Did the punishment fit the crime?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BluRmGrl said:
Just read through this story on MSN.com - I certainly can agree with the possible dangers of this woman's actions, but seeing as how none of them actually happened, I feel the state of Virginia was waaay too aggressive on this. What are your thoughts???

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17212960/

Edited to add: I'm an idiot. :reject: I meant to Edit to my original post, but Quoted it instead. :rolleyes:

I guess it kind of hinges on their interpretation of a missile. Obviously she intended to do it and admits to doing it. I suppose sentencing should vary based on the type of "missile", but what if the soda splashed in the driver's eyes and he caused a terrible pile-up?

A weird situation, any way you look at it.

A missile? They were way too easy on her. US armed forces should invade this new axis of evil member immediately

^ :giggle:

Angela Harlem said:
The law has to be very careful when deciding to sentence on vast 'what if's'.

That was my concern with the sentencing. Granted, it was childish and unneccesary but she didn't CAUSE any of the potential damages - at worst beyond community service, she should pay resitution for the plaintiff's damages to his auto upholstery and personal drycleaning, along with some punitive damages of maybe no more than $1000. But 2 years in jail????

Meanwhile, we all know of a murderer or rapist, etc. who've walked out of the court room free to harm again because of some asinine technicality. Is this the justice system we really want? :no:

Ridiculous. Her lawyer should have made a stronger argument about the definition of a "missile" - seems contrary to both legislative intent and public policy to classify the drink as such.

To put this in perspective, the person who masterminded the Bali bombings which resulted in the death of 100's of people got off easier than the McMissle thrower. Wow this world is fucked.

Stupid thing to do, and I think the guy is a weasel for taking it to this level (telling a cop, having her arrested etc)...but that's the law. Did it say the jury had any choice as to sentence? Hopefully the judge will reduce it.

CTU2fan said:
Stupid thing to do, and I think the guy is a weasel for taking it to this level (telling a cop, having her arrested etc)...but that's the law. Did it say the jury had any choice as to sentence? Hopefully the judge will reduce it.

According to the article, the plaintiff (victim/asshole/whatever :D ) was himself shocked to find out the woman was charged with a felony. I even got the impression that if he'd known that, he wouldn't have bothered even calling the police.

:shrug: Maybe I'm reading to much into his comments, though.

BluRmGrl said:

According to the article, the plaintiff (victim/asshole/whatever :D ) was himself shocked to find out the woman was charged with a felony. I even got the impression that if he'd known that, he wouldn't have bothered even calling the police.

I wouldn't necessarily blame him just for calling the police. If someone threw a cup of soda into my car for a reason not apparent to me, I'd probably do the same thing. If it got inside the dashboard and shorted everything out, I'd want a record to prove someone else caused that damage.

I still think that in this case, the problem lies with some soda and ice being considered a "missile" in the same category as say, a brick, a steel rod, or some other projectile intended to maim.

Sharp shards of ice from the drink could've penetrated the man's brain, causing instant death, loss of control of the car, and resulted in a 20 car pileup and 30 fatalities.

Ice should be banned.

Liesje said:

If someone threw a cup of soda into my car for a reason not apparent to me

I suspect the reason was apparent to him though. He said he was "maneuvering through the stalled traffic." I don't buy that. Doesn't make what the "missle thrower" did right at all, but I bet the "victim" was being a complete jackass.

indra said:

I suspect the reason was apparent to him though. He said he was "maneuvering through the stalled traffic." I don't buy that. Doesn't make what the "missle thrower" did right at all, but I bet the "victim" was being a complete jackass.

True, but then it's just he-said-she-said. Their stories don't match, so throw them both out and look at what we KNOW happened: she got pissed, drove over on the shoulder, and threw soda into his car. Unfortunately for her, soda is considered a missile (the part I find ridiculous). If he wasn't issued a traffic citation for what she says he did, we can't assume she is correct (though I think she is...we've all been in her situation).

Back
Top Bottom