Death Penalty for Juveniles Ruled Unconstitutional! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2005, 01:56 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:54 AM
in Southern CA we have had a rash of car chases covered by local channels with helicopters crews

many are saying that their are so many because of the coverage
and want it not aired

Old 03-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
in Southern CA we have had a rash of car chases covered by local channels with helicopters crews

many are saying that their are so many because of the coverage
and want it not aired
That won't stop car chases. Getting rid of the stuff you see on TV won't solve the problems...they'll still be there, we'll just be basically sweeping them under the rug and acting like they don't exist.

Angela

Old 03-01-2005, 02:02 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:54 AM
not talking about stopping

just reducing

there seems to be a proliferation with the coverage
Old 03-01-2005, 03:50 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:54 AM
I hope Malvo develops lots of good friends in prison.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:42 AM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:54 AM
Good, now if we can just get Capital Punishment itself abolished. It is barbaric, hypocritical, not at all a deterent, and wrong. Period.

As for the idea that the media is responsible for kids being violent....no. That's not true, at least not the way a lot of people want to say it is. To say that if a kid sees a violent movie with lots of gunfighting and such, that he or she will then go out and get a gun and commit a crime, is ridiculous. Same goes for video games and music and whatever else you can think of. Take Columbine, for example. Those two guys apparently were fans of 'The Matrix', and in the media that was played out as being a reason why they did what they did. Which is crap. How many millions and millions of people saw the Matrix? And how many of those millions and millions went on to commit violent crimes? I rest my case. The fact is, if a kid sees a movie, plays a video game, hears a song, and is influenced by what he or she sees/hears in it, to commit a crime, then they had pre-existing problems, namely that their parents haven't properly taught them that shooting people is wrong, etc etc. It's also about having a good support system and not being angry. An angry kid that feels neglected and unwanted will be more likely to be influenced by such movies/games/music. That is a fact.

I'm lucky enough to have parents who have a thirty year togetherness/marriage, a great family/support system. Guess what? I own all three Die Hard movies, both Rush Hour movies on DVD, watched them countless times in my life. I've seen all the Lethal Weapon movies and Matrix movies and so on and so forth. I've seen a LOT of violent movies. I have played some VERY violent video games, the kind where you can see blood coming out of your victims, and you have arrays of 50 guns to choose from. I have seen Beavis and Butthead burn down a house and commit other crimes. I have heard my share of rap music(although it is one of my least favorite types of music), I've heard some really bad lyrics in my time. All of that, and I have never, ever commited a crime in my life. Never even wanted to. And I am not alone in that situation of having been exposed to media violence like that and not being influenced about it.

People who say that the media is to blame for teenage violence and whatnot are missing the real problem. It's about having a good set of parents, a good support system. It's about feeling like you are loved and cared about and appreciated. Trust me, I have seen examples in my life of kids who didn't have that support system, didn't have that love, who went down some pretty bad, dark roads. And the media had nothing to do with it.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:47 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
Good, now if we can just get Capital Punishment itself abolished. It is barbaric, hypocritical, not at all a deterent, and wrong. Period.

As for the idea that the media is responsible for kids being violent....no. That's not true, at least not the way a lot of people want to say it is. To say that if a kid sees a violent movie with lots of gunfighting and such, that he or she will then go out and get a gun and commit a crime, is ridiculous. Same goes for video games and music and whatever else you can think of. Take Columbine, for example. Those two guys apparently were fans of 'The Matrix', and in the media that was played out as being a reason why they did what they did. Which is crap. How many millions and millions of people saw the Matrix? And how many of those millions and millions went on to commit violent crimes? I rest my case. The fact is, if a kid sees a movie, plays a video game, hears a song, and is influenced by what he or she sees/hears in it, to commit a crime, then they had pre-existing problems, namely that their parents haven't properly taught them that shooting people is wrong, etc etc. It's also about having a good support system and not being angry. An angry kid that feels neglected and unwanted will be more likely to be influenced by such movies/games/music. That is a fact.

I'm lucky enough to have parents who have a thirty year togetherness/marriage, a great family/support system. Guess what? I own all three Die Hard movies, both Rush Hour movies on DVD, watched them countless times in my life. I've seen all the Lethal Weapon movies and Matrix movies and so on and so forth. I've seen a LOT of violent movies. I have played some VERY violent video games, the kind where you can see blood coming out of your victims, and you have arrays of 50 guns to choose from. I have seen Beavis and Butthead burn down a house and commit other crimes. I have heard my share of rap music(although it is one of my least favorite types of music), I've heard some really bad lyrics in my time. All of that, and I have never, ever commited a crime in my life. Never even wanted to. And I am not alone in that situation of having been exposed to media violence like that and not being influenced about it.

People who say that the media is to blame for teenage violence and whatnot are missing the real problem. It's about having a good set of parents, a good support system. It's about feeling like you are loved and cared about and appreciated. Trust me, I have seen examples in my life of kids who didn't have that support system, didn't have that love, who went down some pretty bad, dark roads. And the media had nothing to do with it.

Angela