Conscientious Objector Policy Act - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2004, 09:20 AM   #1
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:59 AM
Conscientious Objector Policy Act

http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/04/042204MichMed.htm

Under this bill, which was passed in Michigan, health care providers (except for emergency providers) may decline to provide health care to anyone on religious or moral grounds.

This seems really wrong to me somehow; I mean, what if you were (say) a black person living in a town of white supremacists, and every doctor in town refused to treat you? How is this going to be helpful or just to anyone?

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:31 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:59 AM
I think what this was meant for was to protect people from being forced to give treatments that are against their beliefs. I've heard of nurses being fired for refusing to help with abortions. Two nurses walked out of the operating room just before a surgery to remove a living, smiling eating Siamese twin. The baby had two heads, both named, and had developed seperate personalities. They also had seperate necks and shoulders and arms, but shared a heart and other internal organs and doctors recommended 'removing' one of the 'heads' to relieve stress on the organs and give the other a chance for a longer life. The nurses objected and felt they were killing a baby. I don't know if they were fired. Also, some scientologists are opposed to blood transfusions. I don't think this is a case of, I hate him so I don't have to treat him.

Old 04-24-2004, 09:32 AM   #3
New Yorker

Wow, that is really out there. I can't believe they are enacting state sponsored discrimination bills in this century

Canada is looking better all the time.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:59 AM
The problem is that this bill, I think, will do far more than prevent cases such as the one U2Kitten mentioned. The bill allows providers to refuse on any religious or moral grounds, meaning that, for example, a doctor could decline to treat an HIV-positive patient because he or she believes HIV is a scourge from God (people do believe it, though thankfully they are a small minority).

One might argue that because medical professionals are highly educated, they are less prone to outright biases. However, I am sure there are a few doctors out there who are bigoted against, say, gay people, Jews, Muslims, persons who are sexually active outside marriage...(the list goes on). While I'm sure that the bill is meant to protect providers in situations such as the one U2Kitten mentioned, I think its provisions are far too broad and might indeed result in some sad situations.

Bottom line, it is not about promoting health and well-being; it is one more way to stigmatize already-stigmatized minorities at the whim of a single person.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

IMO, if you are so ultra religious that you do not believe in performing certain duties of your work, you picked the wrong job. I work in a lab, and any lab that deals with animals (mice, rabbits, hamsters, etc) or deals with things like stem cells will tell you at the point of your interview, and the PI will point blank ask you whether or not you have objections to working there. If you do, you have no place seeking employment there.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:44 PM   #6
you are what you is

Local Time: 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
IMO, if you are so ultra religious that you do not believe in performing certain duties of your work, you picked the wrong job.
yep, I would guess everyone knows what they are getting themselves into when they decide to taek a certain job
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-24-2004, 03:18 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

But you have to admit now, taking an extra head off a Siamese twin is something no one could have forseen in nursing school.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:33 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:59 AM
you forsaw it

please unlearn that term

conjoined twins is what I believe you meant to say.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:40 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Oh excuse me if I'm not as politically correct as the rest of you. But I still say, someone should not avoid a career in medicine because one day 10 years from now something like that may come up. That's outrageous.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:53 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Pax,

The article is not that long.

I am going to post it.

Quote:
Michigan Preparing To Let Doctors Refuse To Treat Gays
by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

Posted: April 21, 2004 8:14 p.m. ET

(Lansing, Michigan) Doctors or other health care providers could not be disciplined or sued if they refuse to treat gay patients under legislation passed Wednesday by the Michigan House.

The bill allows health care workers to refuse service to anyone on moral, ethical or religious grounds.

The Republican dominated House passed the measure as dozens of Catholics looked on from the gallery. The Michigan Catholic Conference, which pushed for the bills, hosted a legislative day for Catholics on Wednesday at the state Capitol.

The bills now go the Senate, which also is controlled by Republicans.

The Conscientious Objector Policy Act would allow health care providers to assert their objection within 24 hours of when they receive notice of a patient or procedure with which they don't agree. However, it would prohibit emergency treatment to be refused.

Three other three bills that could affect LGBT health care were also passed by the House Wednesday which would exempt a health insurer or health facility from providing or covering a health care procedure that violated ethical, moral or religious principles reflected in their bylaws or mission statement.

Opponents of the bills said they're worried they would allow providers to refuse service for any reason. For example, they said an emergency medical technicians could refuse to answer a call from the residence of gay couple because they don't approve of homosexuality.

Rep. Chris Kolb (D-Ann Arbor) the first openly gay legislator in Michigan, pointed out that while the legislation prohibits racial discrimination by health care providers, it doesn't ban discrimination based on a person's sexual orientation.

"Are you telling me that a health care provider can deny me medical treatment because of my sexual orientation? I hope not," he said.

"I think it's a terrible slippery slope upon which we embark," said Rep. Jack Minore (D-Flint) before voting against the bill.

Paul A. Long, vice president for public policy for the Michigan Catholic Conference, said the bills promote the constitutional right to religious freedom.

"Individual and institutional health care providers can and should maintain their mission and their services without compromising faith-based teaching," he said in a written statement.

After reading the article,

I find it disgusting.

The people who support it have no trouble condemning Islamist extremists for their bigotry.

Yet they use there so call religious / moral beliefs for

Guiltfree Hate.

Shameful!
Old 04-24-2004, 04:39 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Oh excuse me if I'm not as politically correct as the rest of you. But I still say, someone should not avoid a career in medicine because one day 10 years from now something like that may come up. That's outrageous.
No this law is outrageous. You'll have people denying birth control, denying to help anyone they feel unfit, etc. It's discusting.

You go into to the medical field to help people, not to judge or play God. If you don't want to perform abortions, don't work for a place that performs them.

What comes next Policemen get to decide which cases they work on according to their religious beliefs, Firemen get to discriminate which ones they save from a burning building, or maybe we should just start allowing Judges to decide hearings due to his own religious beliefs and throw out the law.

This is f##ked.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:51 PM   #12
BAW
The Flower

Well said BVS....if you have a particular religuous belief that would prevent you from carrying out certain duties or procedures, you damn well better find out if you will be required to do them before you are hired. If you have a problem doing it, go somewhere else.

This is disgusting.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:23 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm embarrassed by the actions of "Catholic" groups. What an utter shame.

I'm glad that I left Michigan, and that I made my small contribution to their long-running "brain drain" problem, because, with legislation like that, it clearly deserves it.

I've grown so numb from how stupid this nation is becoming...

Melon
Old 04-24-2004, 11:41 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Welcome to wonderful world of right-wing religious fanatics.
As long as Bush is in office, these groups will continue
to try to control the US. They're in the pocket of Bush
and many other congressmen and women.
Separation of church and state? Now, that's a "liberal"
idea if ever I heard one. ( <-- sarcasm )
Old 04-24-2004, 11:54 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:59 PM
I think this kinda thing could only work in a city. ie Dr A doesnt do, for example, abortions so go to Dr B. Ditto HIV, The Pill for unmarried women, non Anglo-Saxons, etc.

But in the less serviced areas ie rural areas it could make life very very difficult.

Does anybody else remember that Irish teenage girl who was raped and had to go to England to have an abortion because it was against the (religious) law in Eire? Im hoping the developed world, at least, is past this kinda crap.