City of Philadelphia Adds $199,999 to Boy Scout HQ Rent Due to Gay Ban

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly, this all comes back to irrational prejudice and uninformed stereotypes, that quite honestly I'm shocked are still pervasive in much of our society. Deep down in the minds of many (extremely ignorant) people, homosexuality and pedophilia go hand in hand, so if you're gay you must also be a lecherous creep who preys on the innocent and can't control yourself.

It's appalling that otherwise sane and rational people can be so fearful and irrational when there is plenty of evidence to show their fears are completely unfounded.

Irvine511 said:
this is, of course, is the logical endpoint of BEB's line of thought.

it's so fucking ridiculous. i get so insulted when straight men assume that gay men act in a locker room in the manner in which they state that they would act in a women's locker room.

I get insulted when the female/gay male liberal majority on FYM assume that a couple of random anonymous posts on an internet forum somehow represent "The Officially Sanctioned Opinion of the Straight Man" (TM).

financeguy said:

I get insulted when the female/gay male liberal majority on FYM assume that a couple of random anonymous posts on an internet forum somehow represent "The Officially Sanctioned Opinion of the Straight Man" (TM).

fair enough, but i can think of two other straight male posters who have expressed the same fears and drawn the same conclusion -- gay man in a men's room = straight men in a woman's room.

and it's crap.

I suppose for tradition's sake, since we've had the 'locker room' discussion plenty of times before, I might as well also toss out...when was the last time you heard straight women freaking out about the possibility of lesbians being present in the women's locker room? Since that--not the presence of men (straight or gay) in the women's locker room--would be the appropriate analogy.

Last edited:
I also think there's a big difference of saying "i get so insulted when straight men assume..."

and

"I get so insulted that straight men assume..."

One(to me at least) means that some straight men think this way the other says all straight men think this way.

As a straight man I could easily say the first line and not feel any qualms about it.

yolland said:
I might as well also toss out...when was the last time you heard straight women freaking out about the possibility of lesbians being present in the women's locker room? Since that--not the presence of men (straight or gay) in the women's locker room--would be the appropriate analogy.

It's not something I ever hear women freaking out about. That would be the appropriate analogy. Or sleeping in the same tent, huddling in a foxhole..whatever.

Like Irvine said, I think the conclusion is crap too. I guess it's supposed to be like "ooh, the straight ones are coming after you and your daughters too and you don't care and you are letting them" Or something like that. And I guess that was some sort of diversion because BEB didn't want to answer the questions I asked.

Last edited:
All this locker room/tent thingy doesn't in any way justify to exclude gays and atheists entirely.

Even more so, where is the justification of barring atheists?

As said before, as a private organisation they might do so rightfully, and now have to accept their public funding and benefits be taken away.

However, could you give any reasoning to the atheist part of the story?

And seriously, what's the problem when a person is peeking you for a second? Will you get a heart attack or something? Will anything happen?

I've shared locker rooms with girls and slept in a tent with girls. Maybe I did the same with gays? :shrug:

if that's what it costs to keep the queers and godless off our boys, then so be it.

Come on Irvine, that was a low blow. lol.

No, you might think their policies are wrong, but you have to respect the freedoms afforded to a prive organization, period. So, they recieve no special treatment, fair enough.

I find it kind of weird that you guys are taking such glee in 'sticking it to the scouts', a bit hateful. A bit vengeful really. :(

MadelynIris said:

No, you might think their policies are wrong, but you have to respect the freedoms afforded to a prive organization, period. So, they recieve no special treatment, fair enough.

I find it kind of weird that you guys are taking such glee in 'sticking it to the scouts', a bit hateful. A bit vengeful really. :(

why does an organization that, for all it's positives, still insist on teaching these wretched values?

:shh: actually, it's because i hate america and i wish we were all pot-smoking hippie communist atheists

MadelynIris said:

Oh come on, who here isn't respecting the freedoms afforded to private organizations? In fact I've read many posts that state just that...

But why must we defend an organization that could really do well for children but would rather screw them over due to bigotries of the fathers?

Exactly. They can have whatever rules they want, but we can also point out when we think those rules are ludicrous and ask why they're even there.

BrownEyedBoy said:
I know you guys will probably hit the roof with this but just as there´s a boy´s tent and a girl´s tent, in order for things to work correctly there should be a "homosexual" tent.

Wow. Seriously...wow.

Yeah, people are gonna hit the roof when they hear something like that. Know why? 'Cause it doesn't make any sense.

Angela

MadelynIris said:

Could you point out where hate was involved?

And where do you see revenge? :scratch:

yolland said:
I suppose for tradition's sake, since we've had the 'locker room' discussion plenty of times before, I might as well also toss out...when was the last time you heard straight women freaking out about the possibility of lesbians being present in the women's locker room? Since that--not the presence of men (straight or gay) in the women's locker room--would be the appropriate analogy.

