Could I bring the KKK to speak in public schools during Black History Month? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 02:52 AM
Could I bring the KKK to speak in public schools during Black History Month?

Because I think that's certainly the precedent that this sets.

http://www.365gay.com/Newscon07/04/041307schoolsuit.htm

Quote:
School Sued Over Anti-Gay Protest
by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

Posted: April 13, 2007 - 7:00 pm ET

(Allendale, New Jersey) An Allendale student is suing Northern Highlands Regional High School alleging it violated his civil rights when it told him he could not organize an event to counter The National Day of Silence - the annual day when LGBT students and their supporters draw awareness to homophobia in classrooms by keeping silent in school.

This year The National Day of Silence will be observed on April 18.

Jason Aufiero, an evangelical Christian and a senior at Northern Highlands, wanted to organize a "Day of Truth" on school grounds to present what his attorney's the conservative Christian Alliance Defense Fund calls the Bible-based position "that homosexual behavior is immoral."

The Arizona-based ADF, in its lawsuit on Aufiero's behalf, alleges that the school and its administrators attempted to derail the event, violating Aufiero's rights to free speech and the free exercise of religion.

The school disputes that it attempted to cancel the event but says it has reservations about some of the material Aufiero intended to distribute on school property.

"He is going to be able to have his Day of Truth and do whatever he is legally entitled to do," Superintendent Robert McGuire told the Daily Record.

McGuire said principal John Keenan had asked Aufiero's parents to come in for a meeting to discuss the event. But they refused, instead going to the ADF to file suit.

Earlier this month a high school in Danbury, Connecticut rescinded its ban on an ex-gay preacher after the AFD threatened to take the school district to court.

The student Bible-study group at Danbury High School had invited Valerie Pinnex, a North Carolina pastor who considers herself to be a "former homosexual", to speak at an event at the school leading up to "The Day of Truth", a conservative Christian response to the Day of Silence.

Danbury High Principal Catherine Richard initially objected saying the event was "too controversial".

After the school caved in to the ADF demand the law firm issued a warning to schools across the country that if they observe The National Day of Silence they face legal action if they bar speakers opposed to homosexuality.

A study released by the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network to coincide with last year's National Day of Silence, showed that homophobia is widespread in the nation's schools.

Nearly one-in-five students reported they had been physically assaulted because of their sexual orientation and over a tenth because of their gender expression.

Three-quarters of students surveyed said that over the past year they heard derogatory remarks such as "faggot" or "dyke" frequently or often at school, and nearly nine out of ten reported hearing "that's so gay" or "you're so gay" - meaning stupid or worthless - frequently or often.

Over a third of students said they experienced physical harassment at school on the basis of sexual orientation and more than a quarter on the basis of their gender expression.

The study also showed that bullying has had a negative impact on learning.
So does this mean that white supremacists' civil rights are being violated if racist speakers are barred from speaking in public schools during Black History Month?

Are laws that ban protests during worship services an unconstitutional abridgment of free speech?

Or is this just yet another example of double standards against gays in America?

Old 04-14-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:52 PM
Ban both, no double standard.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
So I'm guessing you're not a fan of Black History Month then?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Re: Could I bring the KKK to speak in public schools during Black History Month?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ormus

Or is this just yet another example of double standards against gays in America?
Just another double standard...
Old 04-14-2007, 10:37 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Quote:
Jason Aufiero, an evangelical Christian and a senior at Northern Highlands, wanted to organize a "Day of Truth" on school grounds to present what his attorney's the conservative Christian Alliance Defense Fund calls the Bible-based position "that homosexual behavior is immoral."
What exactly is the immoral homosexual behavior being commited here?

