"Christmas" or "Holiday"? : 5 Scenarios - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2005, 06:04 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 10:32 PM
For the life of me, I just can't understand why people are so desperate to wipe out christmas.

I'm Jewish and obviously don't celebrate christmas, but if I were living in the USA I would very willingly join in the festivities vis-a-vis parties, decorations, and wishing "Merry Christmas". I wouldn't force anyone to negate their own holiday just to give me a false sense of equality.

I LOVE the fact that people of different faiths celebrate different holidays - I would hate to have one generic bland "holiday" which negates the uniqueness of each faith.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:00 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Could you not sincerely send and wish a "Happy Holiday Season"?

Interesting to know that a Muslin card would delight you

when we have a large portion of the country throwing shitfits about receiving "Holiday Greetings"
Well I've an Irish friend, talk to him alot, as a person living in America, yeah holiday greetings is okay, but I wouldn't send one to my Irish friend.

Vacation Greetings?

Holidays=Vacation where he lives.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:26 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 08:32 AM
I've seen holiday cards that included the peace dove with the various country flags surrounding it....it's very nice and tasteful enough to give to any employee or friend regardless of their religious beliefs.

I've never heard anyone have a shitfit regarding what a card says or doesn't say - I think most people are just happy to get mail that doesn't include the words "you owe"......
Old 12-14-2005, 08:26 AM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 10:32 PM
Has anyone else bought the lovely blue and gold Eid holiday stamps from the post office? My mother-in-law sent me an offensive email suggesting that they be boycotted. You can be sure her card will this year will bear one, as will all the others I send out.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:31 AM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:32 PM
Re: "Christmas" or "Holiday"? : 5 Scenarios

1. B... it is a party celebrating all holidays, so all decorations should be included, leaving no one out.
2. C
3. B... i always say to people "happy holidays" unless i know for certain which holiday they celebrate. who am i to assume they celebrate one or the other? hard core right wingers who have a problem with this can bite me.
4. A... it's a fucking christmas tree. should we start calling it a holiday minorah? of course not.
5. C... see the answer to #3 for explanation.
6. this entire argument shows the absolute stupidity of both the far left and the far right. they're both friggin wrong. there is nothing wrong with a mall putting up a sign that says happy holidays in order to be all inclusive to whomever uses the mall to shop, but at the same time, it's a fucking christmas tree and should not be called anything else. if someone wants to put up a nativity scene? a christmas tree? a giant minorah? play christmas songs? haunakah songs? go nuts...

listening to people argue this issue is making me dumber by the second.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:20 PM   #21
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
this entire argument shows the absolute stupidity of both the far left and the far right. they're both friggin wrong. there is nothing wrong with a mall putting up a sign that says happy holidays in order to be all inclusive to whomever uses the mall to shop, but at the same time, it's a fucking christmas tree and should not be called anything else. if someone wants to put up a nativity scene? a christmas tree? a giant minorah? play christmas songs? haunakah songs? go nuts...

listening to people argue this issue is making me dumber by the second.
I agree with you and, like a lot of us I suppose, am inclined to the self-flattering view that I was very reasonable and easygoing about all this until someone decided to make it an issue. I am all for unabashed displays of holiday regalia of all kinds and, in fact, am looking forward to a Christmas carols concert I plan to attend on campus later today. But as someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas, I find it very distressing that there are clearly a significant number of people who think saying "Happy Holidays" to strangers and casual acquaintances, or having an inclusive party with multiple traditions in evidence, is "spineless" or "kowtowing" or most insultingly of all, "unpatriotic."

I think part of the reason why this issue is so bizarrely volcanic is that it conflates two issues that are already hot buttons in their own right: the public status of religion, on the one hand, and the extent to which cultural minorities deserve representation within the mainstream, on the other.
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
The question contains one false dilemma. A party with a tree and Santa, called a Christmas party, is secular. It is part of the local tradition and is celebrated by up to 90% of the country (where the percentage of Christians in this country is far lower). If the school was to throw a party, I would expect some educational aspect to it. Learning about the varied cultural differences of secular Christmas around the world would be just as important as understanding Chanukah and Kwanza. Actually, I don't know how to teach Chanukah without a religious message, and it would be perfectly fine with me.
Hmmm, well, in the rather narrow sense in which I was considering it, it's not a false dilemma because I don't personally recognize Christmas, the manger version, and Christmas, the Santa version, as truly being two different holidays. On the other hand, you raise a good point that I was essentially conveniently sidestepping the religious dimensions issue. But as far as it goes it is perfectly possible to present Chanukah in a secular light, as it above all is commemorating the Maccabees' victory over the persecutory Syrian Greek occupiers. The miracle of the lamps burning for eight days isn't found in the Bible anyway; it's a Talmudic legend that came to define the holiday under postexilic conditions, in the context of rabbinic disapproval of the Maccabees (who weren't of the House of David, and therefore not qualified to reinstate the monarchy much less assume its mantle, as they did). So few consider the miracle to be historic, but it is a powerful allegory of the persistence of faith in the face of persecution.
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
I will grade your quiz
And to think I just finished going over my course evaluation feedback for this semester, only to come here and find out my POSTS are being "graded" too!

Good points though.