn't clear in that last post.

Being upset because someone told a corny joke about your name is stupid. There was nothing particularly racist or offending about the joke, and if someone thinks that there is, I really think that they're just looking for things to be offended by.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:47 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

That's the beauty of playing the race card - it puts you on the defensive no matter what you were thinking.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:55 PM   #21
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:18 PM
Quote:
Joking about not being able to pronounce a name properly is more of a burn on the people that can't pronounce it than the indiviudal with the surname.
Exactly my point.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all! (It's now 1am here. I'm getting very drunk with my housemates.)
Old 12-31-2005, 11:54 PM   #22
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Face it, it no long matter what people were thinking. All that matters to raise an argument is the idea that someone's feelings could have been hurt.
I really don't like to offend anybody. When I was younger, I used to get cross with people who criticised what I thought 'political correctness' was, as back then I interpreted the term as meaning not stereotyping people with insulting names and labels. (I didn't realise how satirical the phrase was at that point.) I'm still all for being sensitive and inclusive - that's how society should be. So I'm not arguing with the point you made there, nb.BUT I feel it's all gone too far. As I said before, barely anyone in the States could pronounce my surname. I didn't decide that they were being insulting to anyone of Indian descent because of that. That would have been paranoid and stupid of me.

Seems to me that someone somewhere is going to feel personally offended, for some reason or other, by anything these days. Here are a few examples:
Quote:
"An Asian officer has complained that using the name "Black Museum" for the Metropolitan Police's famous archive of crime artefacts is racist.

Pc Zahid Malik, from Nottinghamshire Police, said the use of the word black in an article in the police magazine The Sharp End was questionable.

The editor of the publication responded to Pc Malik's letter saying: "There was no intention to offend."

The Crime Museum features gory exhibits from famous cases dating back to 1875.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4569006.stm
Well. The phrase "Black Museum" has traditionally referred to its funereal nature, and is not connected with the ethnic origin of its exhibits! What of the 'Black Country' (the industrial west Midlands)? Its name came from the smoke of thousands of ironworking foundries and forges, not to mention 30ft thick coal seams. Is that offensive now?

I'm of Asian-British descent too, but I can't really understand the complainant's mindset. I know we're all different, but is this really necessary?

Having spent years in Ennis, I never met any Irish people who objected to the common phrase "taking the mickey". I remember, many years ago, using this phrase while chatting with two (very 'English') staff members at the hostel I lived in. I was stunned when one of them told me off. I pointed out that I was used to being called a 'paki', alongside various other charming epithets, because of my skin colour, and wouldn't deliberately upset anyone else. The other staff member solved the problem by suggesting I replace "taking the mickey" with ''taking the piss''.

Here's another little gem:
Quote:
"In 2003 the United Kingdom's Teacher Training Agency advised trainees to use the term "thought shower" instead of "brainstorm" to avoid offending epileptics. The Daily Telegraph was unable to find anyone in the epileptic community that objected to the word "brainstorm." "
My sister is epileptic and she finds the idea of being offended by the word 'brainstorm' hilarious.

Where does this nonsense end?