Being silent?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

So I'm guessing you're not a fan of Black History Month then?
I have no strong opinion one way or another; but then I have no history to do with it whatsoever.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:51 PM   #7
War Child

Quote:
I have no strong opinion one way or another; but then I have no history to do with it whatsoever.
So unless you're personally affected, we should just summarily ban everything?
Old 04-14-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

No, I as an Australian with no ancestors who came via America I don't have an opinion on Black History Month because it has nothing to do with my countries history or any of my ancestors. Slavery was a shaping force in your country and the history of it encompasses both white and black - for better of worse (thats not a statement of support for slavery). I suppose a comparable issue would be how the Australian public system treats colonisation and aboriginal history and it would be fair to say that it is very politically correct across the board.

Now in the case of public schools and what should be allowable I guess it should be more clearly defined; I don't think that exclusive and bigoted events should be allowed to take place on public property (so no hate groups) and I do think that there is ample precedent of events that are inclusive being held (so allowing speakers against homophobia seems alright) and this drags in the issue of religious freedoms in a US public school so the answer is obvious, call a constitutional lawyer
Old 04-14-2007, 11:28 PM   #9
War Child

Quote:
Now in the case of public schools and what should be allowable I guess it should be more clearly defined; I don't think that exclusive and bigoted events should be allowed to take place on public property (so no hate groups) and I do think that there is ample precedent of events that are inclusive being held (so allowing speakers against homophobia seems alright) and this drags in the issue of religious freedoms in a US public school so the answer is obvious, call a constitutional lawyer
Good. This is a lot more clear than this:

Quote:
Old 04-14-2007, 11:29 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:52 AM
Re: Could I bring the KKK to speak in public schools during Black History Month?

Quote:

So does this mean that white supremacists' civil rights are being violated if racist speakers are barred from speaking in public schools during Black History Month?

Are laws that ban protests during worship services an unconstitutional abridgment of free speech?

I don't know if this would stand up in court, but I'd say prohibit the "Day of Truth" from conducting their event to coincide with the Day of Silence, just out of respect. It seems like such a basic thing, respect. But it seems to be getting lost in the shuffle these days.

As to whether they could hold their event at some other time. . .that's a bit more dicey.

I'm just a little bit disturbed that I sense that various Religious Right legal groups are bringing up issues on purpose in the schools to get their agenda into the public schools (remember the whole 4th grader with the brochures? The whole way the mother handled that just stank of someone trying to create a legal situation). It's not that I don't think it's their right. . .perhaps it is, but to me it is so plainly against the spirit of Christ.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:51 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Yes.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:56 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

What exactly is the immoral homosexual behavior being commited here?

Being silent?
That's my question. What are they protesting against?
Old 04-15-2007, 12:02 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Not necessarily. Laws that prevent the DISRUPTION of worship services which is what is suggested here, should not be considered abridgement of free speech.

Laws that prevent silent protesting in front a church, say during a worship service WOULD be an a violation of the protesters free speech.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:16 AM   #14
War Child

Re: Re: Could I bring the KKK to speak in public schools during Black History Month?

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean
I don't know if this would stand up in court, but I'd say prohibit the "Day of Truth" from conducting their event to coincide with the Day of Silence, just out of respect. It seems like such a basic thing, respect. But it seems to be getting lost in the shuffle these days.
But should the "Day of Truth" even be allowed in schools at all? I think it comes down to "exclusive" versus "inclusive." This "event" only exists to antagonize, belittle and demean a minority group; in other words, it exists solely to make a mockery out of the sentiments behind the Day of Silence.

And it's that antagonism and mockery that makes me say that it sets a horrible precedent. Racist events coinciding with Black History Month would never be allowed. An event commemorating the anniversary of the Holocaust would never allow a neo-Nazi Holocaust denier to come up afterwards and tell students that the Holocaust never existed. And, yet, here we have a group of fundamentalist Protestants who are essentially demanding their right to both antagonize gays like a racist would during Black History Month and deny the existence of homosexuals, contrary to all credible scientific and psychiatric evidence, like a Holocaust denier would during a Holocaust memorial service.

And that's what makes me so angry about this!
Old 04-15-2007, 12:27 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Yeah, I would also question the appropriateness of such an event at school at any time, but I definitely feel that it would be wrong to have it coincide with the Day of Silence.