Christian Rock is the most hypocritical thing ever.... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2005, 11:50 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:49 AM
FREE STEVE TAYLOR MP3s

For those of you interested in obtaining Steve Taylor MP3 free of charge, with his expressed written consent, a few of his CDs are available at

http://www.onfritz.com/TaylorDownloads.html

My fave CDS are I Predict 1990 and Squint. I think most of you would like Squint best.

Old 06-23-2005, 04:46 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:49 PM
I don't think rock music is hypocritical per-sey... but it is alot of times.

So many bands that claim to be singing for the glory of God are blatantly prideful and singing for their own glory. Pride is a huge sin and no one promoting God should have the "hey look at my awesome talent" syndrome going on.

Old 06-23-2005, 04:54 PM   #48
Refugee

mat kearney (matkearney.com)
excellent, nothing trite or watered down about his lyrics.

I think you will find in a lot of Christian denominations today embrace rock music, music in general, art, and culture in very different ways than they church did in the past.

A clear understanding of what the Bible actually says on the subject is quite helpful in filtering out the 'Rock music is the devils music' crowd.

As a Christian, I listen to almost no 'Christian' music. Although I have a very different worldview from Thom Yorke or Jeff Tweedy I worship God through listening to Wilco and Radiohead (and many, many others). I thank God for the talents He has given them, and can absolutely see the beauty of the creation of music and what a wonderful gift it is. I often disagree with their stances on political issues, or even lyrical content- but that doesn't make their music void of value.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:52 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
The Alarm
Just wanting to say that I totally agree with you about these guys. I've been getting into this band within the last year and a half or so...they've got some good stuff .

Also, sallycinnamon, LOL, I've seen that "South Park" episode. Funny stuff .

Angela
Old 06-23-2005, 06:40 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Angela, a few years ago, there was a deal going that if you bought all the remastered ALarm CDs, Mike Peters (the singer) would record any Alarm song you wanted him to specially for you and record a special dedication just how you wanted it. Even if he got the same song requested by multiple people, he recorded it specifically for each person. He recorded "Walk Forever In The Light" over 200 times. I had him record "ONly Love Can Set Me Free" with a goofy little dedication.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:45 PM   #51
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Angela, a few years ago, there was a deal going that if you bought all the remastered ALarm CDs, Mike Peters (the singer) would record any Alarm song you wanted him to specially for you and record a special dedication just how you wanted it. Even if he got the same song requested by multiple people, he recorded it specifically for each person. He recorded "Walk Forever In The Light" over 200 times. I had him record "ONly Love Can Set Me Free" with a goofy little dedication.
Whoah, that's crazy dedication there...
Old 06-23-2005, 07:07 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
I've heard about that. That's a really nice gesture on his part, and pretty cool that you got a dedication .

Angela
Old 06-23-2005, 07:32 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

He's doing video dedications now, if you feel like buying some concert DVDs.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:33 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Whoah, that's crazy dedication there...
Yeah, Mike loves his fans.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:29 PM   #55
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 05:49 AM
i remember steve taylor. he did meltdown at madame tussauds. for those of you who don't know, i grew up in a fairly fanatical, semi-panicky church environment. secular music was not allowed. it was considered a sin, for reasons i could not explain to you now. so us pre-teens listened to artists such as steve taylor, undercover (god rules!), and stryper. (hey, we did what we could)

many posts in this thread mention U2 as a christian band, which is quite amusing to me on a very personal level because way back in 1984, i was able to convince my parents that U2 was, indeed, a christian band - thanks to articles like the one 2hearts mentioned.

for christmas that year, there was a copy of unforgettable fire under the tree.

and the rest, as they say, is history.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:47 PM   #56
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Yeah, Mike loves his fans.
I just can't imagine spending that much time in the studio "re-doing" a song. Seriously he re-recorded it everytime? Or did he just re-record the dedication?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:53 PM   #57
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84
i remember steve taylor. he did meltdown at madame tussauds. for those of you who don't know, i grew up in a fairly fanatical, semi-panicky church environment. secular music was not allowed. it was considered a sin, for reasons i could not explain to you now. so us pre-teens listened to artists such as steve taylor, undercover (god rules!), and stryper. (hey, we did what we could)

many posts in this thread mention U2 as a christian band, which is quite amusing to me on a very personal level because way back in 1984, i was able to convince my parents that U2 was, indeed, a christian band - thanks to articles like the one 2hearts mentioned.

for christmas that year, there was a copy of unforgettable fire under the tree.

and the rest, as they say, is history.
I have a friend who grew up in a very fanatical home(for the life of me I can't remember the denomination, but they wouldn't allow women to play any role in the church except secretary, yet they allowed us to watch the shining at a lock-in ) He wasn't allowed to listen to anything secular except country music(which I found odd because all the popular country songs of the time had to do with drinking, crashing weddings and kicking ass) and U2, but as soon as AB came out the congregation changed their mind and U2 was put on the banned list.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:57 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I just can't imagine spending that much time in the studio "re-doing" a song. Seriously he re-recorded it everytime? Or did he just re-record the dedication?
If he knows the song well, I can't see why even re-recording it should take all that long. I mean I have whole albums which were written and recorded in a week to ten days, so it doesn't sound completely out of whack to me.

Whatever he did, it's still a pretty impressive thing.

Isn't The Alarm the band that had/has these big fan gatherings? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Old 06-23-2005, 10:14 PM   #59
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
There's a difference between Christian Rock and rock by Christians. I've heard plenty of Christians make great rock, but never any even moderately good Christian Rock. Who are considered the best ? (Musically, not just the biggest).
switchfoot is pretty amazing, and even better live. the lead singer john foreman has talked with bono about africa, and they're helping with the ONE campaign.

i've heard them say in interviews that they are not a "Christian band", instead they're just a group of Christians who play rock music and don't claim to have all the answers.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:34 PM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

If he knows the song well, I can't see why even re-recording it should take all that long. I mean I have whole albums which were written and recorded in a week to ten days, so it doesn't sound completely out of whack to me.

Whatever he did, it's still a pretty impressive thing.

Isn't The Alarm the band that had/has these big fan gatherings? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Yeah but no matter how many times you do it, if you are doing it 200 times and each one is asked to be different will take time, you're going to make mistakes and have to restart. He said one song he did 200 times, let's say it's a 3 minute song with dedication(which is a very conservative number). If he recorded it without mistakes or breaks between songs that one song took 10 hours of studio time. That's a lot to do for free, especially given the fact that that's just one song, who knows how many request he got in total.