Christian Rock is the most hypocritical thing ever.... - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2005, 08:33 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

But isn't thanking that god for the gifts bestowed upon you focusing on god? Let's face it, people thank god in church all the time for various things they believe that god gave them. So, except for our squeamishness, why not a big "thanks for inventing sex!" once in a while?
A married couple's "big thanks" to God for creating sex would certainly be appropriate, but not in a church setting. A song about sex would definitely distract focus from God and onto the pleasures of sexual intimacy.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:09 PM   #77
Babyface

Local Time: 12:36 PM
Apparently, woman and men around the world do enough praising DURING sex... so, they don't need to sing about it in Church.

I have to look at some of the older folk who go to my Church... could NEVER look them in the eye again, if I heard them praising God for their Love Making skills...

Although, the idea of it is now making me laugh!

Old 06-29-2005, 12:19 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

But isn't thanking that god for the gifts bestowed upon you focusing on god? Let's face it, people thank god in church all the time for various things they believe that god gave them. So, except for our squeamishness, why not a big "thanks for inventing sex!" once in a while?
It is done in a respectful, dignified manner.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #79
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

It is done in a respectful, dignified manner.
Yes, I've heard thanks given for sex at my church, and my church is pretty conservative. So there.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:14 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by 2Hearts

Yes, I've heard thanks given for sex at my church, and my church is pretty conservative. So there.
What were the words in which they said "thanks for sex", and was it in a church service, or a Bible Study? And was it a song about sex?

In my 37 years, I've attended plenty of churches, Baptist and nondenominational, and I've never heard a "thank you for sex" in a church service.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:22 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

Delirious (esp. 'Mezzamorphis')
i saw these guys last spring at a big church in lancaster county. i'm not a christian (anymore), and while their conservative overtones were a bit too blugeoningly direct for my tastes...they sounded fuckin incredible. probably one of the best sounding live bands i've ever heard.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:14 PM   #82
War Child

contemporary christian music
indie "christian" rock

bands/musicians such as sufjan stevens, sleeping at last, copeland, mae, further seems forever, amberlin, acceptance, cool hand luke, pedro the lion, and switchfoot (tho they're not indie anymore) are all fantastic bands.

many of them are christians and have positive messages but don't have all christian-focused lyrics. CCM on the other hand sickens me, mediocre adult christian mainstream "music" not offending any religions or denominations crap gives christian music a bad name.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:30 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

i'm not a christian (anymore
You're not a Christian anymore? I don't understand that.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:57 PM   #84
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

What were the words in which they said "thanks for sex", and was it in a church service, or a Bible Study? And was it a song about sex?

In my 37 years, I've attended plenty of churches, Baptist and nondenominational, and I've never heard a "thank you for sex" in a church service.
Well, I was thinking about Bible study and Youth group meetings where sex is actually discussed in some detail. The nature/purpose of, responsibilites of, and the blessing of sex have been discussed. My group leader made it clear (in a proper way) that sex is a wonderful thing. It's not something that has been talked about a lot though.

I don't think Indra was asking if anyone has actually prayed the exact words "God, thank you for sex" at church. I have not heard it said like that!
Old 07-02-2005, 08:31 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Well, I was thinking about Bible study and Youth group meetings where sex is actually discussed in some detail. The nature/purpose of, responsibilites of, and the blessing of sex have been discussed. My group leader made it clear (in a proper way) that sex is a wonderful thing. It's not something that has been talked about a lot though.

I don't think Indra was asking if anyone has actually prayed the exact words "God, thank you for sex" at church. I have not heard it said like that!
Thank kind of talks about sex in Bible study, etc. thing is perfectly normal, and teenagers need to know that in the right context, sex is good. But what brought this up was that someone said that you'd never hear U2 songs about sex in church, and I asked "would you expect to?"
Old 07-02-2005, 12:54 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

You're not a Christian anymore? I don't understand that.
i no longer believe that jesus was the one true manifestation of the living god sent to earth as a sacrifice for the sins of humanity, etc. i did, however, spend the first 19 years of my life or so believing such.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:57 PM   #87
War Child

Local Time: 08:36 AM
I don't think "Christian Rock" is hypocritical. Nor do I think it's all bad. Some of it is, just like regular ol' rock isn't all good. To each his/her own.

I find it interesting that a lot of people slag the genre just because of the word "Christian" there. And I also hate how so many acts are afraid/ashamed to say they're Christian it's like no, no, don't lump me with them. You can be a Christian and make music with a message without being preachy.