I live with two roommates. Two of us are straight, the third one is a lesbian. I don't live in fear that she's constantly checking me out or about to jump me in my sleep. I don't walk around covered up 24/7 for fear of initiating such a strong sexual response in her that she'd immediately come on to a straight woman. She doesn't look at me inappropriately, touch me inappropriately, or make strange comments. Unlike straight men, she's never grabbed my ass in public, yelled out derogatory things from her Camaro while driving past me or hooted at me while I was jogging.

Frankly were it not for the fact her girlfriend is a really loud screamer, the idea of her sex life would never even enter my mind.

MadelynIris said:

Uh, what?

I don't understand what you're saying. Vengeful? How?

I'm not denying that they are ALLOWED to discriminate. We're just disagreeing with the decision.

MadelynIris said:
Vince,

Ok, maybe I just read it wrong but...

Philidelphia raises the boy scout's rent from $1 to $200,000. Then these responses follow:

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=180900&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Not vengeful?

I don't know, I would call it schadenfreude to some extent, expecially understandable with melon and Irvine.

The good and awesome I would see as "Finally public subsidising of organisations that discriminate is cut" and "Finally, some sense entered the politics".
Vengeful if you greet some good measure? Not really.

anitram said:
Unlike straight men, she's never grabbed my ass in public, yelled out derogatory things from her Camaro while driving past me or hooted at me while I was jogging.

I was thinking about this whilst walking Sandy. Could this be the reason that so many straight men are terrified beyond reason of gay men? The fear that their own behavior may be directed back at them?

martha said:

Could this be the reason that so many straight men are terrified beyond reason of gay men? The fear that their own behavior may be directed back at them?

I thought that was pretty apparent in the gays in the military and the Harry Potter thread...

Irvine511 said:

as a father of girls, i'd be perfectly fine with them sleeping in the same tent as the lesbians.

See, this is a wrong way of thinking because how many lesbians do you know of that have raped other women? I'm not saying homosexuals will rape all I'm trying to point out is that men are wired differently and think differently. And I know I'll probably get the selective ignorance from you saying "No way, men view sex the exact same way that women do" so I do think I'm just wasting my time arguing with you.

And for the record, I do know plenty of straight women who prefer not to change in front of a lesbian woman.

Last edited:
BrownEyedBoy said:

See, this is a wrong way of thinking because how many lesbians do you know of that have raped other women? I'm not saying homosexuals will rape all I'm trying to point out is that men are wired differently and think differently. And I know I'll probably get the selective ignorance from you saying "No way, men view sex the exact same way that women do" so I do think I'm just wasting my time arguing with you.
It's true, most rapists are men rather than women. So what? Some rapists are religious, some aren't, some are hispanic, some are white, some are straight, some are gay, some are black, etc...

Rape is about power. What does any of this have to do with the Boy Scouts?

There was a serial rapist caught here in Texas, he was a boy scout leader and an active member of his church, guess who his victims were? Middle age women.

BrownEyedBoy said:

And for the record, I do know plenty of straight women who prefer not to change in front of a lesbian woman.

I know women who prefer not to change in front of their husbands...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It's true, most rapists are men rather than women. So what? Some rapists are religious, some aren't, some are hispanic, some are white, some are straight, some are gay, some are black, etc...

Rape is about power. What does any of this have to do with the Boy Scouts?

There was a serial rapist caught here in Texas, he was a boy scout leader and an active member of his church, guess who his victims were? Middle age women.

I know women who prefer not to change in front of their husbands...

I was trying to back up the fact that men do think about sex differently than women. That is why you don't see women being stressed out about sleeping in the same tents as lesbians. All I'm trying to back up is that men are different than women and so whoever pointed out that women don't mind lesbians is wrong in their comparison because men and women are just wired differently.

BrownEyedBoy said:

I was trying to back up the fact that men do think about sex differently than women. That is why you don't see women being stressed out about sleeping in the same tents as lesbians. All I'm trying to back up is that men are different than women and so whoever pointed out that women don't mind lesbians is wrong in their comparison because men and women are just wired differently.

But then why the hell did you bring up rapists? Rape has very little to do with sex, and absolutely nothing to do with this paticular discussion.

The rape issue has not one iota of logic behind it when it comes to this discussion.

Again, trying to show you that men and women think differently when it comes to sex. Why can't you see that? Oh right, in order to win your argument we will choose to selectively ignore facts that might back up the other persons argument.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Again, trying to show you that men and women think differently when it comes to sex. Why can't you see that? Oh right, in order to win your argument we will choose to selectively ignore facts that might back up the other persons argument.

:huh: What am I ignoring?

Once again, answer this, what does rape have to do with sex?

Back
Top Bottom